• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Western Pa/Ohio

Re: Western Pa/Ohio

Hey guys, I live in Altoona, Pa. Should be about 2 hours from Butler. I used to live near Indiana.

The best part is, I live 30 minutes from Reade Range and maintain a membership their. If you guys ever want to hit an F-Class match or just get together sometime, drop me a PM.

CM

I would look into taking a trip to eastern ohio to Thunder Valley Precision just north of Cambridge OH. Where I 77+I 70 cross. Well worth the drive. I've done it from La few times with no regrets

I live in butler pa... Got any good places to shoot? I've got a farm in Greenville pa too where I've got my own range out to 400 yards

I live in Evans City. I am in the same boat. I am trying to find a farm around portersville to shoot out to 1000.

I found a spot to shoot to 1100 here on a farmers property. He lets me shoot groundhogs, but it runs parallel with a highway. So shooting those big boomers is going to piss a lot of people off on the other side of the road. I'm searching for another spot

My uncle in Pa shoots at a range called ridgeway. not sure where it is. but he lives in tinesta, pa

Ridgeway is about 2 and a half hours from butler and Evans city. It is a beautiful area up in the mountains. Dpreston are shooting along 79 or 422? I do not think it should be to much of an issue to find somewhere to shoot the 308. The 50 is another issue I have places around Indiana I will be able to get around 2,000 I hope and a buddy I was in the marines with lives down there and said it should not be an issue with the land owners but time will tell.

It's a farm on 228 ... Which is just south of butler off of route 8... I'm sure your familiar with it. I have a 7 wsm I've been plinkin hogs with in the area out to about 600.

And ridgway rifle club is awesome. I took first place 2 weeks ago in a 1000 yard varmint match with my GAP vs some of their BR guns. Check it out on their website. It was really a good time up there. The next match is august 1st. Show up around 9 with 50 rounds and your good to go.(starts at 10)

I just drove 228 from rt 8 to Ekastown/Natrona heights today. I was Eye balling every field for potential hog killing spots, so I am sure I looked right at the field you hunt in. If you are looking to carpool up to ridgeway let me know. My schedule is a little crazy right now but I may be able to make it august 1st. I have a camp in sigel which is half way. Let me know.

Well since you both are talking about 228, are we talking 228 towards saxonburg since of route 8 or 228 towards mars? I live a few miles off 228 towards saxonburg, and I live on an elk farm. I haven't gotten into shooting longer ranges, but I want too. Westview gun club is just done the road from me, they have a 300 yd range and open trap shoot every thursday.

Second that guys, anyone wanting to hook up and shoot somtime?
Im south of the burgh by about 30 min, but we have a farm here we can get out to 550, and wont bother anyone. Ive tried with some other people on here as well, if we shoot to a neighbors farm we can reach about 950 or so, but it would probly have to be set up in bettween hay and all. if anyone is interested let me know. Ive been told it is well woth it to trive to TVp as well, so if your thinking of making the trip let me know too, i spoke witht the owner about a week ago, its 10$ to go shoot and there is steel from 200 to 1000, i think thats what he said,

228 towards saxonburg.. I work at Brayman construction off of victory road haha.

RWG are you basically in Washington, Pa then?

Dpreston- I'm just a few miles from Brayman off victory and I think I know the farm your talking about.

Small world. As soon as I get my house sold I will be hitting the loading bench pretty hard and trying to get out shooting as much as possible. I definetly am going to try and make it to TVP. I will let you guys know and if anyone else wants to go we can carpool.

I'm near Erie. Fortunately, I have access to a lot of private property. I'm new to the forum and glad to see some PA chuck hunters one here. Always looking for people to shoot with on new ranges, farms, etc.

Since a number of us enjoy ground hog hunting, what's the most creative way that you've killed one?

I was bowfishing and seen one. I snuck up on it and shot it with the bowfishing arrow with the string attached. It kept trying to run I had to keep pulling it back so I didn't loose my arrow. I ended up having to kill it with a rock.

woodsrunner, just about at the border. im still in allegheny county. its just across teh river from monongahela. elizabeth, aera ?

Blaster- that must have been some experience

RWG- I'm not too familiar with south of Pittsburgh, but I have an idea of where you are.

Since I live on a farm loaded with groundhogs I tend to get them in somewhat interesting ways, but I always enjoy being able to get two with one shot, I tend to walk around with a shotgun when there is nothing better to do.

What kind of shooting is everyone into? I'm just starting to getting into shooting longer ranges, over 200 yards, I have what I consider to be a really nice home pistol range, and I try to shoot trap once a week.

I'm mainly into long range shooting 500-1000.. I've got a few pistols I shoot and I'd like to shoot some trap.. I havnt shot trap for a few years now.

Westview sportsman's club does trap aftering 6:00 or 6:30 on thursdays, it's open to anyone you pay $6-7 for 2 rounds of 25 clays. It's on sandyhill road and isn't more than 5-6 miles from where you work. If you want more details let me know.

I'm in youngstown,oh
shoot at yrpc.org200yrds nfa friendly
greenport tactical 600yrds same same

cw

south hills about 20 min from the burgh. i dont have much practice past 300 yards but would love to try out to a 1000 yards.

I'm in Seneca, PA, near Franklin. Let me know if you guys are getting together somewhere around here.

I've got a farm in Greenville pa. About an hour north of Pitt. I can shoot to 500-600 yards in my backyard and I'm in the process of putting steel targets in. Just picked up all the steel I just need to drill some holes and hang it. I'm also building a platform about 5 foot off the ground to shoot from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dpreston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a farm in Greenville pa. About an hour north of Pitt. I can shoot to 500-600 yards in my backyard and I'm in the process of putting steel targets in. Just picked up all the steel I just need to drill some holes and hang it. I'm also building a platform about 5 foot off the ground to shoot from. </div></div>

Let me know when you are all set up and me and my buddy will come shoot with you.

dpreston i have some famly in meedvile and i am up that way a good bit i have about 15 years experience in home bulding if you need any help with that platform or if you want to put a roof over it let me no i will be glad to help. we will have to hook up and do some shooting.

damn that sounds awesome, you guys are more than welcome to come shoot once its set up. My steel will be here on friday and I already have the stands made. I'm going to buy the parts for the platform this weekend and throw it together. Shouldn't take too long with a the backhoe to put the posts in. I can't decide if I want a roof on it yet.

ghillieman--I've been hunting up here in butler. All I do is hog hunt. I'm up to 96 hogs on the year. I'm always down to hunt some new fields. I've prettymuch wiped out every field I've touched.

heres a few pics of random stuff.. in the background is where I'm putting the range in.
IMG_0626-1.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

I'm located in Emsworth, about 5 min north of Downtown PGH. I'm looking for a nice place to shoot longer ranges. I shoot G-hogs at a farm in Sarver,Pa where we've had shots out to about 550 yards but thats once in a great while. I am in the process of throwing together a long range 243 on a savage acation so I'd love to get to stretch its wings once she's all done. If anyone ever wants to shoot around here drop me a line and we'll set something up especially if you don't mind mentoring a newb.

I'm about 5 minutes south of the city (Carnegie) right now, just moved back after 5 years in IL. I've joined two clubs, one goes out to 200, the other 600. I'd be up for linking up to shoot any time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Raven34 you must get down to Hoover's once in awhile? Nice place, I gotta' stay away from it. </div></div>

i get down there about 2 times a month. awesome guy.

I live in Robinson Township and shoot at Coraopolis Sportsman Club. It only has a 100 yard range. I just bought a new Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and right now, 100 yards is just fine.

McDonald has a club with a 600 yard range and I would like to join up there next year.

Raven34,

You know I've been looking for an M&P 45 w/ 4.5" barrel on Gunbroker for sometime. When you add up the shipping charges imposed by the seller + the transfer charges by the FFL, you still can't beat Hoover's.

I'm just north of pittsburgh in allison park. looks like quite a few of you are in my neck of the woods too. for the most part, my idea of "long range" is 150 yards with the slug "rifle" but the newish .308 would like to stretch it's legs. I'd fancy a bit of 4-500 yards to hone in the deer whacking abilities. feel free to PM me or even shoot me an email. i just updated my email pref's here. I log on here about 2x a week usually, sometimes more, so PM may not get me for a day or 2

You all aren't that far away from another 1000 yard range here about 60 miles into Ohio called Rayners Range. Super people own it and they put on a 1000 yard steel plate match the 4th Sunday of each month. Me and a few buds try to get out there every few weeks to tweak our settings and just ring that distant steel. Maybe we could all plan a time to get together and go there? A quick call to Tom is all that is needed to make sure that date is OK and he charges $10.00 for the day to shoot all ya want at the different stations. Starts at 234 and goes to 1000 yards.

Do a search for Rayners and there are quite a few pictures in the various threads. Very challenging and fun and a great place to be with others that will offer help or cheer ya on.

Here is the link to the latest match results.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2055741#Post2055741

Rayners Range website: http://www.raynersrange.com/

Topstrap (Dennis)

Topstrap

thanks for the info man. i live a little farther away now but i might have to take a day or two and head up there and make a day out of it. it probably wouldnt be a bad idea to get a group meet together sometime.