• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What ammo. should I be running in my Savage 110-ba .300 win. mag?

TXHandgunner

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2013
Just can't dial this thing in on cheap ammo. and have come to the understanding I need to pony up for the good stuff. What do ya'll recommend? I can't reload at this time but will be doing so in the future.
Any info. on this rifle helps as I am just breaking into the "long range" shooting family.
Thanks!

While wasting all that money on cheap ammo that doesn't shoot you could be saving money for reloading equipment. $200 investment would be all you need to get started. How much have you spent on your last 4 boxes of ammo? About $200? There is no excuse nowadays for not reloading with the current prices of ammo. Components are now easy to get aside from Varget and the best primers.

Make friends with a reloader and bring your own components.

I have a few friends that don't want to jump into reloading because of the initial cost and learning curve. I give them a course in Reloading 101 and let them use my equipment until they can afford their own.

The first couple posts wrapped it up. For less than the cost of a box of each match ammo to see what your rifle likes you can get a good start in reloading.

On a side note, when you say you can't get it dialed in with cheap ammo, what do you mean, and what kind of groups are you getting? In my experience a good shooting rifle, especially a heavy barrel target rifle should shoot even the winchester, remington, and federal hunting ammo 1-1.5MOA. If it won't hold that with at least one of them I would have to say something is up with the rifle or a component on the rifle.

\

On a side note, when you say you can't get it dialed in with cheap ammo, what do you mean, and what kind of groups are you getting? In my experience a good shooting rifle, especially a heavy barrel target rifle should shoot even the winchester, remington, and federal hunting ammo 1-1.5MOA. If it won't hold that with at least one of them I would have to say something is up with the rifle or a component on the rifle.
this! I have a Mauser 98 with a heavy barrel in 300 win mag and I get 3/4-1'' groups with Remington core-lokt 180g. I have the ability to reload but I can never find components to do so.

Like they said.... its even easy to set up a portable loading station and do it at the kitchen table. You dont need a fancy elaborate set up to load quality ammunition.

it's very expensive to do any amount of shooting with a .300 win mag without handloading. Hell, it's expensive even if you do handload. That said, if you want accurate factory ammo to try in that Savage, just get Federal Gold Medal Match with the 190 SMK.

My handloads in the BA usually are just under 1.5" at 200. Load is 77.9 H1000. 190 SMK. WIN brass. 215 Primer. Just incase you do start loading.

As far as factory ammo, Black Hills, FGMM, and Hornady 190 BTHP, are all quality loads that will group better than the hunting stuff most stores have.

I agree with Hahco. My first time out precision shooting, a buddy helped get me set up and we were pinging steel at 475 yards with Federal Gold Match 190 grains all day long.

Any quality match ammo should give you good results. A good friend of mine was shooting hornady a max match ammo before he started reloading, and was getting .75 moa out of the same rifle you have at 100 yds. Where the factory ammo struggled was downrange. The consistency just want there. I'm talking 1000-1300 yds. He was getting a deviation of 12-14 inches at those ranges with factory ammo. Since he has started reloading, he is at 1 hole groups at 100, and shooting ~80% hits at 1k+ running 190 smk seated to touch the lands, on top of 75.5 grains of h1000.

I don't understand. You can afford a $1500 rifle, + glass, + accessories, and you can't reload? If it is a space or "wife" issue, I get it. If you have the space and the wife is ok with it, I can't get my head around why you can't reload.

I work on the road full time and travel in an RV, we sold our house a couple of years back as we were just never there. Although I have one of the biggest RV's available for full-timing, once you load up the clothes, stuff, pistols, rifles, wife, Doberman pincher and Blue Heeler dog, there's just not much room left for reloading stuff. However, when we come off the road in a couple of years and build a place (one of my requirements for land we are looking for is a space for at least a 500yrd. range) I will have a room of my shop dedicated to loaded.