• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what 30 cal for desert tech

jeepnsammys

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2011
I have Desert Tech SRS A2 im wanting to setup in a 30 cal for shooting/hunting 600 to 1500 yards.
I reload but dont want to get into fire forming or any of that. i wil be running a can on it and im looking for something that is easy to load for and very accurate getting the most i can out of a 26" barrel (or should i go longer)? and really considering a carbon proof barrel or should i go with steel to add weight and help tame the recoil.? i currently have have a 7/300 wsm so a 300 wsm may not be interesting to me but whats your thoughts?

Go with 300 WM, and keep it simple. That’s what I’m going to do after I get my 6.5 Creedmoor conversion squared away.

300NM or 300 steelhead
C975812E-71A8-481F-83F0-94FD41A92444.jpeg

well between 300nm and 300prc whats the pros and cons thats the 2 is had in mind before asking in this post

The BC’s on the PRC are amazing. And they are good for 1500yds, easy to find and not overpriced

besides a slight gain in velocity is there any other benefits to the 300nm over the 300prc?
what are the cons of the 300nm over the 300prc?
is there anything that really makes one outshine the other?

If you get a smith to lengthen the throat for the 300 win mag, then there isn’t much difference. IIRC, a couple hundred FPS. Because you are reloading, you can get the same BCs. The main difference is having a belted magnum case verses a non-belted magnum.

Win mag and PRC are really close. I have a win mag shooting 215 bergers at 2950 in a 26 inch tube. Coal is 3.730. I have a 26 PRC shooting 215 bergers at 2980 with COAL at 3.705. So 30 FPS between thos guns. Yes you can load both up a little bit hotter in each but it's in pressure with both.

If your goal is speed and heavier pills then the Norma is the way to go. If you want to shoot factory ammo and not reload go win mag or PRC. If you want endless options of factory ammo, go win mag.

You really cant go wrong to the 1500 yards like you mentioned with any of the 3 and the difference is not much at that distance. But seeing you already have 7/300 and 300 wsm, to see a bigger jump in performance I would go with the Norma. The win mag and PRC are closer to what you have already in the WSM.

I would run some numbers with what pills you plan to shoot and see what your dope is through your 1500 yard requirement. Run it against your current WSM setup too.

Reactions: culater
Another pro for the 300NM over the 300PRC is brass quality and availability.

Another pro for the 300NM over the 300PRC is brass quality and availability.

This^

With currently only Hornady available and soon to be released ADG, those are the only PRC options. Assuming the ADG will be sold out just in the pre orders, its going to be a while before most people are able to get hands on. I'm using ADG for the Win Mag, Hornady for 300 PRC (until ADG ships) and Peterson for the Norma.

Oh, and for reference, I have an SRS A1, and with the factory 300WM conversion (which is throated with PLENTY of room to load long) I can run Berger 230 Tacticals right around 2800 FPS. Keep in mind that that's with a 26-incher, so with a longer tube (call it 30") I'd expect to pick up perhaps another perhaps 100 or so FPS.

I'm seeing pressure signs (ejector stamping) right around that velocity with a few different powders, so there's probably not TOO much being left on the table (in terms of velocity).

Food for thought.

I'm not sure what you are referring BC's to? Good for 1500 and are easy to find and not over priced? Are you just referring to factory ammo that has a decent pill with a high BC? Or???

Reactions: WeiserBucks
I went 300WM with the barrel throated specifically for 215 Berger VLD's so I can get max case capacity. The fit in the DT mag is not an issue they have plenty of length. I already had all the 300WM goodies for loading and sizing belted so it made sense. Has worked out well, good velocity up to pressure signs and accurate.

Last edited:
Reactions: MOUNTIC
Been shooting Hornady brass 300 PRC loads to 2200yd. Don't run it at 70-80ksi and the stuff holds up fine. I got 7+ loads on some cases before I retired the barrel, still holding primers just fine.

That being said, I shot several hundred rounds of 225 ELDM out to 1600, and to be honest, within 1200yd it performs to almost the same level as my handloads. MV spread was a little better in my loads, accuracy was really close between the two.

Thanks @Ledzep
The only people that rip on 300prc are the ones that haven’t used it and are ignorant of its capabilities.
When someone says that it only runs 150fps faster than a WM, I just laugh.
225grn vs 190grn or even 208grn isn’t a comparison lol

Norma is a fantastic round, but at double the price per pill of PRC, is it worth it for everyone?

Last edited:
Thanks @Ledzep
The only people that rip on 300prc are the ones that haven’t used it and are ignorant of its capabilities.

Norma is a fantastic round, but at double the price per pill of PRC, is it worth it for everyone?
especially if you look at the Sherman variant, which can be headstamnped ADG brass at about the same price, or fireformed with hornady

215 at 3100+ or 230 at 3000+. Rich says he has like 1500 rounds on a barrel

the only reason i see going NM is to do a big improved variant of it for running the 245/250. 215/225/230 i see little need to go above what the PRC offers

Thanks @Ledzep

Who is getting 150fps over win mag with the same pills with same barrel length? With the same components? I have many 26 inch win mags and a couple 26 inch PRCs. I dont see 150fps gain. Not even close.

I dont think anyone here in this thread is bashing 300 PRC. I just bought another 300 PRC barrel arriving next week. So it does really well. This will be my 3rd rifle in 300 PRC. Is it a 300 norma, No. Is a 300 win mag a 300 PRC, no.

The pills are the same price and not specific to an individual cartridge. If your talking about loaded ammo then yes Norma is double or more then the PRC loaded factory ammo.

As B6Graham said above, the SI 300 PRC is also a way to get about Norma performance with a Standard mag bolt face. I almost went this direction over the standard PRC as I wanted even more performance then the win mag.

The OP should get what he wants. Not because we all have our favorite and we all justify the purchase one way or another. I have been an early adopter of the 300 PRC and also shoot a ton of Win mag stuff too. Some days I wonder why I went 300 prc and others why I still have win mags.

The Norma will sling the same pills faster then the other two. If you want heavies, then this is the way to go. If you want close to the performance of Norma then get something that takes less powder and standard mag bolt face. You will still hit targets at 1500 with anything listed above and it will do it well.

Just dont compare folks using 30 inch tubes with RCC brass and N565 or RL26 shooting 230s to someone with a 26 inch win mag with Hornady brass and some different powder shooting the same pills.

If you don’t go wm then go Norma.

The stuff in the middle isn’t a big enough difference.

Jmo

so another question would be would you use desert tech barrel or go to a custom barrel? if so who would you use?
also i already have a silencer co harverster that is rated up to 300wm so that means a new can if i go 300nm whats your thoughts on that?

I'd go custom, I've used TS Customs and SAC barrels in the past with excellent results. Factory barrels are very accurate but lack options like specific length, twist, muzzle threads, fluting ect.