• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Maggie’s Went To A Rugby Match and a Hockey Game Started

168BTHPM

Werepig
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    Nevada
    Hey this is just like hockey except your teamates can hold the other guy while you punch him.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBXWY9YTd6o"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBXWY9YTd6o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Went To A Rugby Match and a Hockey Game Started

Mike and I know a little about Rugby. It is the best sport I've ever played and I miss the heck out of it. It does get a little rough from time to time but no matter what the party afterwards is usually worth it.

long ago when i was at college a rugby player explained the difference between rugby and soccer. soccer is a game of gentlemen played by hooligans and rugby is a game of hooligans played by gentlemen. clip disproves that statement, doesn't it?

Got bored quickly but the guy at 50 seconds really got his lights put out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">long ago when i was at college a rugby player explained the difference between rugby and soccer. soccer is a game of gentlemen played by hooligans and rugby is a game of hooligans played by gentlemen. clip disproves that statement, doesn't it? </div></div>

I have heard the same type of statement made comparing baseball and football.

There's an old saying, Give Blood, Play Rugby. Some games are slug fests and are not for the faint of heart. No pads just taped ears. The social aspect of the game is awesome however. When I played for a Rugby/Footbal club the locker room door was about 30 feet from the door to the bar. It was very common on the way to the showers after a game or practice to grab some beer from the bar before heading in to shower & change. I still see the odd old boys game, some guys are still playing and they are well above 60.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been in one or two of those.

Rugby was my life for a long time. So many good friends and good times. I wish I was about 20 years younger.... </div></div>

Were you being held or doing the holding/punching?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: over_watch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been in one or two of those.

Rugby was my life for a long time. So many good friends and good times. I wish I was about 20 years younger.... </div></div>

Were you being held or doing the holding/punching?</div></div>

If you play rugby long enough you'll be on both sides of the coin. Anyone who tells you different is a liar.

Man, I was watching the video and visions of playing for the SCOW (Steel Company of Wales) came rushing back to me. I played a season with them (2nd's) in the late 90's and the coach was a madman, he figured if there's a punch up everyone better be involved, the ref won't toss the whole team. AND THEN, at 2:07 I do believe that is quite possibly the British Steel uniforms! I could be mistaken but it certainly looks familiar. My college and club rugby in the states was civilized compared to Welsh rugby, those boys are tough.

Australian Rules is the best!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LJkHm2WtSsk&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LJkHm2WtSsk&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Didn't watch the whole thing, but I like at 2:07 where the play goes by in front of the camera as two guys are beating the hell out of each other in the background.

Thanks for the Hansen brothers clip. Bush league hockey was awesome. Every team needed a goon or two to keep things in line.

New Zealand and Australia well represented in that clip
    smile.gif

The State of Origin series (The light blue v's maroon coloured jerseys that featured a LOT) is always good to watch for a bit of impromptu carnage.

Mike - Where did you play rugby?

A friend described it as a team boxing event for big guys with poor boxing form and bigger arms then brains.

I miss playing rugby probably more than any of the other passions I've given up as I've gotten older. I started playing rugby as a college freshman and loved it. I don't think there's a truer team sport than 15-man sides, and the camaraderie I felt with my fellow forwards was a true brotherhood (of course we always loved the back, but the pack was inviolable). However, 7 concussions later (rugby, then the Army) and I can't see myself doing much more than heading to a match, pumping a brew out of the keg on the sideline, and watching the next generation have their turn at glory. God, what a game!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">long ago when i was at college a rugby player explained the difference between rugby and soccer. soccer is a game of gentlemen played by hooligans and rugby is a game of hooligans played by gentlemen. clip disproves that statement, doesn't it? </div></div>
    What the clip doesn't show is how both teams get together for a social/party afterwards and aren't ready to kill each other. It's definitely a GREAT sport and no sissy pads etc definitely has a toughness to it. I loved the bit of time that I played.
    Faster paced an harder hitting gotta love it.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G9B1liryS0g&feature=fvwrel"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G9B1liryS0g&feature=fvwrel" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
    Defenseless reciever? Roughing the passer? Roughing the kicker? YOU BETCHA.....They aren't paid millions an play because they love the sport NOT for the dollar figures (although I'd guess some of the national team guys are paid a lil bit).

I just love that sport! Thanks for posting that vid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ProudKiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mike - Where did you play rugby?

</div></div>

I started playing in Belmont Shore, which is now a super league team. D1 university. I played club level in Jacksonville, Fl (1996 National Champs). I've played in the Caribbean, Canada (club and provincial), Navy, and Combined Services.