• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well I did it, stepped up and bought that barrett

Benchshoot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2007
Arkansas
M98B, got me some tactical Millet mounts and put me a US optics S-22 on it. I have been figuring for a while on what I needed for a 1 mile shot and I believe this set up is going to be it.

Re: Well I did it, stepped up and bought that barrett

2lw7j28.jpg

And we will expect a full range report on that one mile shot, Congrats!

I don't know where in Arkansas that you can buy a firearm at 11:27 p.m.

Nice, those look sweet. PICS and report ASAP!!

Congrats on new rifle.

Cool ! What ammo are you going to try in it for the mile shot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know where in Arkansas that you can buy a firearm at 12:27 p.m. </div></div>

Well I didn't buy it at the same time I posted about. I had been home for a while with some friends. Bought it about 1500 yesterday

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool ! What ammo are you going to try in it for the mile shot?
</div></div>

Well I don't think it will be anything I can pick up at Walmart or Gander Mtn. I will try out some loads bullets until I get the cronongraph to read about 3300 and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2lw7j28.jpg

And we will expect a full range report on that one mile shot, Congrats! </div></div>

I will do that

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know where in Arkansas that you can buy a firearm at 12:27 p.m. </div></div>

I bought it in Houston, any more dumb questions

Very sweet rifle, please let us know how it shoots!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool ! What ammo are you going to try in it for the mile shot?
</div></div>

Well I don't think it will be anything I can pick up at Walmart or Gander Mtn. I will try out some loads bullets until I get the cronongraph to read about 3300 and go from there. </div></div>

3300 is going to be too hot for a 250 or 300 grain bullet..unless you're planning on running something lighter? Sorry, just don't want you chasing an unobtainable velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool ! What ammo are you going to try in it for the mile shot?
</div></div>

Well I don't think it will be anything I can pick up at Walmart or Gander Mtn. I will try out some loads bullets until I get the cronongraph to read about 3300 and go from there. </div></div>

3300 is going to be too hot for a 250 or 300 grain bullet..unless you're planning on running something lighter? Sorry, just don't want you chasing an unobtainable velocity. </div></div>
I was planning on a 250. What kind of pressure do you think I would have to get 3300?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was planning on a 250. What kind of pressure do you think I would have to get 3300? </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="text-decoration: underline">DANGEROUS ONES </span> </span>

3300fps with a 250gr bullet isnt going to happen with a safe 338LM load. Now a 200gr might get there but the BC isnt there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know where in Arkansas that you can buy a firearm at 12:27 p.m. </div></div>

I bought it in Houston, any more dumb questions </div></div> No, but I don't know why you made two different posts about it.

Factory 250gr runs about 2915 from the 27" 98Bs I've chronoed.

Nice rifle by the way!

BTW I have talked to the gunsmiths are Barrett about the 98B and they told me it was designed to run 300gr rounds through it.

With that setup you will hit at 1760 yards no problem, but not at 3300 fps. Hornady's 250gr BTHP will put you at 3100fps.

Right now if I took it at 1760 yards thats +65.3 MOA 1216.2 fps 985.2 ft-lbs at the target in 2.915 sec. That's assumeing an alt of 853ft, 76.0f 82% RH, 29.96inHg with a 300gr HPBT sierra MatchKing coef .768 with 2800fps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jglumley</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> BTW I have talked to the gunsmiths are Barrett about the 98B and they told me it was designed to run 300gr rounds through it.

With that setup you will hit at 1760 yards no problem, but not at 3300 fps. Hornady's 250gr BTHP will put you at 3100fps.

</div></div>

Expect more like 2900 with Hornady 250gr ammo.

Well here is what I have found out so far H4831SC with 92grains and a 250grain Lapua scenar will give you 3150 fps out of a 27 in Barrell.

I have a range back home that I have set up now for 1000 yards. It can get out to 2000 very easily. I have to be here in Texas until mid August in Houston, that sucks. I am having cancer treated at MD Anderson which is good. I should be a cured man when I leave.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ADT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know where in Arkansas that you can buy a firearm at 12:27 p.m. </div></div>

I bought it in Houston, any more dumb questions </div></div> No, but I don't know why you made two different posts about it. </div></div>

You know what punk, I let you pass one time but I think it's time to put you in your place. You're an ass, a jerkwad and I doubt you've ever hit a target with your Red Rider.

I'm in Houston if you say you're in central Texas maybe Austin where the rest of the fags live? I'd be happy to meet you half way and have a talk about it.

Semper Fi

Congrats on the purchase. I am in Houston as well-maybe i will see you at the range some times. And i would not waste your time with ADT-with the mouth he has on him he has a hard road ahead of him as it is.

avd

Wouldn't 12:27PM just be a little after lunch, I can think of lots of places to buy guns at a little after lunch. 12:27 AM thats another cat thats a little harder to skin

I thought the samething.....
Who cares when you bought it.......

I think he was looking at the time stamp on the original post: 11:27pm and just misspelled it.

And to add to the .338LM going 3300fps - forget about that! Push the 250 Scenar to 2900fps or the 300 to 2700 and you're good to a mile -easy.

If your up for it and it doesn't rain us out a number of guys go to American Shooters on Saterdays to shoot steel at 600. Your more than welcome to come and and shoot the shit, or the steel. Its a good time and we usualy go out for lunch afterwards.

Otherwise good luck on the cancer treatment, you came to the right place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is what I have found out so far H4831SC with 92grains and a 250grain Lapua scenar will give you 3150 fps out of a 27 in Barrell.

I have a range back home that I have set up now for 1000 yards. It can get out to 2000 very easily. I have to be here in Texas until mid August in Houston, that sucks. I am having cancer treated at MD Anderson which is good. I should be a cured man when I leave. </div></div>

Well that's higher than I thought you'd be able to get
blush.gif
3150 for a 250 grain is definitely on the high side of things, I'd check your dope with a ballistics calculator to see if it agrees with that MV as it's much more common to see velocity in the range of 2900-3000 with a 250gr pill. Also, how's that Barrett shooting for you? I've seen mixed reviews online and would love to hear from someone who's actually shot one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is what I have found out so far H4831SC with 92grains and a 250grain Lapua scenar will give you 3150 fps out of a 27 in Barrell.

I have a range back home that I have set up now for 1000 yards. It can get out to 2000 very easily. I have to be here in Texas until mid August in Houston, that sucks. I am having cancer treated at MD Anderson which is good. I should be a cured man when I leave. </div></div>

Well that's higher than I thought you'd be able to get
blush.gif
3150 for a 250 grain is definitely on the high side of things, I'd check your dope with a ballistics calculator to see if it agrees with that MV as it's much more common to see velocity in the range of 2900-3000 with a 250gr pill. Also, how's that Barrett shooting for you? I've seen mixed reviews online and would love to hear from someone who's actually shot one. </div></div>

I could use a suppressor, I haven't actually got to go out and see what it's potential is. At 200 yards it is very good. I love that scope. My ears are still ringing a little even with the ear protection. That is a loud SOB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I could use a suppressor, I haven't actually got to go out and see what it's potential is. At 200 yards it is very good. I love that scope. My ears are still ringing a little even with the ear protection. That is a loud SOB </div></div>

I had a TRG-41 in 338 LM many years ago and decided I was going to shoot it without a muzzle brake. (I didn't like the Mickey Mouse method of running a cross bolt through it and didn't want to ruin the value of the rifle by threading the barrel).

So there I was shooting the 250 grain Lapua factory load (~2950 fps IIRC) and I anchored in behind that beast. I squeezed the trigger and WHAM ! I thought that a Mack truck had overshot the parking lot and run into me. It was like being in a car wreck without a seatbelt. My shooting glasses had moved off my right eye and were at an angle and my headphone was slid backwards off my right ear. I thought a young Mike Tyson had snuck up and blind-sided me with a sucker punch. Of course I pulled off the rifle looking for a grille ornament stuck into my side or something that would explain why I had been so violently shook. Nope... no car or dump truck. Being the idiot that I was/am I didn't want to appear a wuss so I climbed back onto the bull's back and decided I was going to ride this beast even if I had to super-glue myself to it.

All I really remember from that day was going to bed with a headache.

That rifle lives far away from me now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your up for it and it doesn't rain us out a number of guys go to American Shooters on Saterdays to shoot steel at 600. Your more than welcome to come and and shoot the shit, or the steel. Its a good time and we usualy go out for lunch afterwards.

Otherwise good luck on the cancer treatment, you came to the right place. </div></div>

i love the American Shooters range,. everytime i go visit my folks in Richmond i make sure to bring something down with me just so i have a excuse to go to THAT range.

get there if you can, its a nice place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is what I have found out so far H4831SC with 92grains and a 250grain Lapua scenar will give you 3150 fps out of a 27 in Barrell. </div></div>

Benchshoot,
Is this load first hand tested at the range in your rifle or was this load given to you? The reason I'm asking is that according to my interior ballistics program its a fairly overpressure load . (approx 77,000 psi) I know there are other variables which I cant account for, just wanted clarification on that load. I know these programs can have a fairly large swing and I don't take the calculations as concrete but it's been pretty good to me in the past.

Thanks, Jon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Benchshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well here is what I have found out so far H4831SC with 92grains and a 250grain Lapua scenar will give you 3150 fps out of a 27 in Barrell. </div></div>

Benchshoot,
Is this load first hand tested at the range in your rifle or was this load given to you? The reason I'm asking is that according to my interior ballistics program its a fairly overpressure load . (approx 77,000 psi) I know there are other variables which I cant account for, just wanted clarification on that load. I know these programs can have a fairly large swing and I don't take the calculations as concrete but it's been pretty good to me in the past.

Thanks, Jon </div></div>

Agreed, I'm coming up with 79,900psi on my computers. Muzzle velocity would be ~ 3135 fps. WOW!!

Just so you guys know, Benchshoot was banned for being delusional.....i wouldnt trust dick that he said.