• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Welding on Bolt

Buddhapapa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2004
Kennewick, WA
Hello,

Could one of you gentlemen tell me if welding on a new bolt knob requires special treatment so as not to effect the metals hardening? I believe the metal is 4140 on the new knob but I don't know what metal is used in the stock bolt. Thank you,

Buddhapapa

[email protected]

Re: Welding on Bolt

My smith cut the knob off of my Remington bolt and drilled and tapped for a stud. Once the threaded rod was installed the new knob was threaded onto it.

Pretty easy to do with common tools.

Cut

What kind of bolt knob are you using that is directly welded on to the handle? Im not sure Ive ever seen one. You shouldn't have to worry about the heat treatment at the end of the bolt. Heat treatment of firearms is important in areas where pressure happens. The only thing the heat is going to do on the handle is mess up the bluing or whatever finish you currently have on it. Depending on what type of welding you are doing, you could always wrap a damp red shop cloth around the lugs to keep them cool. I always use that technique when bending military bolt handles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buddhapapa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,

Could one of you gentlemen tell me if welding on a new bolt knob requires special treatment so as not to effect the metals hardening? I believe the metal is 4140 on the new knob but I don't know what metal is used in the stock bolt. Thank you,

Buddhapapa

[email protected] </div></div>
Send your bolt to <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Monteboy84</span></span>. You can PM him here or over at Sniper Central. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Matt</span></span>, aka <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Monteboy84"</span></span> has installed hundreds of the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversions. Below are a bunch of photos I borrowed from <span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span>'s <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Some bolt knob install pictures"</span></span> thread. Bolts are shown in various stages of the Tac Ops Bolt Knob Conversion. I highly recommend that the TOBKC be installed by <span style="font-style: italic">monteboy84</span>, because it is NOT a DYI install.

100_0001.jpg

100_0010.jpg

100_0011.jpg

100_0006.jpg

100_0008.jpg

100_0009.jpg

100_0002.jpg

100_0014.jpg

100_0017.jpg

100_0016.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Process continued below...</span></span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">...Continued</span></span>

Below are post-shaping and sanding photos. <span style="font-weight: bold">NOTE:</span> Matt, aka <span style="font-style: italic">"monteboy84"</span> does not work for Tac Ops, but he has done more than a hundred TOBKCs' and has it down to a science.

100_0018.jpg

100_0019.jpg

100_0020.jpg

100_0022.jpg

100_0023.jpg

100_0024.jpg

100_0025.jpg

100_0026.jpg

100_0027.jpg

100_0028.jpg

Keith

Thanks guys! I weld the bolts up relatively quick, and keep an air blowgun handy while I'm working. When I've got the entire fixture welded to the handle, I use the blowgun to cool the handle, focusing on the area closest to the bolt body and moving out to the welded area. The main focus on a Remington bolt is to keep heat out of the brazed joint between the bolt handle and bolt body, as excess heat will weaken this attachment point. Strength will be compromised here long before the temper of the bolt is harmed, but rarely does this area get more than warm to the touch with the process I use.

-matt

Thats one of the slicker weld jobs I have seen. Can you weld the junction at the bolt body too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4-Pilot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats one of the slicker weld jobs I have seen. Can you weld the junction at the bolt body too? </div></div>

I technically could, but bolt/extraction timing is critical there, so I'd need to have the action here with the bolt and I'm just not set up to handle that currently. Thanks!

-matt

The only special treatment I'd give the bolt is making sure you send it to Matt. He does a great job, and you'll have it back before you know it.