• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns What 45 to buy????

Re: What 45 to buy????

I'd say stay away from Kimber unless you can find an old one. They just have problems.

after shooting our 45c's for a while those little pistols are really nice, it has definately added itself to my list of guns to get. highly reccomend it.

Get the STI, look at who is using them in competition and who is using Kimber.

The Reason so many dis Kimber is they dont give 2cents about QC and it will be a coin toss whether your new pistol will even work right out of the box and they only sell parts to their dealers, not the public so when something breaks, off to the factory....

Try starting a thread "I am thinking about an STI" and look at the response.

Never had a problem with springfield armory, three 1911's and two xd's one a 45.
I had a buddy that had a problem with a Kimber.

My carry gun is a Kimber Ultra Raptor. It wouldn't run at all to start with, but after putting in an Ed Brown Hardcore slide stop and extractor it runs perfectly. She's a sweetheart, but IMO I shouldn't have to replace parts on a brand new $1000 pistol. Very reliable, accurate, and smooth now though, I wouldn't think of parting with it. Oh, the finish didn't last anytime, I eventually put KG Gunkote on it and have worn a lot of that off too.

When I compete in Single Stack I shoot a fullsize Springfield Armory Loaded, the quality is a lot better than my Kimber. The Armorykote finish, or whatever they call it, is most impressive, it's lasted better than any other spray-on finish I've seen including my rifle with Ceracoat. I've heard their 3" guns were more harsh feeling than a Kimber, but I've never shot one.

If I were buying one today, I'd look hard at an STI. Not built in Texas like their 2011's, but most owners rate them very highly.

Def. recommend a HK45 or 45C. Amazing, accurate, and ergonomic.

Gotta put my vote in for a good polymer framed, striker fired type pistol. G21 SF of M&P 45 would be at the top of my list.

I just bought an M&P 45 and love it. Obviously its my personal pref but I already have a 1911 and I hate glocks. Sigs are nice, but I really like the m&p. Real short trigger reset, recoil not a big deal, good sight setup. And its American, which is nice

My carry is a glock model 36.. Its light, conceals ez and I can shoot it as good as any 1911 I've handled!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What 45 to buy????</div></div>

The one that says "Buy me because I feel awesome in your hand"...:)

I have a USP Tactical and Compact in .45and love them. Just as accurate as my Springfield tropy match but less tempermental. 1911's with match chambers are perticular about reloads. The usp with its hammer forged barrel handles anything you feed it including +p+ rounds. Not many others can do that.

I used to make smart remarks when someone asked which 45 to buy, but apparently, its sport here on the hide, so I won't fight the system.....

You have obviously done your Internet homework on the more prevelant 45's on the Market, I would make the following recommendtions, followed by a comment on the 45's I currently own and shoot and why......

1. What is your budget? I am not prying, I am just saying you need to decide how much you want or can afford to spend.

2. What will you do with this pistol? CCW? Uniformed LEO, general shooting, A little bit of all?

3. What are your operatinal and legal constraints? California? Do you belong to a PD that requires certain actions, calibers etc?

4. Physical fit to your body style. Bigger guys can carry a Glock 21 concealed, 5'6" 125 lbs, maybe not so much.

Once you pick a few that meet these parameters, try to shoot them before you buy.

Remember, guns are like shoes, mine may not fit yout foot or fit your needs. Would you want to run a marathon in steel toed boots?

Been real happy with my Springfield TRP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigwheeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What 45 to buy????</div></div>

The one that says "Buy me because I feel awesome in your hand"...:)

</div></div>

I have a tricked out XD45 that is really nice and shoots well, never had any problems. For the longest time I thought SIG's were ugly but I decided to hold one awhile back and I held the single stack 220. Oh man I fell in love with how it felt, now I gotta get me a 1911 one of these days, BlackOps is putting out a nice one these days. So I am selling my XD to my buddy and have a 220 combat in "jail" till the 10th. Then I am going to shoot it for a bit and then maybe send it to Gray guns or to Sig's custom shop for the SRT and a few other small details. I just hope I like the gun as much as it feels in my hand.

I have big hands and these two are my favorite.

Sig P220
*new FNP-45

I just bought the new FNP-45 Competition which is the exact same pistol as the tactical without the threaded barrel and it's extremely nice. Fits well in the hand, ambi controls, short reset trigger, and 15 round capacity.

My Sig is about as accurate as you can ask a stock pistol to be however it is limited to 8 rounds as are most 1911 styles. If it could carry 15 I would never carry anything else.

I really like my .45 M&P - shoots great and fits my hand well, but recently aquired a Wilson Combat 1911. I've only been to the range a few times, but I'm already having a holster made for carry. Unreal accuracy. Beautiful, well made gun.

+1 for the wilson. i have an x-tac and took it to the range for the very first time a couple weeks ago. i shot awesome with it, and im not even a very good shot with a pistol

just got to put 50 rounds thought it though. took it right out of the bag and fired the 50 without a hiccup.

I have been wanting a good 45 for a while. I love Glock, but was not looking for a full size or a sub compact. I thought about the Glock 36, but was not 100% in love. I did not want a 1911 or a Springfield or Smith & Wesson. I ended up handling the HK 45 Compact and Compact Tactical and I love them. They feel great, fit my hand nicely and I know its from a great company. I now am a HK handgun fan again, the USP series got old and sent me packing to Glock.

Mark

My vote would probably go to Glock even though they do not fit my grip as well as they used to.

That being said, if you don't own a 1911, you probably should at least once in your life.

After going through a couple 1911's, I finialy picked up a TRP and then added a Ultra Compact for everyday carry. The Ultra Compact isn't as refined as the TRP but it has not let me down to date. (at least 600 rounds through it)
I suspect the Ultra Compact will start to give me some issues as a couple others I know carry and shoot them a lot more than me and they have reported recoil spring replacement, etc.

IMG_0520.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That being said, if you don't own a 1911, you probably should at least once in your life.

</div></div>

That should be a bumper sticker!

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G.Ruff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STI Off Duty </div></div>

+1

Hard to go wrong with a 1911. Sigs and Fn's also are lookin' good though...

Not one vote for Nighthawk? Let me tell you, just call them once and you'll get treated like you're their only customer. They are super, and their 1911 is extremely nice. As I purchase other 1911's they will be Nighthawks, but for now all my Colt's will be going to them. Nothing from Colt has ever been Nighthawk quality. Even Colt custom shop isn't that good. I'm just fed up with buying stuff and having it fall way short of expectation. Everybody and their bother says something is gtg, but when I get it, it's junk. So in the future, instead of buying anything that is considered "good for the money" I'll just spend the money to have the best. I feel Nighthawks are right there in "best" category.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M21guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not one vote for Nighthawk? Let me tell you, just call them once and you'll get treated like you're their only customer. They are super, and their 1911 is extremely nice. As I purchase other 1911's they will be Nighthawks, but for now all my Colt's will be going to them. Nothing from Colt has ever been Nighthawk quality. Even Colt custom shop isn't that good. I'm just fed up with buying stuff and having it fall way short of expectation. Everybody and their bother says something is gtg, but when I get it, it's junk. So in the future, instead of buying anything that is considered "good for the money" I'll just spend the money to have the best. I feel Nighthawks are right there in "best" category. </div></div>

I totally agree......another top of line option for a 1911 !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have big hands and these two are my favorite.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Sig P220</span> HK45
*new FNP-45

I just bought the new FNP-45 Competition which is the exact same pistol as the tactical without the threaded barrel and it's extremely nice. Fits well in the hand, ambi controls, short reset trigger, and 15 round capacity.

</div></div>

I concur but with the P220 choice changed to the HK45

I'm hoping to see my new Sig 1911r tac pac by the end of the week. Just bought one off here Sunday and I'm hoping it shipped today. Waiting on shipping info from seller. I'll let you know what I think when I get it. Paid $775 for a new pkg deal, so price is decent for these and so far all the reviews I've read have been good. The only issue seems to be with the traditional and comp guys that don't like the slide design/size for holster issues and the external (proprietary) extractor, which I understand as you may not be able to have one lying around as an extra. I would Think you could call Sig and buy an extra though.

It was either this or a SR1911 from Ruger or a used older model Kimber or colt.

I carried the P220 on duty for 7 or 8 years and have no complaints. Although I have heard of one agency that shoot a lot having problems with breakage of the pin that holds the breach block into the slide. That agency has switched to the M&P45. I would carry a p220 again without hesitation, given the opportunity. I owned a springfield operator that jammed consistently with various ammo/magazines.

P220(based on experience) and the H&K45c(based on reputation) are your best options. I wouldn't mind trying the M&P too though.

The P220 I carried was not an external extractor model.

out of the pistols you have listed I would go with Springfield .

Kimber have made some good gun's in the past but I haven't seen them turn out a pistol that is what I think it should be for a few year's now .

when I hear the word saving, and guns my Taurus 1911 comes to mind.

Check it out. for the price, it's great.

I say Glock 36 if you are good with 6 + 1 capacity. I'd recommend what a previous poster said and go rent, or better yet, find a buddy with some .45's and try them to see what you like.

I feel that if you want a .45 then buy a 1911, I don't own a .45 because I don't have the money for the 1911 that I want yet.. If you want a polymer then go with a .40 or a 10mm imho.. Otherwise just a get a 1911.

I was to buy a big name brand 1911 then I like the Springfield TRP Operator, it's a very smooth piece. Anything from Wilson Combat is pure sex.. There are a bunch of other custom shops one which I seen on here that make beautiful 1911's.. Good luck in your search..

Glock 30 is a compact .45

10 round mag +1

I have owned the same Glock 30 since 1997. I have put countless rounds through it. All types of garbage ammo. I have never had to replace a part.
She still operates the same as she did when I first brought her home.
glockv191123456678.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://vintageordinance.com/

Liberator .45 </div></div>

I like the "Firing is not advised" disclaimer below it.

Damn thing was supposed to be a throwaway for partisans in German occupied areas in WW2.

It should be fitting that you can at least fire it.

Reload time will vary.

I've carried all kinds of .45s....Sig, kimber and glock. Take a look at a company called fusion firearms and theynwill build you a full 1911 for as expensive and fancy as you want it.

I know use my tact-5 as my carry and entry gun and it never had a single malfunction of any kind and more importantly the accuracy is just ridiculous. I would say it's just as accurate as a Wilson combat tactical super grade which costs more than 4k. My gun shoot 2-3 inch groups at 25 yards consistently and I was able to customize every piece of the gun to my liking for only $2300.

Just go to one of the 1911 forums sites and do your research.

I have been shooting the HK 45 Compact Tactical for a while and love it. The problem is with an HK, what you get is what you get. There is not too much you can do to them to fix the trigger pull or upgrade the components. Single action trigger pull is around 5.5 lbs.

Mark

Glock 21. I own many 1911s but I carry the glock. Just ask Ken Hackathorn. When asked what gun would he choose if he could only have one he said a glock. There is nobody out there that loves the 1911 more than Ken.

Ive owned the following.
Sig- suffering qc for yrs. The "dark models" have horrible adjustable sights that are loose and will not hold zero.
Glock 21 sf- still does not fit my hand but will run and run and run.
hk45- great gun in both compact and fullsize. The trigger really really sucks unless you get the LEM. Must change out the sights and mags are priced like gold.
FN Tactical....sold it after a week. worst ive owned.
MP45- great gun for the most part, I had to send two back for issues with the thumb safety. Lesson dont get the safety.
1911- As long as you are willing to spend the money to buy a good one its the best fighting gun out there if you dedicate yourself to it. Dont ever buy one with a barrel shorter than 4.25 inches.

My opinion get a mp45 fullsize or compact without a mag disconnect or thumb safety.....or get a 1911 with a sw e series or springfield mc operator being the bottom end. Never touch a kimber unless it was built long ago.

Ok, I'm not a 45 man. However, I have been feeling the love lately and aways said if i carry a 45 it would be a sig! Now i'm a cz guy 100% so look at cz 45s on czcustom.com. Love this site and you can get a dan wesson (sp?) custom made 45 or a cz and i can tell you right now if i had not put 3k in to my car and truck this last month i'd have one of the cz 45s in my save and a new one for my son as a gift comming home from Iraq for xmas! i think he will have a new cz either way!

You can't go wrong with any std 1911 or 2011. i kind of like the para ord out of charlotte too they are making some nice 45s!

I've had several kimbers (still have one), and the sig P220. If you're going to have upwards of $2k, I would say skip the kimber and go for a Wilson or Ed Brown. With my kimbers I always had to tinker with something to get them running consistently (usually my extractor). My shooting buddy has 1911s from Ed Brown and Wilson. He's never had to do anything aside from shoot them and clean them. understandably though, there is a significant difference in price point between the two.

Can't go wrong with the sig either. I've never personally had any problems with either of my sigs (226 and 220).

Oh, if you plan on using this gun for duty use or concealed carry I would make sure and do the research to make sure that you don't buy any weapon with any MIM parts in it...spend the extra money and get the higher end guns. A $1000 Kimber TLE cannot be compared to a Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown or any high end .45 gunmaker who handfits each barrel to the slide. .45's can be finicky guns because the genius himself John Browning designed them to fire 230gr hardball...not JHP's. Most failures you will see will be due to unpolished feedramps, poorly shaped extractors, improper recoil springs, shitty mags. Spend the money up front and buy a quality gun that is hand fitted with NO MIM parts. 2k will get you a completely reliable gun....hell, even less than that and you could get some low end Les Baer models which are all hand built and fitted.

Not to bash Kimber, but my best friend has a 2008 Kimber TLE with about 2K rounds through it. One day, while at the range...the enntire rear sight assembly FELL OFF. Know if you know anything about Kimber you might still be able to shoot the weapon but internally the sight is connected to the thumb or grip safety mechanism which meant he could not make his gun safe completely even though it would still shoot without the rear sight attached. I was pretty dissapointed. The stock TLE shoots good groups but it is made with MIM parts (cheap production guns use these to save cash).

He had to send the whole weapon back to Kimber for fixing and testing - time- 3 weeks. Very dissapointing. I have never seen a failure like that of any kind on a production 1911 but lets just say I would not even consider buying a Kimber. Just an FYI. Stick with quality weapons with no MIM in them.