• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What about these CCI BLAZER BULK groups? "100yrd"

charlie_atlas

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2012
West, Tennessee
Hey guys I’m new to the whole “long range” shooting and am on a budget like most everyone else. So I finally threw this Ruger 10/22 together that I have had on the backburner for a few years and puts some rounds through her. It sports a $100 Clarke barrel, $60 eBay scope, and some CCI Blazer Bulk pack. It had probably 100 rounds through it when I shot these groups and I didn’t do a barrel break in or anything like that. Built it and shot it. My question is.. Are these groups average for CCI Blazer Bulk at 50 yards and what ammo do you suggest to tighten these up that wont break the bank?

THE RIFLE

IMAG0109.jpg

IMAG0110.jpg

IMAG0111.jpg

THE GROUPS (3 shots at 50 yards, 85*F, mild wind)

IMAG0124.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

Re: What about these CCI BLAZER BULK groups?

Won't get much better with Blazers or anything else at that price point, I reckon. Good shooting. Shoot some ten shot groups though! Blazers are cheap and 10 shot groups will tell you a whole lot more. See how they do with other ammo at the same price point. Keep increasing your ammo quality until it meets your expectations for the given application. For me, Blazers and Win 555's are sufficiently accurate and consistent for plinking and general practice even out to 200 yards. At a slightly higher price point, Federal AM, Win T22's, and CCI SV are good places to start.

Ill try to get those 10 shot groups this weekend and see what happens then. Ill post pics with an update once im done. Ill also throw in some 100yrd groups with the Blazers to see how thats going to turn out. Then on to better ammo. Thanks for the info..

i like the blazers through a savage mkii, at both 50 and 100 and was very surprised at the performance they provided.

as far as a HV RN, they would be my first choice.

for a cheap standard / match / subsonic velocity ammo try CCI standard velocity.

a little pricier you have sk jagd rifle match or wolf match target & extra which seems to be an ammo that works in many types of rifle.

agreed with Hatchcock, 10 round groups will tell you more

nice groups and rifle by the way.

You could try shooting 2 shot groups, that would probably shrink things down a bit.

My marlin is about 3/4 to 1 moa at 50 yards with blazer. Things open up when I move out to 100. I shoot blazer exclusively in my marlin because the accuracy is acceptable and the cost is very reasonable.

Blazers usually shoot a little under .5 inches at 50 yards from my Savage Mark II. A real interesting phenomenon I have noticed several times is that Blazers will shoot a very small 5-shot group if shot immediately after SK Plus or other higher priced ammunition -- it must have something to do with the lube, because subsequent groups of Blazers will then open up to the .5 size.

i wouldn't bitch about those groups with bulk ammo. my setup will shoot a bit better with that ammo, but i have noticed that my groups spread out pretty quick after 150 rounds or so. I have to do a pretty thourough cleaning to get em back down. What magazine is that?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Winchester Subsonic HP</span> seems to fly about as good as CCI Standard Velocity, and cost a few bucks less per 500. If I can't find Wolf Match, or CCI Std Vel, I don't hesitate to pick up a brick of win subs.

So I got out this afternoon and as asked I shot some 10 shot groups to really see what the CCI BLAZER was all about and to change a few minds about bulk ammo. It was 87* and light winds but here are the results.

I sighted it in on the bottom right and the other groups where shot right afterwards. The gun was cleaned prior to sighting in. Also no breaks where taken between groups and I didnt take 10 forevers shooting each group.

Note: These are 10 shot groups at 50 yards.

THE SET UP

IMAG0154.jpg

IMAG0157.jpg

50 YARDS 24 ZOOM

IMAG0158.jpg

SHOOTING

VIDEO0021_0000013809.jpg

THE GROUPS

IMAG0159.jpg

CCI BLAZER BULK

IMAG0170.jpg

CCI MINI MAGS

IMAG0171.jpg

CCI STANDARD - Point of aim was at the top of the triangle on these.

IMAG0172.jpg

REMINGTON SUBSONIC - What the Hell was this all about? Each shot dropped.

IMAG0174.jpg

It's always a great day when you find that your rifle loves cheap ammunition! Good shooting and great rig!

Tell me about it! Even better when your "Cheap Parts Rifle" likes Cheap Ammo.

Next will be some 100yrd groups with the same ammo - the remington sub.

Looks like blazer and cci std vel is your stuff.

now on to 100 yards...i hope they stay releatively as well for you as they did at 50

it's always nice to see a 600.00+ setup shoot a 3 cent round that well

liking the webbed look.

Rem subs sucked for me in all my rifles, at least that was my experience. I'm going to have to try those Blazer rounds.

I have had good results from Blazers for being bulks. Also had good results from Federal Champion Match blue box. Still not as good as Wolf that I usually shoot, but both the Blazers and Federals shoot much better out of our rifles (Anschutz) than any other bulk I have tried.

Casey

Today I got out and tried to get yall some 100yard 10 Shot groups like I promised and here are the photos of how it ended up. As you can see there is only the CCI Blazer group.. due to getting called into work I wasnt able to get groups for the Mini Mag and Standard. Also Im no pro at 100yrds and this being my first time actually shooting a 10rnd group at that distance Im sure with practice the Blazers can group alot better.

Todays Set Up - 88* , Mild wind

IMAG0189.jpg

100 YRDS @ 24 Zoom

IMAG0191-1.jpg

CCI Blazer Bulk 10 Shot Group

IMAG0192-1.jpg

Try a trigger and sear kit from clark custom, or volquartsen. Or just stone the sear and trigger up a bit smoother, along with shimming out some of the slop. And a barrel V block ($20) that will hold the barrel up, and stable it a bit will all help for not a lot of money.
Some other items that will help the longevity is a exact edge extractor, about $10. Because the stock stamped steel will give out if you shoot it a lot. And a bolt buffer will eliminate the bolt slamming into the steel pin that it replaces. All that would be around $25.

But just the way it's shooting now with bulk ammo is pretty damn good.

That's excellent shooting for that setup! I just found a good source for Blazer locally, so I'm a happy toad.
laugh.gif

I'll have to post a pic of my own results tomorrow evening if I get a chance to shoot by tomorrow.

#3482323 - Yesterday at 03:56 PM Re: What about these CCI BLAZER BULK groups? [Re: charlie_atlas]
mrbooks10
Sergeant

Loc: indiana Whats up with that mag?

Its a Promag Archangel 25rnd cut down to hold 10rnds.. For the big rifle look.. haha

Re: What about these CCI BLAZER BULK groups? "100yrd"

Wow, that gun can shoot! I have never used the Blazer bulk ammo, in .22 LR anyways, but maybe I need to pick some of that up. I would say that 10/22 of yours can really put em' in there.

We also have good luck w/ bulk Blazer. Best group yet was this. My 13 year old son shooting, off a bipod. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">100 yards</span></span>. Too bad he had the flyer. The group was .900". Without the flyer was .500".

DSCN8988.JPG

Good shootin.. I plan on shooting some more 100yrd groups with the blazer to see if I can tighten mine up a little more.

We shoot a ton of the Blaze in the Black and Silver box when we are just out having fun . We only break out the match grade stuff when Money or Pride is on the line . Our results have Pretty much mirrored yours with most of our built rifles shooting sub inch groups .