• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wet ammo

Doctawho

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area
Last night I had a toilet overflow in the 2nd floor of my house and drained downstairs to where I keep my ammo. I had a few boxes of ammo including some FGMM that got wet. The ammo never got submerged but it did soak the boxes and got the ammo a little wet.

Will the dampness affect the reliability and precision of the ammo?

I know I should have kept it in the safe!

Re: Wet ammo

Wipe it off and shoot away. Have had alot of ammo get wet out in the rain during a day of shooting and it always went bang.

No you will be just fine. Like Rob said, wipe it off and give it a go!!

ammo for all intents and purposes should be water tight when its loaded. if you're not sure about it you could always put fingernail polish around the primer.

I can find out more about this if you would like im sure the contractor i was with did tests

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doctawho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I know I should have kept it in the safe!</div></div>

Bad idea to keep any ammo or powder in a safe. If there is a fire it will turn that safe into a nice bomb because it will have no way to vent the pressure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doctawho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bad idea to keep any ammo or powder in a safe. If there is a fire it will turn that safe into a nice bomb because it will have no way to vent the pressure</div></div>

What he said...don't keep ammo in your safe.

Hmmm...think WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, A-stan, Iraq, etc. You really think ammo never gets wet and still performs as designed?

Just a thought...
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doctawho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bad idea to keep any ammo or powder in a safe. If there is a fire it will turn that safe into a nice bomb because it will have no way to vent the pressure</div></div>

Not entirely true. My uncle had a stockpile of ammo in a safe in his cabin. It was literally stacked to the top with ammo boxes filled with .223, .308, .300WM, and .45ACP. Long story short, the cabin burned down in a forest fire, so no fire department on site at all. Every last round went off. The safe was bulged out and distorted enough that the door had to be cut and pried open, but no explosion.

Anyways... modern ammo is almost completely waterproof. You'll be fine.

be cautious if you have loose primer pockets,
loads were in the ammo box (bullets down)while raining and 4 went "click"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ammo for all intents and purposes should be water tight when its loaded. if you're not sure about it you could always put fingernail polish around the primer.

I can find out more about this if you would like im sure the contractor i was with did tests </div></div>
What does the fingernail polish do?

I had my basement flood and a few cases of ammo got wet. Dried them off and shook the cases. I could still hear the powder shaking inside, so it has stayed dry. Shot them just fine.

The fingernail polish acts as a primer sealant.

It can also be added at the neck/bullet junction. It's lacquer (which is usually cellulose acetate), so it burns aweay clean from the neck junction.

It shouldn't really be necessary, but Uncle Suger does it with his ammo, so maybe it's not all bad. My 7.62x54R ComBloc surplus also has primer/neck sealant.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptRob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr06</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ammo for all intents and purposes should be water tight when its loaded. if you're not sure about it you could always put fingernail polish around the primer.

I can find out more about this if you would like im sure the contractor i was with did tests </div></div>
What does the fingernail polish do? </div></div>

Helps you accessorize your ammo to you gun, of course!!

Just be sure you pick the right shade, or you will just look foolish :p

old Russian surplus .223 is often found with red lacquer on the necks. although they are crimped god awful so the only thing saving the powder was the lacquer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Temp9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Here2Learn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doctawho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Not entirely true. My uncle had a stockpile of ammo in a safe in his cabin. It was literally stacked to the top with ammo boxes filled with .223, .308, .300WM, and .45ACP. Long story short, the cabin burned down in a forest fire, so no fire department on site at all. Every last round went off. The safe was bulged out and distorted enough that the door had to be cut and pried open, but no explosion.

Anyways... modern ammo is almost completely waterproof. You'll be fine. </div></div>

I know I've posted this before, but I work with Paul:

Firefighter loses eye from exploding ammo

The ammo was in spam cans and boxes, not quite a safe. But it did cause us to rethink our attack policies.