• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What a beginner needs for a Match?

SilentSniperVT

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2010
Burlington, Vermont, USA
So I got my rifle about 2 weeks ago it’s a Remington 700 SPS with magpul hunter stock, bipod and a vortex 4x12 scope. Besides getting out and shooting, reading the forum and maybe getting the online training, what kinda of gear on a budget do I really need for this match? I’ll be getting a Kestrel and a rear bag soon. This will be my first time shooting more then 100 yards and the match is Memorial Day weekend here in Vermont. Thanks guys from a new Precision rifle shooter.

Reactions: Rate_of_Twist
A ten round mag is almost required as most stages are 10 rounds. I'm not sure what scope you have, but you need to have dope (or at least info from a ballistics calculator) to tell you what you need to dial for elevation and winds at certain distances. A kestrel and rear bag would be very beneficial. Most guys shooting mafches are pretty helpfhl and willing to help out a new shooter, whether it be advice or letting you try out a piece of their gear.

Show up to a match and find out what workwd and what didn't, then take it from there.

I am still new to shooting matches. As long as you have a magazine fed rife and you have proven dope, you have the most important part. A read bag would most definitely be helpful. I still dont have a kestrel and get by, but i do want one.

I would say you need to get out and dope your rifle. If you show up to a match without dope you wont have much fun. Beyond that go and have fun

Episodes 15 & 16 of the Everyday Sniper podcast go over all the gear. If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend going to episode 1 and listening from the beginning. I found it very helpful.

Also, it’s a really good idea to get your DOPE out to 1000 yards. The ballistics calculators don’t agree, because they’re all off a little bit, and in different ways. I also have found the online training to be very helpful.

Last edited:
A good bipod, to start I'd recommend a Harris S-BRM 6"-9". Other than that, go do some matches, you won't know what you like until later. Have a good time!

+1
on Culpeper's statement

Know that no matter how accurate your MV and measurements and BC are on your ballistic software, your rounds are not going to go where they are supposed to if you're only shooting to 100 now.

Pay attention to you misses/dirt splashes and make the adjustments even under the clock to hit your targets. Ask the guy next to you to write down the actual dope for your hits, then true it to your ballistic software. It'll help for the rest of the stages for the match.

Bring more ammo then you think you'll need, the everyday sniper podcast is awesome.

Spend a few $ and do the online training from Snipershide. Best value in training you're going to get.

Show up with a good attitude and just have fun. I have only shot a few and the shooting community is awesome. They will loan you gear you might need or want to try throughout the match. I shot my first match with a .243 rem 700 top loader. Main thing is have fun and pay attention to what works and doesn’t. Get good dope at the longest range you have and get off your belly after you verify dope.

I'm a beginner, and have my first match coming up next Saturday, and to say I'm excited is an understatement. My local range had a "train-up" day a month ago where whomever was interested could come and see what PRS is all about. They had five or six stages set up including barricades, roof top, KYL, etc. The local PRS team The Firm came out to teach/train all of the newbies and it was absolutely amazing. Here's what I have based on everything I've learned here, from the actual event and the veterans teaching.

1. As it was mentioned above, know your dope, verify it.
  2. Have a good rear bag you are experienced with, I actually found for me, that a homemade rear bag with popcorn kernels water proofed in a sock works best for me.
  3. The OG Game Changer is a must have for barricades, and many of the obstacles that you'll run into. After going to the train up and having the opportunity to use the game changer versus not, it was a must have purchase.
  4. I also struggled big time with wobble on barricades, and tires due to the space between by knees and my arms. I had the opportunity to try a few different bags to help mitigate this issue and settled on a Wiebad Tac Pad. I built myself a practice barricade and I've been practicing using the game changer and tac pad and I have been able to reduce my wobble substantially.
  5. I also picked up a back pack large enough to carry all of my gear including: ammo, various support bags, shooting mat, hydration bottle, notebook, rain gear, extra mags, etc. Basically everything I will have with me at the range except the rifle.
Again, I'm brand new to this so take that for what it is.

Cheers,

Pete

Reactions: GJ0
Some type of item to graph your targets and refer to your dope. Wrist band, notebook, one of those scope mounted deals, etc. My first sniper competition I treated like a more hunting oriented competition and was way behind the 8 ball because I was trying to get ranges, write my dope down, find all the targets, etc. This was all under a clock and I got timed out..Alot. Now I just make a couple of different dope cards that are about 1000 feet apart on DA and refer to that. I have a wrist band deal and it's helped alot. Depending on the stage sometimes I take it off so it is easier to see my corrections as I move through the stage if I am shooting from one position. I see quite a few guys with an apparatus that mounts to their scope that they attach a little index card to as well.

Reactions: stereo.pete
A good attitude dont be that dude thats pissed all the time, your gonna suck, your gonna miss listen to everyone and ask for help if you need. dont get hung up on gear, if you dont have it someone will let you borrow it.

Id forego the kestral get another mag and a belt mag pouch, sling, quality bipod and make sure you have good dope if possible out to 800yd.

Most importantly BE SAFE and have fun.

A bipod and rear bag is all I have used for just about every match I have shot. All that fancy shit make hitting a little easier but isn't really the end of the world to not have. A dbm rifle with at least 2, 5 round mags but preferably 2 ten rounders is also really nice if you want to have a chance at getting all the shots off in the allotted time.

Jbm online with get you really close on your drops as along as you know your velocity. Then after the stage is done, write down what the actual drops were as close as you can. Also windage with your guess of the wind speed. If your guess is 5-7 and it's actually 10-12 isn't really important as long as you right it down and deal with it the same next time you guess the speed is 5-7. DOPE is knowledge gained. A computer will get you close but actually shooting is the only way to be sure.

Oh, and water and snacks ?

Rifle, magazine, chamber flag, ammo, bipod, rear bag (mine was a sock with rice the first two times), pen+paper, masking tape+sharpie, ballistic calculator or dope sheet, water, and snacks. Backpack to stuff it in.

If you have it, bring additional bag, camera, sling or glass/tripod for spotting.

And, a good attitude.

Reactions: gnatmm
Okay this is good information thanks guys. I don’t care if I come in last I just want to learn and shoot farther then 100 yards
Get training! So far I’ve had training with th NRA long range 1+2,, Rifles Only. There is tons of information here on this site, but get out and shoot. The advice I consistently got was to dry fire, dry fire, and more dry fire. Just remember a gun is always loaded.