• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 1" tube diameter scope would you mount?

Crosshairs6

Master Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2010
Mid South USA
Gentlemen,
I have a USMC M40A1 return stock that I am building on. I have a 1-10 twist Obermeyer barrel for a Remington action. I have a clip-slotted base coming from a fellow Hide member. I do NOT want another US Optics MST scope. I already have a M40A1 completed with that scope. Obviously, with the period correct clip-slotted base with welded rings, I am limited to a 1" tube diameter scope. I plan to shoot 175 grain Black Hills ammo if you think that makes a difference.

I know there are a lot of members on here that have a M40A1 return stock built rifles that are not using the Unertl or the U.S. Optics scope. What are you using or what do you recommend for this project.

Also, I know a lot of you will say ditch the clip-slotted base and mount a rail-type base and go with 30mm rings. I am not interested in doing that. As with most or all of you, I am interested in sharp turret indexing and durability. I look forward to hearing any scope suggestions or recommendations. Thanks in advance.

Redfield M40 Commemorative?

I like the Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x40 MidwayUSA exclusive in 1"...

I use the clip slotted rear mount on my Model 70 target rifles, and use a Weaver front base and 1 inch weaver rings. They work quite well.

For irons I use Redfield Palma for the rear and Olympic for the front.

I also don't use the one piece base. Don't feel I need them, plus with irons I can use stripper clips and on my 308 Model 70 so I can shoot HP Across the Course Matches.

This is an AMU Model 70 Tgt Rifle (308) that I got from the CMP. It still has the bases for the Unertl scope which I don't use, but you can see the set up for the Irons.

DSCN0101.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Mate,
is the idea to have an optic (with 1" tube) that is not the obligatory Unertl mst, but still be period correct to that era?

The other obvious choices for the M40a1 would be the Redfield 3-9x40 accu-range as was fielded with some of the PIP & early production rifles, as well as the Weaver Elpaso T10 (I think the context in which I read it was that there were only a handful or so maybe up to eight or a dozen rifles fielded in that configuration by force recon, and yet there are far more than that number of replica rifles getting around out there wearing T10's :) ) The weaver is a popular choice for those who can't find or justify an MST-100, and they are by all accounts a good scope. The Weavers were also used in small quantities by the Canadians on their Parker Hales, in lieu of the metricated unertl C3.

other military scopes in service about that era, you could look into would be the Kahles Zf-69 or 85 and the Schmidt & Bender 6x42 L13a1 all with BDC turrets, albeit I can't recall if these are nominally a 1.00" or 26mm tube. Whilst certainly not USMC these would bare investigation, as they were reputed to be very clear in low light and durable .

When I eventually finish collecting componentry for my M40a1'ish build, (although I do have the unertl mount) it will wear a L&S M2 10x Ultra scope (30mm tube), Ultra rings and a reproduction of the mythical "Crane 4-slot mount" for the short action Remington.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input regarding scope choices. To answer the question from BrianLara400, I am not concerned about the rifle scope being equipment correct to that period. I just want a good scope to use with the build. I will look into all the scopes mentioned. Again, thanks for all the input and advice.

On the german S&B website the PMII 10x42/mildot is now listed with a 1" tube. I don't think you can do any better than that on a "vintage" M40. Mounted in low rings on Leupold bases it looks like the scope has been designed for the M40. I had the same setup with a S&B 6x42.

I don't know much about the other scopes Brian talks of but I do know he Weaver T-10 and the Redfield Acura Range.

As to the Acura Range, I got one when Redfield fist started selling them to civilians, and I wasn't impressed. They were ok if you use them as a normal 3X9 Scope, but Acura they weren't as far as range finding. Most of the Marines that used them in Vietnam on the M-40 just zeroed them at 500 yards and held over/under for the most part.

As to the Weaver T-10, that was a different matter, no it doesn't have range find capabilities but it was one hell of a scope. I got mine in the mid 70s and used it on my Model 70 300 WM 1000 yard rifle. It never let me down, it holds up and is still hold up today. Its the scope I use now on the Model 70 pictured in my earlier post. I use the Weaver rings and also use it on a couple of my other Winchesters.

It is also the scope (an rings) that I use on my Mann Accuracy device for testing ammo.

Cant go wrong with one of those old Weavers. I don't know about the newer T series Weavers but I do have some other new Weavers that are first class.

I use a Redfield 1st gen Accurange on my M40A1 semi-clone. I love those scopes. Good lense, they can take a beating (recoil).

If limited to 1" tube, I would go with a Leupold Mark AR with mil-dots. Awesome scopes for less than 400$. With unlimited budget, sky's the limit. The S&B 10X42PM is quite a nice piece of optics.

Great looking rifle. I am leaning towards either a Redfield or a Weaver scope.
I use a Redfield 1st gen Accurange on my M40A1 semi-clone. I love those scopes. Good lense, they can take a beating (recoil).

If limited to 1" tube, I would go with a Leupold Mark AR with mil-dots. Awesome scopes for less than 400$. With unlimited budget, sky's the limit. The S&B 10X42PM is quite a nice piece of optics.