• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 50bmg?

jbuck88

Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
Port Angeles, WA
I sold my 50bmg a while back to help through a transition between careers and have been starting to think about picking one up again. I was drooling over the new AX50, but it's not in the budget while I'm sitting at home waiting to go to work. However might be a option soon depending on how we rebound.

What would you reccomend?

I would like to stay factory.

There is a AW50 listed locally, but asking too much. I like the DT HTI, and the McMillan listed in the classifieds here now. Or just go with a Barrett m107?

Would be a range toy to take out every once in a while to clear the sinuses.

Having owned and sold a .50 before the only way I'll ever get back into it is a the shorter barreled M82/M107 variant or a transferable auto. Expensive fireworks. Much better (cheaper, easier, lighter) stuff out there for precision and long range. YMMV.

Having owned and sold a .50 before the only way I'll ever get back into it is a the shorter barreled M82/M107 variant or a transferable auto. Expensive fireworks. Much better (cheaper, easier, lighter) stuff out there for precision and long range. YMMV.

True. But nothing creates quite the same raw destruction as a 700+ grain projectile at ~3,000fps. I don't have one, nor will I likely ever own one, but man are they fun to destroy stuff with! And in a real SHTF scenario, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of one, in anything (house, car, APC, you name it...).

Mk15 Mod 1

F3vXfnl.jpg

tWZVwUp.jpg

what about the CDX-50 Tremor? cadex makes a hell of a rifle. IMO they are as good as AI.

Reactions: powerspc
I have the cadex mk15. It is pretty much all you can ask for in a long range gun. I hand load 750gr amax and get 1/2moa which is hard to do with a 50 BMG. I am also looking to pick up a m107 to have the semi auto Capability but a good bolt gun it’s hard to beat.

I've always felt the Barrett 99 is one of the best all around guns out there. Pure fun factor it's hard to beat the 82 or 107 but they are considerably more expensive.

Have any more info on that form 1 can? Any chance you did a thread? Been considering a 50 can for a long time but have never pulled the trigger.

My form 1 can is 16” long 3”diameter 1/2” thick back plate 3” blast cavity 7 baffles 8 compartments. I made it about 7lbs to account for Losing the muzzle brake. It Eliminates all the blast and his hearing safe. Recoil is slightly more than with a break but is unnoticed since there is no blast

Reactions: AMGtuned
I’ve owned a Barrett M99, M82a1 and now have a M107a1. I also owned a Steyr HS50 M1 which is a great rifle!! Probably should not have sold her. Look seriously at the Steyr rifles.

Do you want a high accuracy 50? If so I would stay away from the Barrett semi auto, probably all semi auto. I had a model 99, sold it after a large rota-tor cuff repair. I was never 100% in love with it anyways. I will build another big bore someday, not sure it will be a 50. I have my eye on a transferable M2HB anyways.

If I had a choice of whats available at the moment I would take the HTI for the caliber swaps

Last edited:
Reactions: McCrazy
I am also wanting an m2hb I think it would be the best way to get all the power and nun of the recoil

I am also wanting an m2hb I think it would be the best way to get all the power and nun of the recoil

There are some good suggestions on this thread for accurate .50s if target shooting or hunting is really what you are wanting to do. DTA, CADEX, AI, or the Barrett M99.

If you want a semi-auto .50 just to have one so to sling heavy projectiles in the general direction of a target then the Barrett M82 or M107 will work.

Allegedly the semi-auto Barretts will shoot 1 MOA with match ammo. I can't say I've ever seen it.

Best I've seen was 2 MOA but most were closer to 3 MOA. We didn't have match ammo though and API was the most accurate stuff we could get. Ball ammo was 6-7 MOA. YMMV

Reactions: Pbgt
From what I remember was the m99=1moa, m95=1.5moa and m82=2moa.

I've owned the m99 and wouldn't mind getting another. However the M107 and HTI are on the shopping list now.

Since I already have a model 99 and an Mk 15 I decided I’m going to try the m2hb over the m107 or m82. I would never be picking any of the semi autos over my bolts to shoot for Accuracy so if I’m shooting for pure destruction and fun why not the m2 for the same price

maybe for name only the barrett m107a1 being heavier than the m82a1 something about the slide being charged is just like sweet music to my ear
but if i am really feeling frisky something on the lines of a m45c quad mounted 50 cal would do nicely

is the ticket I really want .....
though I would not say no to a few of these either

Reactions: Andrewb
If I were to buy another 50 BMG it would be a SERBU 50 semi-auto.

Attachments

• A44.jpg
    A44.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Andrewb
Since I already have a model 99 and an Mk 15 I decided I’m going to try the m2hb over the m107 or m82. I would never be picking any of the semi autos over my bolts to shoot for Accuracy so if I’m shooting for pure destruction and fun why not the m2 for the same price
Who makes semi M2's nowadays? I don't know anything about them.