• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Well that was dumb (Check that... I was dumb)

SABuzzard

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Discovered if you reassemble your AR (after cleaning) with the bold rotated 180 degrees the wrong way in the carrier it no workie so well. Also discovered it's a booger to clear the result of said cluster in the field in the pitch black after squeezing off the first round at a hog while night hunting. Redeemed some pride in myself by quickly realizing my knuckle head move and then stripping and properly reassembling in the dark. Quickly lost said pride when I jumped in the truck to transition to the next stalk area and realized I had gun oil and carbon slop smeared across my face like a clown...

I'm putting the rifle up and opening a beer. Start over fresh another night :)

Me too?... I think some may allow this to occur and dont have the tapered cam pin hole?

SABuzzard, what kind of rig you runnin for pigs?

I think I may remember my M16 could do that? All my AR bolts don't allow it though. So I'm guessing cheaper bolts allow it?

SABuzzard, what kind of rig you runnin for pigs?

Franken gun...
12.5" 6.8 SPC II ARP barrel
SR-7 suppressor
Pulsar XP50 Thermal
Noveske upper receiver and Noveske complete lower with Geissele SD-E trigger
Bolt and bolt carrier I'm going back through my receipts to track down.

Edit: Found the specs on the BCG:
--AR Performance M-16 Carrier- NiB coated
--AR performance NiB 6.8 9310 alloy enhanced bolt
Bolt can be assembled in either orientation easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShooterwithNoName
I thought AR bolts have a tapered hole that does not allow the cam pin to be installed while the bolt is in the wrong orientation?

This one does not. It's just as easy to assemble it in either orientation. Specs are:
--AR Performance M-16 Carrier- NiB coated
--AR performance NiB 6.8 9310 alloy enhanced bolt

When I get back to the house I'm going to have to check out the other ARs to see if this is the exception or if other manufacturers do the same.

I always took it for granted that something like this would never happen due to the hole size. Thanks for posting your “learning”. At least you had beer.

Discovered if you reassemble your AR (after cleaning) with the bold rotated 180 degrees the wrong way in the carrier it no workie so well. Also discovered it's a booger to clear the result of said cluster in the field in the pitch black after squeezing off the first round at a hog while night hunting. Redeemed some pride in myself by quickly realizing my knuckle head move and then stripping and properly reassembling in the dark. Quickly lost said pride when I jumped in the truck to transition to the next stalk area and realized I had gun oil and carbon slop smeared across my face like a clown...

I'm putting the rifle up and opening a beer. Start over fresh another night :)

You're a better man than me for getting on a public forum & admitting to such a FU as this.............LOL :)

Happens to the best of us... still good stuff to keep in mind. I just tried my Colt FA carrier group to see if I could do this and sure enough, it can be installed 180° opposite. My other bolts: Young, JP, RRA have the taper machined into the underside of the cam pin hole.

Happens to the best of us... still good stuff to keep in mind. I just tried my Colt FA carrier group to see if I could do this and sure enough, it can be installed 180° opposite. My other bolts: Young, JP, RRA have the taper machined into the underside of the cam pin hole.

Thanks for checking that. You learn something new everyday.

I've tried and failed to do this many times but I've never had a cam pin that would go in the wrong side. I have to fall back on breaking screw heads off inside scope mounts many more times than I should-with a torque wrench mind you.