• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Western PA - Pittsburgh

zewbank

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Claremore, OK
Any shooters local to the Pittsburgh area on here interested in getting together to shoot sometime?

I don't know how far you're willing to travel but a few of us go to Mifflin County Sportsman Association to shoot. It's about 3 hours from Pittsburgh and it's also a 3 hour drive for us. It's the closest place to us to get 1000 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick reply stag, I saw that post a little bit ago. I would definitely be willing to drive 3 hours, unfortunately though I don't think I'll be able to get out of work that Monday. I'll definitely keep an eye out for other posts if you guys end up going again anytime soon.

We get out there every 6-8 weeks or so depending on our schedules. We try to go on a weekday to avoid any crowds, usually a Monday. We'll post up when we go again. Always nice to meet new people and check out each other's rifles.

I'm in Murrysville, about 35min from Pittsburgh, would love to go do some shootin.

Sounds like there are at least a few of you guys in the general area. Once the weather improves in a month or two, I'll definitely try to set something up.

I would probably be up for it. I need to spend more time shooting longer range and reading wind. I think I spend too much time at 100 yards off benches. Send me a pm if you are putting anything together.

Just moved to Avalon, about 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. Ill be going to the gunsmith school here. I sold my rifle I used for longer distances, but I like to shoot semi autos as much as I can. Anyone recommend any ranges in the area?

I’m also an hour south of Pittsburgh. What type of shooting do you guys do and where are you shooting at?

I'm in Youngstown about an hour from Pitts.
Came from Colorado so looking for good open to the public ranges and/or membership ranges with good distance.
In CO we can shoot pretty much anywhere safe on National Forest land and out in the grasslands. Anything like that around here? Want to pattern some shotguns, shoot some pistols and some rimfires. Don't need much distance but can have fun with 400y and in with my rimfires (at least at CO altitude and with calm wind)

In CO we can shoot pretty much anywhere safe on National Forest land and out in the grasslands. Anything like that around here?
I'm going to tell you right now that shooting wherever you want on public lands (like you were used to in CO) is pretty much a no go here in the eastern US.

You may as well just forget about that.

Last edited:
I'm in Youngstown about an hour from Pitts.
Came from Colorado so looking for good open to the public ranges and/or membership ranges with good distance.
In CO we can shoot pretty much anywhere safe on National Forest land and out in the grasslands. Anything like that around here? Want to pattern some shotguns, shoot some pistols and some rimfires. Don't need much distance but can have fun with 400y and in with my rimfires (at least at CO altitude and with calm wind)

You're not far from Lawrence county sportsman club. It's not too far off exit 13 on i76. They have a 600yd range, uspsa, idpa, steel challenge and a shit ton of sporting clays. There are at least 5 bays that are about 35yd or more deep, and I heard talk of putting in more.

Like 308 said, you're not gonna just be able to shoot anywhere you want.

Last edited:
I’ve shot at Southington. Also like going to Rayner’s and Thunder Valley. All about 2.5-3 hours from me. I’m lucky enough to have 900 yards behind my house so I shoot there the most. 2min ride on the side x side.

I'm going to tell you right now that shooting wherever you want on public lands (like you were used to in CO) is pretty much a no go here in the eastern US.

You may as well just forget about that.

That's what I figured. I mean I wasn't allowed to shoot anywhere but spots on National forest land meeting safe criteria is allowed, they are working on opening some unmanaged public ranges to consolidate the shooters. But up in the mountains your good to go, getting distance was a little harder you had to go out to the eastern plains for that were you could easily find 600-1500y if you did some research on Google maps. I'm realizing that it is quite different out here, can't hunt deer with anything other than a straight wall cartridge or slug.

You're not far from Lawrence county sportsman club. It's not too far off exit 13 on i76. They have a 600yd range, uspsa, idpa, steel challenge and a shit ton of sporting clays. There are at least 5 bays that are about 35yd or more deep, and I heard talk of putting in more.

Like 308 said, you're not gonna just be able to shoot anywhere you want.

Cool I will defiantly have to check that place out, thanks.

http://shootlcsa.com/index.html it's a nice place.

plus, if you're into racing, pittsburgh international raceway is right down the road from the gun club.
Been checking this place oit, not far at all for 600y plus everything else they have. Any idea if there's a way to go check it out? Looks like a members only deal from their site.

Pretty much every range around here is members only. You'll have to sneak in during an open to the public event. Not really "sneaky" since the gates ate open all day. This is one of the clubs in the area that you don't need a sponsor. There's a guy I sold some brass to a few months ago that is a member there. I'll text/call him tomorrow and see if I can arrange a play date.

PM me your cell or email so I can give it to him incase he's down to show you around.

Pretty much every range around here is members only. You'll have to sneak in during an open to the public event. Not really "sneaky" since the gates ate open all day.

Just to make sure JLorenzo doesn't get the wrong impression, when member-only clubs open some of their events to the public it means the public is allowed at that event (typically a match) ONLY. They're not free to use other club ranges/shooting facilities. At least that's how it is at every member's only club that I have been either a member of or visited for a public event.

Good call 308.

I wasn't implying for him to actually sneak in and use the facilities. I was saying he can get in and ask who to speak with to show him around.

White Horse in Peel Tree, WV is another nice option that's not terribly far from Pittsburgh. Their 600 yard range is usually open, but their 1000 yard range takes some planning.

It's probably a little over two hours.

Good call 308.

I wasn't implying for him to actually sneak in and use the facilities. I was saying he can get in and ask who to speak with to show him around.

Yea I got it that's how the private ranges in Colorado I belonged to were.

due to where my work has sent me going to be a while before I can do some shooting. but I use one of the public shooting ranges about 2 hours or so north of pittsburgh, about 20 minutes from me, to sight in and such.just need a hunting license or a permit to shoot at places like it. they usually have weird restrictions on amount of ammo in magazines that few obey. including the cop I went shooting with one time there. I am wanting somewhere long range though as best near there is 500 yrds as I recall.

Checking back in for the first time in years, but yeah - still in da' 'BURGH. I usually shoot with a colleague in the East Hills, but I'm not too proud to sponge range time off anybody.