• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What’s best magazine?

jcmullis2

Don’t run you’ll only die tired
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2020
    USA
    Which mag should I buy for a defiance tenacity action with a 6.5cm barrel in a krg bravo chassis? Lots of choices and I don’t wanna buy something that’ll give me problems. Krg says to get the restrictor plate version of AICS mags and tenacity says it’ll accept aw or aics mags.
    Are krg branded aics mags polymer or metal? I’ve read that metal mags function better but I don’t know squat. Lol
    Thanks for everyone’s help

it’s mostly about the stock and chassis instead of actions. I have been happy with mdt metal mags with front plate.

Reactions: jcmullis2
    I personally like the MDT steel mags without the binder plate and I run them in a KRG bravo with out any issue the last two years.

1. Magpul
    2. Alpha Industries (now out of business)
    3. Everything else

Reactions: jcmullis2
    it’s mostly about the stock and chassis instead of actions. I have been happy with mdt metal mags with front plate.
    The metal mags look like they’re better quality than the polymer ones I’ve looked at. I Was tempted to get the KRG brand AICS magazines because they should work in a Krg stock but I’m not sure if they will or if they’re polymer. I’ve had problems with cheap polymer mags every time I’ve bought them and I don’t wanna go down that road again.

I’m not sold on the magpul one, granted they are really well priced but I’ve heard of fitment issues and I don’t like that I can’t adjust the feed lips if needed

A) Do you think there are no fitment issues with steel AICS magazines? LOL. Anyway, I don't GAF about other people's "fitment problems" when all the AICS PMAGs I have click in, feed, and drop out of my chassis (both KRGs) without a single hitch.

B) PMAGs don't need their feed lips adjusted to work out of the box. If you wear one out to the point that the feed lips start to let go too soon, throw it in the trash and get a new one. Like barrels, magazines are consumables. That's why I have shitloads of pistol and AR magazines.

Reactions: King_beardsly
    A) Do you think there are no fitment issues with steel AICS magazines? LOL. Anyway, I don't GAF about other people's "fitment problems" when all the AICS PMAGs I have click in, feed, and drop out of my chassis (both KRGs) without a single hitch.

B) PMAGs don't need their feed lips adjusted to work out of the box. If you wear one out to the point that the feed lips start to let go too soon, throw it in the trash and get a new one. Like barrels, magazines are consumables. That's why I have shitloads of pistol and AR magazines.
    I guess I’ve lucked out with my mags, they have all been plug it in, send it and repeat. I’ve only run them twice in my life and for some reason they seated a little to high causing an issue but that’s a very small sample size.

So, using mags with a binder plate will be a bit safer, as that plate should ensure that the bullet tip doesn’t hang on the receiver and cause a feed issue. But, mags without a binder plate will allow a longer cartridge overall length. You can have your receiver notched to allow this, if necessary.

That said, ALL aics pattern mags suck to one level or another. Their floppy Pro-Tilt (TM) follower design will eventually allow a bullet to tip down into the mag and fuck up the works. Adjust the feed lips for a bit higher seating of the cartridge and the mag will barf one or 2 up into the action when you seat it. My magpul AICS pattern mags will do this if you give them a slap on the butt when loaded into an open action. The 5 round AI brand mags that I have are pretty ok (10 round mags are iffy, in my limited experience), but suck hard compared to an SR25 pattern mag. And, they’re only 5 round mags.

I ran a gas gun at the last match I attended (home built, Anderson receivers, hand loads, brass catcher- you can’t do more to get your rifle to malf 😳). I was the only gas gun in my squad- everyone else had various flavors of AICS mags. My rifle was the only one not to have a feed/mag malf over the 8 stage event.

The last event I RO’d, 2 days 18 squads of 8-10, every squad had at least one rifle that had a mag malf- on just the one stage I was working. My RPR takes SR25 pattern pmags. When the rifle must run, that’s what I use.

I wonder why KRG is recommending the use of the binder plate, I know factory 700’s hang over the mag well a bit but I believe the tenacity is cut differently to allow longer loads in the mag to take advantage of hand loads. I only have experience with the origin in a bravo chassis but that didn’t need the binder plate in the mags.

just looked at the site and saw this
    • Designed for 5 or 10 round AICS magazines (with or without front spacer plate in T3, with spacer plate only in Rem 700 unless you have a modified action) I believe an aftermarket action should count as “modified”

Defiance’s description isn’t clear on their website about AiCs/AW

they are available with the regular Remington 700 mag well, or the AW (defiance calls it ‘guardian mag cut)

if you have the regular mag well tenacity, non binder plate mags won’t work without notching the feed ramp, regardless of chassis/dbm manufacturer.

the origins are notched for non-binder plate mags from the factory.

I
    Defiance’s description isn’t clear on their website about AiCs/AW

they are available with the regular Remington 700 mag well, or the AW (defiance calls it ‘guardian mag cut)

if you have the regular mag well tenacity, non binder plate mags won’t work without notching the feed ramp, regardless of chassis/dbm manufacturer.

the origins are notched for non-binder plate mags from the factory.
    I believe the tenacity are notched in the feed ramp, but I’m sure a message to defiance could give a definitive answer @Defiance Machine

I dont see any benefit of running mag without binding plate nowadays, unless you want to shoot super long bullets in 308/260/243 those old schools. Even there is notch cutout, less play in the mag space will make your feeding more reliable once dialed in.