• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Action For a .308

nick338

Commander- of what I have no idea
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Going to put together a .308 rifle for general all-around use. Don't need anyone to pick an action for me, however there are a lot of people out there that experience what actions cycle effortlessly and stay running despite shitty conditions. I would like to know what actions you have seen go down the least and keep you in the game no matter what environment you're in.

Are you talking factory or custom receiver to build off of?
Custom: Mausingfield from American Rifle Company, Impact, Bighorn TL3, Kelbly

Reactions: 143lrsd
It's very simple. Users say brand x,y, and z have proven to be very reliable, and a and b don't do well in dusty environments. Then I can make a decision.

Not sure what about that is funny.

Are you talking factory or custom receiver to build off of?
Custom: Mausingfield from American Rifle Company, Impact, Bighorn TL3, Kelbly
All custom to build off of.

Building a custom .308 in 2024? There’s like 50 better choices of caliber for a do all gun. Get a terminus zues. So when you realize 308 is a turd you can change the barrel in 30 seconds

Building a custom .308 in 2024? There’s like 50 better choices of caliber for a do all gun. Get a terminus zues. So when you realize 308 is a turd you can change the barrel in 30 seconds
Sure there are cooler rounds out there, but they still go bang, holes still appear in the middle of the target and fun is had. I am shooting an Impact/ZCO/manners/Bartlein 308 and it does what I want it to.

Personally, I'm looking at buying a Tikka in 308 for general purpose shooting. It's simply going to be far cheaper than building off a custom action, will be reliable and accurate enough to do what I need it to do.

Reactions: RTH1800
Except I'm already set up to load everything .30 cal.
I'm shooting and loading for an M1A.
Lapua makes brass for .308 and other brass is always around.
.308 ammo is always on the shelf.
Barrel life is far better than any caliber you're talking about.
.308 is not finicky or hard to tune and very accurate.
Recoil is mild
Law enforcement everywhere uses a .308
.30 caliber bullets are easier to see impacts and misses.
.308 case is ideal for reliability.
Inside 1200 yards, what other cartridge checks all those boxes and does what a .308 loaded properly can't do?

Recoil is mild
Inside 1200 yards, what other cartridge checks all those boxes and does what a .308 loaded properly can't do?
If you’re shooting at 1200 yards then literally any of the modern 6 or 6.5mm cartridges will knock the pants off a 308. Haven’t heard of anyone having trouble loading for any of the creedmoors, or lapua cartridges. Plus many others. If you’re using lapua brass and building a custom rifle are you really worried about a little less barrel life? Im not sure what the law enforcement comment has to do with anything but ok.

6.5 Creedmoor uses the same shell plates. All you need is dies and brass (more on that later)
During the panic, 6.5 brass was available. 6.5 Lapua brass also exists, as does a host of others
So is 6.5 Creed
41.5 H4350 (also very available) on a 140 gr Hornady or Berger Millions of gay men can't be wrong
Recoil is mild
6.5 Creedmoor is milder
Who cares. Grandad carried a 30-06 and won the war agaist Jerry and Tojo. Times change.
So is 50BMG. PRS competitors use 243 bullets and can spot crap out to 1000.
6.5 bullets can be seen quite a ways
You know its like almost the same case, necked down to 6.5
My only feed problems are when I f up reloads.
6 Creedmoor
6.5 Creedmoor

Just admit your gay like the rest of us and get a 6.5 Creed. its like 308--but MOAR FABULOUS

And best of all--it takes a 308 bolt face!

(Yes I have 3 308s that I can remember--M1A s are cool and all, but times change, Nam has been over for 50 years) You need like a 200 gr projectile in 308 to get the same BC as a 140 6.5 (numbers approximate)

If you’re shooting at 1200 yards then literally any of the modern 6 or 6.5mm cartridges will knock the pants off a 308. Haven’t heard of anyone having trouble loading for any of the creedmoors, or lapua cartridges. Plus many others. If you’re using lapua brass and building a custom rifle are you really worried about a little less barrel life? Im not sure what the law enforcement comment has to do with anything but ok.
It has to do with the all the reasons I already posted. It's easy and it works, there's a reason why they keep buying them.

6.5 Creedmoor uses the same shell plates. All you need is dies and brass (more on that later)

During the panic, 6.5 brass was available. 6.5 Lapua brass also exists, as does a host of others

So is 6.5 Creed

41.5 H4350 (also very available) on a 140 gr Hornady or Berger Millions of gay men can't be wrong

6.5 Creedmoor is milder

Who cares. Grandad carried a 30-06 and won the war agaist Jerry and Tojo. Times change.

So is 50BMG. PRS competitors use 243 bullets and can spot crap out to 1000.
6.5 bullets can be seen quite a ways

You know its like almost the same case, necked down to 6.5
My only feed problems are when I f up reloads.

6 Creedmoor
6.5 Creedmoor

Just admit your gay like the rest of us and get a 6.5 Creed. its like 308--but MOAR FABULOUS

And best of all--it takes a 308 bolt face!

(Yes I have 3 308s that I can remember--M1A s are cool and all, but times change, Nam has been over for 50 years) You need like a 200 gr projectile in 308 to get the same BC as a 140 6.5 (numbers approximate)
.308 will have 5X the barrel life a 6 Creedmoor will and probably double what a 6.5 Creedmoor does. Not interested in prefits to pull a barrel once a year and ruin the bedding, I'm not building a chassis rifle and I don't care to wait 8-9 months on a barrel. So getting 5k rds on a barrel is high on the list.

Isn't it amazing how many people have difficulty just answering a question without trying to impose their will upon you?

Thanks on the Impact advice.
Isn't it great that a community tries to help you avoid a mistake even when you have your head buried in the sand? When people gave me bad advice, I just say "ok" and move on.

If you are worried about barrels and bedding cost you are in the wrong sport my friend.

I'll add this:
Kauger or Tikka to your list.

Reactions: RTH1800
Isn't it great that a community tries to help you avoid a mistake even when you have your head buried in the sand? When people gave me bad advice, I just say "ok" and move on.

If you are worried about barrels and bedding cost you are in the wrong sport my friend.

I'll add this:
If you want to bitch about other people cartridge choice, you are in the wrong thread my friend.

Zermatt origin is best for the money. Impact if your wallet is full.

I'll add this:
Why don't you give Mike from Tac Ops a call and tell him his head is buried in the sand because he builds a lot of .308 rifles.

And you're statement about being in the wrong sport because of cost is way offline. Cost has nothing to do with it. I work 60 hrs a week and have limited time to shoot. I can't put thousands of rds downrange every month, live my life around traveling and competitions, have sponsors throwing gear at me all the time and I like traditional wood and fiberglass stocks, so I have no use for chassis and barrels I can swap out in 10 min. It's not a cost issue, it's time. I just wanted a rifle that I can grab and have fun shooting in a caliber that I already load for and has components available all the time.

Not sure why that's such a problem for some people.

Isn't it great that a community tries to help you avoid a mistake

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: wildcats
I love .308, and I love the Zermatt Origin. That would be my "easy button" choice.

Neither are a mistake.
Obviously your head is buried in the sand 🤣

Crucified in the shooting community for building a .308, oops, didn't mean to offend all the haters.

Go to proofs website and look at what actions they make prefits for. Any of those would be good to go.

Reactions: powdahound76
It has to do with the all the reasons I already posted. It's easy and it works, there's a reason why they keep buying them.
Love my Terminus Zeus

• Precision 3-lug receiver with 60° bolt
  • Receiver is made of pre-hardened 416 Stainless Steel
  • Receiver has an integral .300” recoil lug and 20 MOA Picatinny Rail
  • Raceways are electric discharge machined, EDM, for exacting tolerances
  • 3 lug, .725” diameter fluted bolt machined from one-piece, pre-hardened 4340 Chrome-Moly
  • Receiver and bolt are both DLC treated
  • Proprietary Bolt Knob
  • Comes standard with quick change barrel feature
  • Receiver headspace tolerance and timed threads allow pre fit barrels to be installed by the customer
  • Receiver threads are 1.0625”x16 T.P.I.
  • Patented threaded trigger pins replace outdated hammered-in style pins
  • Accepts Remington style triggers
  • Mini M16 extractor
  • Improved cantilever style bolt stop provides strength and does not require stock modification
  • .062” diameter firing pin
  • Roller tipped cocking piece for smooth cocking operation
  • Designed to accept AI and AW style magazines
  • Remington 700 footprint allows interface with standard stocks and chassis systems
  • Zeus is available in short action or long action
  • Short action available in .223, .308, .445 ARC/PPC and Mag bolt
  • Long action available in .308, Mag, and Lapua bolt
  • Weight: 37.76 ounces
What more can you ask for..........

Reactions: nick338
I have a defiance deviant (before the buyout) that I enjoy. Next one will be kelbly atlas tactical. You’re going to get a million different answers of why X is better than Y, because I shoot X.

If you search the forums a bit, I remember a thread someone posted about all the big name custom actions and his experience (pros and cons of each). He had impact, defiance, zermatt, kelbly, etc.

Exactly what I was looking for.

Love my Terminus Zeus

• Precision 3-lug receiver with 60° bolt
  • Receiver is made of pre-hardened 416 Stainless Steel
  • Receiver has an integral .300” recoil lug and 20 MOA Picatinny Rail
  • Raceways are electric discharge machined, EDM, for exacting tolerances
  • 3 lug, .725” diameter fluted bolt machined from one-piece, pre-hardened 4340 Chrome-Moly
  • Receiver and bolt are both DLC treated
  • Proprietary Bolt Knob
  • Comes standard with quick change barrel feature
  • Receiver headspace tolerance and timed threads allow pre fit barrels to be installed by the customer
  • Receiver threads are 1.0625”x16 T.P.I.
  • Patented threaded trigger pins replace outdated hammered-in style pins
  • Accepts Remington style triggers
  • Mini M16 extractor
  • Improved cantilever style bolt stop provides strength and does not require stock modification
  • .062” diameter firing pin
  • Roller tipped cocking piece for smooth cocking operation
  • Designed to accept AI and AW style magazines
  • Remington 700 footprint allows interface with standard stocks and chassis systems
  • Zeus is available in short action or long action
  • Short action available in .223, .308, .445 ARC/PPC and Mag bolt
  • Long action available in .308, Mag, and Lapua bolt
  • Weight: 37.76 ounces
What more can you ask for..........
Can't really. My only concern would be a heavier bolt lift compared to a 90 degree.

I also looked at the BAT Hammerhead, but not too many people have any experience with them yet.

Reactions: wildcats
Can't really. My only concern would be a heavier bolt lift compared to a 90 degree.

I also looked at the BAT Hammerhead, but not too many people have any experience with them yet.
Also like the Defiance. for the money, a Tikka wouldn't be a bad choice. many choices as some others have posted,and they are all very good actions

@nick338

Work less bro!

I too like having a .308 in the safe.

Its not my only rifle, but gets shot a decent amount.

IF you can wait, seems like deals pop up on .308s pretty regularly in the PX.

Im currently shooting a trued 700 with Bart barrel from the PX I dropped in an A5 from the PX (stocks are my choice over chassis too).

First 5 shot group with fgmm was .302
Second .310.
Harris and Tab gear rear bag.

And I bet a nickel I can keep it at 0.5 MOA at 600 on paper…

Note to have a rifle I can grab some fgmm and shoot if Im too busy to load.

Because of budgets, I dig the Origin for a custom.
Never wanted more and have shot a lot of different actions.
Well. Lapua BF for a LA to make a 300 Norma, but thats all……

I have a defiance deviant (before the buyout) that I enjoy. Next one will be kelbly atlas tactical. You’re going to get a million different answers of why X is better than Y, because I shoot X.

If you search the forums a bit, I remember a thread someone posted about all the big name custom actions and his experience (pros and cons of each). He had impact, defiance, zermatt, kelbly, etc.

I think that was @Matt_3479 who has that thread

Any of the modern actions would be a good choice. It's hard to make a bad choice these days.

I use Remington 700 actions. Tons of aftermarket stocks, triggers, and magazine styles to choose from. Fairly cheap and accurate.
Perfect for the 308, 9 twist Bartlein, Rem Varmit contour, 22" to 24" barrel. I chose 22"
Stock of your choice, or alum chasis and center feed mags for 2.990" long cartridges.
Or real performance go with a R 700 LA 8 twist Bartlein 30" barrel heavy palma contour, center feed chasis 3.4" cartridges out of the mag...
2860 fps with 200 gr .715 bc bullets. Or 230 gr Atip 2620 fps. Even the 250 Atips are on the table.
Lots of improvement to be had with the 308 case, over 3600 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with brass cases and over 4000 ft/lbs with hybrid cases in the 30" barrel.
Dial the weight you intend to carry and the performance you desire.
308 Win case 200 SMK .715 bc 2874 fps ave, good load, easy to attain with hybrid cases.
1400 yds no problem, even with 155s back in 2003.
Modernize it or not the 308 Win is still capable of excellent performance.

Attachments

• 20230519_125022.jpg
    20230519_125022.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230827_221822.jpg
    20230827_221822.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 28
Why don't you give Mike from Tac Ops a call
I chose Lone Peak Fuzion for a few reasons. I couldn't find any bad or negative reviews, every mention on this website was favorable unlike almost every other action that had a mix of good and bad reviews. And @MikeRTacOps replied to a thread where a shooter was asking about about which action to buy and he advised the LP Fuzion. I think the person was specifically asking about LP vs Impact. That was good enough for me and I have zero regrets. I actually really love my Fuzion. And of course Bartlein makes the best barrels to accompany the action :)

I chose Lone Peak Fuzion for a few reasons. I couldn't find any bad or negative reviews, every mention on this website was favorable unlike almost every other action that had a mix of good and bad reviews. And @MikeRTacOps replied to a thread where a shooter was asking about about which action to buy and he advised the LP Fuzion. I think the person was specifically asking about LP vs Impact. That was good enough for me and I have zero regrets. I actually really love my Fuzion. And of course Bartlein makes the best barrels to accompany the action :)
He's currently using Surgeon, so I wonder what prompted the change.

He's currently using Surgeon, so I wonder what prompted the change.

He's always used a mix of Surgeon and R700.

I think he has some experience with the LP, but it's mostly the two options above.

The LP is a great action. Runs incredibly well in adverse conditions. A great choice if looking for a 90* pushfeed action.

I have a Ruckus in a long action and I would say it's ok, nothing I'm in love with. Had a BAT HR and it would get sticky in a hurry. Curtis Vector was nice but the bolt lift was a little heavy. Zermatt TL3 was nice as well, but I want to go with an integral rail.

I also need to make sure the action will run reliably with AICS mags with no binder plate.

I would definitely go with an action you can get pre-fits for.

308 is still a perfectly fine round to put down range. There really isn’t anything wrong with it. It’s a great training round.

People with vehement hate for it couldn’t make accurate wind calls and went to 6-6.5 to be “competitive.” They still aren’t competitive, and it’s usually because they still can’t call wind.

You do you homie.

Reactions: nick338

308 is still a perfectly fine round to put down range. There really isn’t anything wrong with it. It’s a great training round.

People with vehement hate for it couldn’t make accurate wind calls and went to 6-6.5 to be “competitive.” They still aren’t competitive, and it’s usually because they still can’t call wind.

You do you homie.
I think at some point we all get sucked in to the latest newness to try and gain the slightest edge over the next guy, and I've been there myself only to learn that more often then not magic cartridges don't make you a better shooter, they only give you a false sense of hope to compensate for a lack of training.

The only person I'm competing against with this rifle is myself, and when I actually sat down and thought about the cartridge choice and all the things that were important, at the end of the day, having heavier bullets, more barrel life, commonality with a cartridge I was already loading for with a ton of Lapua brass on hand, and availability of factory ammo everywhere, a .308 was the easy choice.

You do you homie.

Assuming that you were a mortarman, I'm snickering at the similarities of your former trade and what people believe the trajectory of the .308 is.

You left out the part where they are recoil sensitive too and don't want to admit it.

8 posts in 5 years, and you are off to the races making friends :ROFLMAO: . Love it.

In for the responses until I run out of popcorn.

Assuming that you were a mortarman, I'm snickering at the similarities of your former trade and what people believe the trajectory of the .308 is.

You left out the part where they are recoil sensitive too and don't want to admit it.

8 posts in 5 years, and you are off to the races making friends :ROFLMAO: . Love it.

In for the responses until I run out of popcorn.
You mean we have to start including OT factor in our wind calls if we shoot 30hate?

I lost my custom bolt guns in a divorce years ago. Still had a lot of .308 brass, components and powder from the old days. Got the itch for another .308.

After looking at what it would cost to build another GAP .308, I went poor. Purchased an AR10 in .308. It is a blast to shoot.

An option you may wish to consider.

I lost my custom bolt guns in a divorce years ago. Still had a lot of .308 brass, components and powder from the old days. Got the itch for another .308.

After looking at what it would cost to build another GAP .308, I went poor. Purchased an AR10 in .308. It is a blast to shoot.

An option you may wish to consider.
Not in NY it isn't.

Here is three rifles at reasonable prices to get you shooting. Shoot em, if you are not happy with the results true the action, rebarrel, new stock, etc etc. But I’m sure they will get you where you are wanting to be.