• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What 45 to buy????

kstraughen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2009
Florida, USA
I made a deal with my wife. She siad i could purchase a 45 if we can save approximaetly 2k in 3 to 6 months. Well we are well on our way. So i am looking at one of the Kimber carry, Springfield commander or the 3inch model, or the Sig 220 carry.

If anyone has experience with any of these please speak up.
i am all ears.

Thanks

KS

Re: What 45 to buy????

The Kimbers rust, I don't have any experience with the Springfield, the Sig may be a little bulky. Of the three, I still have to go with Kimber though because they're just Great 45's. Just keep it wiped down when you're not carrying it.

FWIW...

I had an original Kimber Ultra Ten II which had the polymer frame. It was a miserable failure of a gun. Sent it back multiple times and about gave up on Kimber completely. They finally ended up buying it back from me and I got a Kimber Ultra CDP II.
I have had zero issues with the new Kimber. Looks awesome, fits great, shoots real nice. I never had any rust show up on either of the two Kimbers. I only have put around 500 rnds through the new Kimber though so take it for what it's worth.
It's my primary carry gun now and it carries great in a super tuck.

Had a Kimber Ultra Carry II from about 2005, great pistol that i never should have sold.

I now carry a Rock Island Tactical CS 1911.

My votes goes to Springfield, they have great customer service that hopefully you will never have to use. I had 2 bad experiences with Kimber. Do your homework and keep asking questions. See if your local gunshop will let you shoot a used model. Good luck.

Smith and Wesson M&P45 compact. Costs less, runs better. The 1911 platform is too finicky, and compact versions are even worse. I wanted to like 'em, believe me, I did. After 3 springer TRP operators, two regular TRP, a Springfield Pro, an Ed Brown SF, and a Kimber TLE Pro, I had to give up. Between the limited capacity, grip safeties, thumb safeties that sometimes were on safe and sometimes weren't (when they weren't broken) and the more serious inability to rely on any of them to work 100% of the time, I had to quit spending money on tools that were toys. Toys don't have to work all the time. I couldn't afford to keep going. I carry Glock 9mm, but for a .45 I'd go with the M&P. Feel free to duplicate my years long, multi-thousand dollar experiment with the 1911 if you like. I'm pretty sure you will come to the same conclusion. I still love 'em for their personality and charisma, but rely on them I do not.

i'd go for a springfield, but i'm comfortable carrying a loaded single action pistol. are you?

if you are, i say go for a springfield armory. it's a great pistol for the money and their customer service is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK45. Neither Sig nor Kimber have any semblance of quality control.</div></div>

i've heard that about kimber as of late, but you'd have to back up your statement about sig with some facts. sig has (and as far as i know, continue to) offer extremely accurate and reliable pistols.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slothlacrosse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i'd go for a springfield, but i'm comfortable carrying a loaded single action pistol. are you?

if you are, i say go for a springfield armory. it's a great pistol for the money and their customer service is great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK45. Neither Sig nor Kimber have any semblance of quality control.</div></div>

i've heard that about kimber as of late, but you'd have to back up your statement about sig with some facts. sig has (and as far as i know, continue to) offer extremely accurate and reliable pistols. </div></div>

+1

If you're really interested in a single action (1911), give Sig a HARD look. Vheck out the current "Sig Scorpion" thread. A lot of owners chiming in there. My Sig Revolution 1911 is f'n awesome. All billet, no castings, no MIM, slide runs like its on ball bearings, excellent checkering, excellent Novak nitesites, and very affordable. Sigs customer service/warranty is top notch too.

That said, for a carry gun, I say Glock 30. If thats too chubby, Glock 36.

In a slightly similar situation, have somewhere in the low-1000s to spend on a handgun (though this is my first). I have shot a bunch of different ones in the past but I have narrowed it down to four and two of those are in .45 ACP.

The first one I was looking at was a Springfield Loaded MC Operator (if I can find one) or a FNP-45 Tactical. Just typing that I am laughing as the pistols are so different. The only input I can give from past experience is that the one time I shot a 1911 it was an older model that did not have a beaver tail so I got hammer bit every time I fired due to trying to have a very high grip so it was one of my least favorite guns I shot.

I tried handling a bunch of guns the other day at a local shop and I really like how the Springfields felt in hand. They didn't have the model I wanted but they had a Loaded Champion that I tried out and it was extremely comfortable. They also didn't have the FN but they did have a normal FNP-45 and I liked that one alot as well (I also like the controls best, like the safety/decocker on this gun).

On a side note I was looking at two 9mm, a Sig (want the P226 Enhanced Elite) and a Glock 34 Gen 4. I know guys are all about the XDms and M&Ps but I have to say I do not like the XDm pistols after trying one. The M&P9 is very nice and I would definitely get one but after holding the Glock 34 Gen 4 I think that would be the 9mm striker fired pistol of choice for me.

On the Sig, I love Sig P226s. It was one of the first handguns I ever shot and I still really want one. Only thing is I think it might be on the bottom of my top 4 now. Oh yeah, whatever pistol I go with will be used mostly as a range gun or for home defense, not for carry. I would also like to get into some local USPSA matches for fun and to improve my skill with the gun so that might have some bearing (i.e. Glock 34s are popular for that and the Springfield would put me in a Single Stack division, etc.). Any input would be appreciated.

if it were me i would go with a good series 70 colt combat commmander...

I've had a Sig 220 Carry SAS Gen 2 for two'ish years now, and have no complaints or regrets. It is plenty accurate, runs well, and is comfortable to carry and shoot.

Similar to Chainring, I also went through an expensive 1911 phase... After a number of years, a range of experiences, and lots of cash, I ended up gravitating back to factory pistols and have settled on Sigs and Glocks. Particularly for carry.

I'll pass along some good advice from a number of the more experienced members here, that has really helped me out over the years (And thanks guys!) - "Find a way to try out those pistols you are interested in. Buy whatever factory pistol YOU are most comfortable with. Get a good belt, and a good holster. Buy a shitload of ammo. Then get as much training and practice as you possibly can."

Lots of good choices - STI, HK45c, Wilson are absolutely wonderful guns IMO -but there are many others. Some will "feel" just right and I admit to going thru several before I found the one that seems to make the most trips to the range with me!

Me- its the new Dan Wesson Valor Bobtail,
quote=kstraughen]I made a deal with my wife. She siad i could purchase a 45 if we can save approximaetly 2k in 3 to 6 months. Well we are well on our way. So i am looking at one of the Kimber carry, Springfield commander or the 3inch model, or the Sig 220 carry.

If anyone has experience with any of these please speak up.
i am all ears.

Thanks

KS
[/quote]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hvydg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's hard to beat the 1911 in my opinion. Even if you go with a cheaper brand,you can make it shoot great groups with a little work. </div></div>

I gotta ask: What is the point of shooting groups with a pistol - if you're not training for a bullseye competition?

For the first several years of shooting handguns, I would shoot groups. Then it ocurred to me: Why am I doing this? What is a pistol for? A pistol is there as a last resort, for you to fight your way back to a rifle, or, a convenient weapon to carry so that you can defend yourself when you least expect it.

In either case, the most likely use of a pistol is going to be rapid fire in an up close and personal encounter, not a precision, well aimed shot at 25 yards. If you've got time to make a "good group" type shot, you've got time to get the flip out of there - to safety, or to a rifle.

Not to bash a 1911, I like them for what they are...and in most cases, they ARE capable of "better groups" than a Glock or similar tupperware gun. But what is "accurate enough" for a pistol? Any of my Glocks will hold a 3" group at 25 yards. My Sig 1911 can do a 1.5" group at 25 yards. So, my Sig is twice as accurate...but of what use is that to me? I say none.

why shoot groups with a rifle? I mean a rifle is used to get you covered in defilade back to a pack howitzer is it not

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why shoot groups with a rifle? I mean a rifle is used to get you covered in defilade back to a pack howitzer is it not </div></div>

By "rifle", if you mean a precision rifle like most of us on the Sniper's Hide do, then there is at least some purpose to shooting groups. I don't know how you make use of *you're* precision long range rifle, but I take well aimed careful shots with mine. The practical use of one of these rifles is to take "well aimed shots", so that you can hit a small, discrete, specific targets. Shooting groups demonstrates the ability of the weapon system to consistently hit small, discrete, specific targets.

I argue that the purpose of a handgun is *not* to take "well aimed shots", so that you can hit small, discrete, specific targets. Rather, the pistol is used for laying down fire at close targets, and so I think you should train to use it as such... Unless of course, you are a bullseye shooter.

Don't know about you, but shooting groups with a pistol got VERY boring to me. Its way more fun to shoot down six 8" steel plates with 8 rounds in 6 seconds at 12 yards.....than it is to shoot down six 8" plates with 6 rounds in 20 seconds at 50 yards....More useful/practical too.

I like to occasionally test my marksmanship at "long range" (50+ yards with a duty-type pistol) with my handguns, but I contend it's not generally a very "practical" skill, at least compared to being able to rapidly hit a man-sized target consistently at 10 yards or less.

A Colt 70 series Commander(the one I carry cocked and locked) or even a 80 series will never fail you. If you can't find one a Springfield 1911 will be just fine out of the box.
Good luck on your quest for the one that fits your hand like a glove. Always try before you buy!

HK45 - I believe this and the HK45C are the best combat 45s available right now once you install better sights. I know, I know, they should come with better sights for that price but they dont. Still far far cheaper than the custom level 1911 you would have to buy to have a prayer of the kind of reliability the average HK45 will serve up right out of the box. Once you replace the sights you will likely have the most reliable combat 45 you can get with great ergos. I prefer the LEM version, which is easy to do yourself if you cant find one that way.

Edited to add, you may want to stay away from the FNP-45T. My experience with those is bad...pm me for details if you wish.

HK 45 tops all the ones you have named right around your price range too. Furthermore I have heard nothing but bad things about Kimber mags yes that is hear-say but in my book that carries weight.

you can search around other fourms also
If its not going to be a full size 1911 in 45acp
I would go with a diffrent platform

The factory Sig 1911 mags are for shit.Have nothing but bad experience with them.Would not feed right and would not seat with a full mag.
Sig replaced them with novaks for all of our tac ops guns. The 8 tac ops 1911's we got all had issues.None fed reliably with anything some were ok with just ball ammo.a few others 5 had the sights come loose and fall off.
some had to be sent back 2x before they were fixed.Sig quality is not what it was.....
I couldn't make this up

I wouldn't go below a 4" barrel in 45, especially on a 1911 platform. Reliability starts to suffer and it eats through recoil springs much faster.

If you're considering a 1911 my highest recommendation for best value is the STI Spartan. I shoot a Springfield in Single Stack and if I were to start again that's what I would have chosen. Nothing against the Springfield, it's just that the Spartan comes with nice sights.

I think Kimbers are overpriced for what you get, and I prefer my guns without a firing pin block. The one Kimber I have any attraction to is the Pro Carry CDP. I think they did a nice job putting that one together for CCW.

Most of my pistols are for games so my choices are colored by that. I wouldn't own a .45 unless in the 1911 platform because other calibers are more competitive in the sport.

edit: I only use Wilson Combat 47D (or 47DE) magazines in my 1911s and have about a dozen of them. The Elite Tactical model also by WC looks even better, but I've not used them personally.

Everyone has their own opinions on which 45ACP is best. I don't take these types of posts too seriously. Buy what fits your budget and needs.

I've owned 1911s and sold them...and the 1911 platform is the one pistol that I "missed" when I didn't have one in my arsenal. I've never missed a firearm once I sold it, but the 1911 is a different story. I will never be without a 1911 ever again. The 1911 just fits me well and I'm not a huge guy, but I have no issues carrying a government model all day long.

HK USP shot well, but was a bit too bulky when I carried it, so I sold it for the XD45. XD45 shoots nice, but I still prefer my 1911.

I have owned lots of different .45s (I prefer 1911s) but if you are up in the air on what to get, see if a friend has some you can try out and if that is not possible, go to a shooting range and check a couple out and shoot them. Get what fits right, feels right and plain old works for you. As I said, I prefer 1911s (Wilsons, Kimbers, Nighthawks) but have owned and shot Glocks, USPs, etc. Good luck in your choice! There are a lot of nice guns out there! Tony

Having shot the Sig P220 Carry Dark Elite, I can say it is second to none. I will buying one in the next year. It is truly a cut above, at least for me. It felt like home, and I shot it better than the 226. Felt recoil was low. Sights are outstanding, and the beavertail is perfect.

Sig got it right on this model.

Given the choices I'd lean towards the Sig. Don't get me wrong, 1911 are fantastic guns but can be quite temperamental if they aren't set up just right.My $0.02...

I am opinionated and predjudiced. I carried a Sig P-220 for duty use for 17 years. Always went bang when I wanted it to, and didn't go bang when I didn't want it to.

FWIW, from a dinasaur.

As a 1911 lover, and Kimber owner, I recommend against owning a Kimber. Also, I agree that anything smaller than a 4inch 1911 might give you some problems. JM Browning designed the 1911 ground up as a 5 inch pistol and it works great when it's that. Much smaller and I've personally had some trials. Again, I'm a HUGE 1911 fan and owner, but for smaller carry you should get a Glock, XD, or HK - they're not as accurate, but then pistols are meant for 10yds and under really.

I've shot STI's and was very happy with them, owned Sig's and they were very good, but I'm incredibly incredibly happy with my Dan Wesson's.

Get what you feel most comfortable with after you have done your research. At the end of the day, that's all that really matters and then you can sleep well. Most folks buy based upon some emotional tie (i.e. price, looks, accuracy, it's what they saw or read in a magazine, it's what they carried or wanted to carry back in the day, it's the newest craze, etc). Personally, I don't like any .45acp semi that has a barrel bushing as I feel they are just too complex (too many parts) and there are better options available, but that's just me. You get to make the final decision and enjoy the result...
cool.gif

its amazing honestly how many folks buy because their friend told them they should buy X gun without ever firing it or holding one. then they wonder why they end up selling it a month later. buy one you hold well, who cares if its not the gucci fan boy flavor of the month.

Go to your local indoor range. Rent all the handguns in 45acp. Try each one out and make your decision.

If it's your first handgun, seriously consider a 9mm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go to your local indoor range. Rent all the handguns in 45acp. Try each one out and make your decision.

</div></div>

This......

I'd also recommend when you do this to pay attention to which gun has a natural point of aim for you (with out thinking about it)

If you can find a good used one, a Wilson Combat would be awesome. Mine feels like it's on rollers when I rack it back, smooth as butter. Also I just picked up an Ed Brown Kobra Carry for 2K, this is another fine .45ACP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYpatriot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HK45. Neither Sig nor Kimber have any semblance of quality control.</div></div>

HK45 - I believe this and the HK45C are the best combat 45s available right now once you install better sights. I know, I know, they should come with better sights for that price but they dont. Still far far cheaper than the custom level 1911 you would have to buy to have a prayer of the kind of reliability the average HK45 will serve up right out of the box. Once you replace the sights you will likely have the most reliable combat 45 you can get with great ergos. I prefer the LEM version, which is easy to do yourself if you cant find one that way.

Edited to add, you may want to stay away from the FNP-45T. My experience with those is bad...pm me for details if you wish. </div></div>

The HK45 is an improvement on what HK was doing with its prior pistols, whose grips had all the ergonomic quality of a warped, splinter-filled 2x4 end, but I wouldn't say that it's a be-all and end-all. For those of us who can't palm 16 lb. bowling balls, the HK45 is less than stellar without a grip reduction, among other things, including replacement tritium sights, as was noted. In Heckler & Koch's defense, it must be understood that German law makes tritium and other sources of such radiation illegal in most circumstances. Its smaller cousin, the C, can be viewed as a reinvention in comparison to the capacity and size of many 1911s, without offering the same recoil-absorbing qualities of the full-sized HK45. I had one, found the recoil characteristics unacceptable, and didn't see what it was doing that a 1911 couldn't do in a slimmer and more easily holstered and kitted-out fashion.

I agree with the idea of renting and/or trying the pistols of others to find something that feels good in the hand, and that the 1911 really should come with a 5" barrel.

I have a pair of Sigs, a P220 and also a P245. Love them both and can't come up with a complaint.

Like others have said try to find a range to rent everything and see what shoots for you. Buddies with 45s are good to hit up too - I know every friend of mine who is looking for a 45 has at one time or another found their way to the range with mine.

Glock 36 for carry, 1911 for shooting fun. If you play your cards right you may be able to do both. Tell her that you picked out a $1800 1911, then settle on a $500ish glock and $900ish 1911 because you could not bring yourself to spending that much for sake of the family. Then buy 1000rds of ammo.

I've had a Colt 1911 for over 15 years now. It shoots after being drug through the mud and sand and can print a smiley face at 50 yards. The .45 is an excellent stopper.

I hear they are much more expensive than when I bought mine but to me they are the tool of choice.

I've seen too many post's telling of problems with the new kimbers to even look
at them. I have an older one that has been flawless except for the 4000 round spring changes. I've seen two guys head off to the medic for stitches from slide
pinches with the sigs in IDPA shoots. They and the HK's seem robo-cop-ish to me.
Like a P94 ruger. For class and accuracy the combat commander was my favorite
recommendation so far. For utility it's hard to beat a Glock. I am not stuck on
any brand or style, when something better appears on the scene I'll embrace it.
I have an acquaintance with a commander sized Les Baer that I go visit once in awhile. ( He's usually there too but it's the price I pay to see the 1911.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've seen too many post's telling of problems with the new kimbers to even look
at them. I have an older one that has been flawless except for the 4000 round spring changes. I've seen two guys head off to the medic for stitches from slide
pinches with the sigs in IDPA shoots. They and the HK's seem robo-cop-ish to me.
Like a P94 ruger. For class and accuracy the combat commander was my favorite
recommendation so far. For utility it's hard to beat a Glock. I am not stuck on
any brand or style, when something better appears on the scene I'll embrace it.
I have an acquaintance with a commander sized Les Baer that I go visit once in awhile. ( He's usually there too but it's the price I pay to see the 1911.) </div></div>

Robo cop??

Hk45 or 45c get my vote. Depending on the size of your hands and the intended duty of the pistol, you cannot go wrong with either of these pistols. Replace the sights with Meps or Trijicons and you'll be good to go.

Glock 21 SF or M&P45.

or better yet get G19 or G17.