• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What 5-25x scope? Premier, S&B or USO?

Wild_Bill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2007
Victoria Australia
hi i am looking to finalise the last part of my 338 build and want to have a scope that has ilumination, must have at least 25 power in either MOA/MOA or Mil/Mil no Mil/MOA scopes.

What one would you go with i am looking at the Premier as first place as their price seems to be better than the S&B but am unsure of the pricing on the USO if the USO and Premier were the same price i would not know what to do i do prefer the extended range elevation turret on the USO.

Re: What 5-25x scope? Premier, S&B or USO?

I have a USO 5-25X58 on my 338LM and have had very good results. YMMV
DSC01359.jpg

Either the Premier or the S&B. Both excellent scopes. Keep an eye out and you can find a used S&B for a decent price on the boards.

you cant go wrong with any of the choices that you have listed. I would figure out if you want Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA and go from there. USO is going to be the best bet if you want MOA/MOA and for me at least its a toss up between PH and SB, whichever one i could find cheaper and availible would be what i went with

i dont mind either Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA either works but i would lean to the LR type reticles on the premier or S&B i find it realy a bad idea to use moa with mils on the one scope but have used them int he past but will not buy a scope for myself that way. So the thing would probably be that the Premier is out in front at this stage as it is over $500US cheeper from the things i have seen and if the premier is as good i think that is the way i am leaning.

i have the Premier 5-25 Gen 2XR and have absolutely no complaints other than the clicks on the turrets being spaced to close together

This is my dream scope:

SN 3 5-25x58 Tpal

T-Pal Left - Standard Option
58mm T-PAL - Standard Option
EREK 1/10 MIL - 175.00
U.S. #3 1/10 MIL - 45.00
34mm - 120.00
Matte Black Type III Hard Anodizing - Standard Option
Mil-Scale MPR - 86.00
11 Pos Rheostat (Red) - 185.00
Lo Profile Housing - Standard Option
Rapid Focus - Standard Option

My vote is the S&B. I know everyone has their favorites but I have always been impressed with their quality and customer service.

Sounds like the CS from S&B is getting better. When my 5-25 PMII went down it took a little over 4 months to get it back with no loaner scope offered. After having the PH 3-15 for a little while, I'd be inclined to try the PH 5-25 before getting another S&B. If S&B had a US service center and dropped their prices a few hundred, the choice would be tough.

Wow, if those are your choices, you are one lucky SOB!
smile.gif

I've had experience with Premier and S&B. You could flip a coin, let a blind man pick, choose on the basis of the font used on the knobs, and you could NOT make a bad choice between those two.

Go with mil/mil. Pick the reticle you can use with proficiency. Go shoot.

If price is no consideration I would recommend the S&B with the P4F reticle. I own 3 of these, have had zero problems and really like this reticle. I have no first hand experience with the other 2 brands, but if I was buying now I would give serious consideration to the PH due to its price (which is going up in 2010) and the consistently favorable comments here on the Hide about this scope. I would recommend basing your decision on the features and reticles that match how you will use the scope. Those will stay with you long after you recover from buying the scope.

I don't post much on here any more but thought I'd chime in on this one. I have no experience with Premier or S&B but have owned a couple of US Optics scopes. The glass on my USO was the best I’ve ever owned. I’ve looked through the new S&B and to be honest I couldn’t tell the difference between my USO glass and the S&B.

At the end of the day all three of those scopes are tough as nails with incredible optics. I’d toss S&B out of the equation for the sole reason of repair times and having to send my scope overseas to be repaired.

My vote goes to USO because of the features they offer and the best customer service I’ve experienced. My first USO scope came with the wrong reticle. A call to USO and they immediately apologized for the mix up. I was told they were finishing a military contract and it would be a couple of weeks before they could replace my scope. John told me to keep the scope I have. Since my scope issue wasn't a repair or warranty issue to go ahead and mount it, use it and if necessary abuse it and they would send me a new one after they full field their military contract. Try as I might, I couldn’t scratch the SSDS scope. True to John’s word a new scope arrived 3+ weeks later with a shipping label to send the old scope back.

The other reason I’d still go with USO over everyone else besides the best customer support in the industry, they offer custom options the other scope manufactures don’t. You can pretty much build the scope of your dreams with USO.

Hope it helps.

Hio all thanks for the replies i am also overseas i am in Australia and any of the above scopes will need to be posted overseas if their is a probles. I have been given a price on the Premier and it is awsome the other 2 will be a lot more so i think the Premier will have to be the scope, i realy like the look of the others and features but they will be a lot more coin for similar features.

Thanks everyone for your replies i have been trying to get the funds together for over 2 years for this scope and final had the money together yesterday so i need to finalise everything.

So it will be a Premier 5-25 with the gen2 XR reticle in seekins rings it is going on my 338WBX that is a 338 Edge improved with a 60 degree shoulder i just have to finish my scope rail and fit the cheek piece then paint the rifle with Gun Kote.

I will put it up in the rifles section when finished.

you will be pleased

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you will be pleased </div></div>

I agree.

"Wow, if those are your choices, you are one lucky SOB! smile"

ditto that.

1. S&B or Zeiss Hensoldt. flip a coin.
2. USO or Premier, flip a coin again.