• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What advantages does an MK12 have?

greydarrah

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2012
GA
The rifle got a lot of good press from the Lone Survivor book, so I'm wondering if I might "need" to make it my next 5.56 purchase. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is anything special about it that might make it a better choice over something from Rainier, Noveske, LaRue, etc...

Also, if I bought a MK12 upper (from High Caliber Sales), will it fit on my Noveske lower..or maybe I should ask, what lower are you "supposed" to use for this setup? Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I still relatively new to the commercial AR world.

Thanks

Re: What advantages does an MK12 have?

Use anything you like. The Noveske will mate right up. If you want it to be "true" MK12 specs there is some reference available here.
The only "advantage" is the barrel is optimal for the MK262 ammo with the ability to attach the Ops Inc 12th model suppressor.

Anyone have any range data on this? Love to see groupings.

Just search MK262, 77SMK, or MK12 in the custom search engine to the right or Google. Loads of posts and pics.

One advantage is that if you get the High Caliber Sales upper you can be confident it will hold up to the higher pressures of the correct MK262 ammo when shooting high volumes of the correct full power ammo. The ammo pushes the pressure limits of 5.56.

I dont think you will have an accuracy advantage to the Noveske you have in your signature line. My MK MOD 0 does 1/2" with the MK262 ammo. As was said before it works with the Ops Inc 12th model but there are other cans that are good too. The MK12 in either MOD 0 or MOD 1 works very well for a high volume precision rifle by placing lots of accurate rounds on target. Not that you would need it outside a war zone.

I choose a Noveske, the switchblock really works well !

Still waiting on all the parts, but the way I see it, build what fits your needs, unless you into the whole exact vintage thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thmpr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the original lower used? </div></div>

M16A1, with a Safe/Semi/Auto trigger group.

^^^^^^
I think they used Geisselle triggers in them at one time or another.

My 2 cents is to just build what you want yourself or have it done to your specs. Stumbling around the internet I find douglas, lilja, shilen, sometimes rock drop in barrels (White Oak barrels are good and less than 300) for reasonable $$$$ and it's not like there is a shortage of retailers stocking the rest of the parts you need.

The only advantage my MK12 has over the other rifles you mentioned is how badass it looks!

As far as ammo goes, MK262 is a relatively mild load for the 77gr pill. I had the opportunity to chrono some military issue MK262 while working up a load for my service rifle. My loads that matched MK262 velocities showed no pressure issues at all. Asking around I was surprised to find that many shooters were using reloads that were much higher, without any pressure signs.

And from what I can tell Black Hills doesn't have more than one brown box, NSN assigned, load.

I,m thinking the myth of MK262 ammo lacks any real basis in truth (other than it a very accurate load. In fact, some of the water based service shooting teams are using for all distances in service competition.

In the end, shoot the ammo in your MK12 that it likes and you can afford.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Newtrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any range data on this? Love to see groupings. </div></div>

Here's my range report, great gun.