• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Wells Suppressor Review Updated 10 JULY 2014

rdgshooteer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2006
Lewistown, PA
A few months ago I asked about Wells suppressors and got some good info. So I decided to give him a call and visit to check out his suppressors. I also said that I would do a review of it once I got it. I searched and did not see any full reviews of his cans after others had got them. I went up at the end of January to see his shop and talk to him. I have to say his customer service has been awesome this far. I was the first form 4 that they had efiled and as such we were not sure what size file that could be upload. The file I had my trust in was the full thing so it had to be broken down into smaller files for uploading. They were very patient through out the whole thing. Do to the issues with e file it took a few days for everything to finally be uploaded into e forms. Once it was uploaded I received an email confirming it had been submitted. On June 26th I received an email that the ATF had called and that the whole trust hadn't fully uploaded and they had to fax it in. My stamp was finally approved on 1 July after a 4.5 month wait. I picked it up on 3 July as that was the earliest I could get up there.

The fit and finish of the can is amazing. It mates up nicely with the shoulder on my rifle. I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet as I have had to work and have company in from out of town and need to load some more rounds before going to the range. I will take pics at the range to upload.

As this is going to be my first review this is what I have planned to test the can. I am going to shoot 5 shot groups at 100 yards both suppressed and unsuppressed to take out any human error on my part I want to do at least 5 groups of each to make sure I don't shoot one really good group and say that a really tiny group either way is normal. I also plan on taking the can off between the suppressed groups to check repeatability in shift. I will also be letting everything sit for 15 minutes between groups.

Also if there is anyone in PA that shoots at Mifflin County that has a suppressor or within a reasonable drive of Mifflin County that has a suppressor and wouldn't mind comparing sound between different cans I would be interested in that. As Mifflin County doesn't allow visitors to shoot if your range allows visitors to shoot I can make the trip as long as it is a reasonable distance.

I know that video isn't the best for trying to judge sound from cans but I can upload video shooting it as well.

The rounds I will be using is 175 SMK over 41.8 IMR 4064 in Lapua Brass with CCI primers. I will not be shooting any subs.

If there is anything else that should be included in the review let me know. As much as I want to get out and try it I want to try and provide the best review as possible and like I said it'll probably be the end of the week until I am actually able to get to the range.

Last edited:
2e4da1x.jpg

unsuppressed

35k6236.jpg

suppressed
Ok here is the results from the range today, and before anyone starts yes I realize I shot like shit all the way around today. I did my best at trying to measure the widest area of the grouping using calipers from outside edge to outside edge. The fit of the can to the rifle is perfect. It did not loosen up at all while shooting. I am also learning the joys of shooting with a can and the draw backs. The grouping on the bottom right that is really wide open was the result of mirage I tried shooting through it. I have learned that isn't the best idea. I had fired one group just previous to firing a second and by the 7th round the mirage was really bad. I should have probably dialed back the mag to see if it helped but didn't. It is very repeatable with taken it on and off as 4 out 5 groups were shot this way. The group in the upper right I started attempting to adjust zero while grouping and realized after the fact that was a bad idea. Id like to say thank you to astroman1 for bringing his Templar can with him to hear the difference.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase of the can. Dave and Ami have great customer service and are readily available to answer any questions.

I have a cover on order to deal with the mirage.

Last edited: