• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What .30 cal cartridge for Stiller Tac 408 action?

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
I have a Stiller Tac 408 single shot action and I want to make use of it for long range competition work.
The bolt face is made to take standard 0.640" size cartridges such as the Cheytac range.
I have reason to chamber this action with a .30 cal barrel and would like advice on a suitable cartridge. Thinking maybe a shortened Cheytac case so as to not burn out the barrel too fast.
Thinking sort of like a 6mmBRX on steroids shooting the heaviest .30 cal pills at 3000fps out of a stiff 30" barrel.
Rifle will be used for 1500 yard matches, maybe three times a year with 60 to 80 shots per match.
Must be a .30 cal. Calibres over 8mm not permitted in the competition. Any thoughts or options.

Shorten the Cheytac case to 2" and capacity will be close to the 300 Lapua. It will burn more efficiently so you should get more velocity per grain of powder.

That's sort of what I had in mind.
I have been looking for any existing cartridges but can't seem to find any based on this case head size.
Looks like I will have to get a chamber reamer and die reamer set made.
Brass will be easy enough as Bertram brass is made just down the road from me and I can get some partly formed 408 cases to play with.

Another option could be to get a second bolt made up with a standard magnum blot face? I will contact Stiller and see if they would do that for me.

Should be interesting!