• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What ammo to buy for .308 Remington 700 5R

JC PAINT WORKZ

Private
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2012
IN
www.youtube.com
This is my first bolt gun and I'm still waiting on my glass but I'm trying to get everything setup and ready to go. What ammo do you guys recommend starting with. I plan on buying dies to start reloading my own here soon. I'd like to stock up on some good factory ammo until then. Any recommendations?

Re: What ammo to buy for .308 Remington 700 5R

Federal Gold Medal Match 175s out to 1K. It seems I see guys using 168s and they are great to 800yds but sometimes they have problems getting to 1K..

YMMV

Southwest, Federal Premium, Black Hills and Copper Creek. Of those, you may want to check out Southwest and Copper Creek in particular, as they are sponsors for this site. All the Southwest ammo that I've used has shot very, very well. I'd shoot any of those in 175gr out of your rifle.

Mine shoots the Hornady 168 TAP & Fed Gold match in 175 or 168 extremely well. If you reload, the 175 SMK are very hard to beat. Mine does not like the 178 Amax very well.

Ok does anyone know if my local places would carry the Federal Gold Match 175's or any of the others listed. Or is this something thats normally only found online. I hate to buy at Gndr and other local BBox stores but until I can reload I'd like to just start buying a box a week and online would kill me with shipping.

I would go with the Southwest Ammunition 175 gr. they give great long range accuracy. These are very accurate loads and roughly the same price or even cheaper than FGMM.

Sportsman's Warehouse carries FGMM here in Denver. Not sure if Sportsman's is near you though.

I find 168 gr FGMM on the shelves locally all the time, but never the 175s. Don't know why. I hand load, so it doesn't matter to me. However, if you are trying to learn your rifle and dope, you'll want one type/brand of ammo and stick with it. Availability is definitely something to consider.

Find something your rifle likes (175gr SMK vs 168 gr SMK vs ?) then buy a bunch of it. Or start handloading.

The fgmm 175s only last a day or so at my local Sportsmans Warehouse. I guess everyone buys 10 boxes when they're in stock.

So I just buy from Southwest Ammo. Buy the 175smks in Winchester brass and you've got ammo to shoot and brass to reload.

If your Rem 5R doesn't shoot well with any factory match ammo you have a gun problem.

Ill even reload the brass for you so you can save some money.

Zach

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JC PAINT WORKZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is my first bolt gun and I'm still waiting on my glass but I'm trying to get everything setup and ready to go. What ammo do you guys recommend starting with. I plan on buying dies to start reloading my own here soon. I'd like to stock up on some good factory ammo until then. Any recommendations? </div></div>

I have used all three of these ammunition makers in my 5-R/AICS rifle. All shoot about the same for a given bullet choice but if you intend to buy factory ammo to use the brass pass on the FGMM as the brass is soft. I would suggest Black Hills Match or Southwest Ammo both are using Winchester brass which is much more reliable in terms of case life.

HTH!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Below is a little review of my ammo's capabilities behind a m40 clone.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...794#Post3709794

Zach </div></div>I plan to take you up on loading some brass, and I'm gathering the brass now.

OP, at first - meaning about three years ago - I was not overly impressed with SW Ammo. Today, however, they produce an excellent product that for me has been every bit as good and as consistent as factory match ammo from the bigger name brands. If I were you I would order some of the 175SMK stuff from them because 155 Scenars may or may not work in your factory barrel, depending on its bore diameter.

I can usually get Federal at Dicks Sporting goods for $24/ box, which is cheaper than prices I've found online after you factor in shipping. This is for the 168's.
Eric

Once you find what you & your rifle like, buy as much as you can painfully afford. Meaning a case, or more.
Yeah, it may hurt the wallet temporarily, but ammo keeps it's value (knock on wood). Call it a "precious metals investment" if you like.

I was going to be a smart ass, but changed my mind.

I shoot the American Eagle 168 Grain OTM, it is loaded with the speer 168 match bullet.
It shoots VERY well and is available for somewhere between 16 and 18 dollars a box.

Cabelas had FGM on sale last week for 19.99 per box. I bought a good amount of it so i can test out on my rifle. I plan on keeping the brass to reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharm762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the Southwest Ammunition 175 gr. they give great long range accuracy. These are very accurate loads and roughly the same price or even cheaper than FGMM. </div></div>

+1

I can't wait to try out this stuff in my 5r. I'll let you know with a range report!

buy one box of as many different manufacturer you can find and find out which one shoot best in your rifle and stock up on that.
Cheers.

For serious shooting I'd stick with these two brands:
Hornady A-max and Match
Federal Gold Medal Match

For plinking:
Magtech 150gr
CBC(made by magtech) M80 7.62x51 147gr
Fed american eagle 150gr FMJ or 168gr OTM
PMC bronze 147gr

+2 for Federal 168 grain GMM. But I'd spring for 308 Lapua brass for reloading.

Of all the previous posts there appear to be only 3 people recommending ammunition which shoots well out of their Remington 5-R Milspec rifles. The rest of the posts seem to be people who simply have an opinion. Some posts seem to base their opinion on what may or may not have actually been used in rifles which may or may not have been Remington 5-R Milspecs which may or may not have been chambered in .308Win.

It would be nice if the folks who actually own and shoot Remington 5-R Milspec rifles would identify themselves here along with how their 5-R is configured and what they found to shoot well from their 5-Rs.

Just wishing for some better clarification on which opinions are based on actual 5-R experience with various ammunition and which are conjecture.

5R in AICS 1.5. 168 SMK over 45.3 gr of Varget, Winchester brass, CCI BBR primers. 2.801 OAL.

1/2 moa out to 500. 1 moa or so at 800 (furthest I shoot)

It does the same with Hornady 168 Amax. If I wasn't reloading (or having ammo reloaded for me I should say) I'd be shooting Hornady.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On my website, there is a video of 5R shooting our ammo past 900 yards.

http://vimeo.com/24666198 </div></div>

I've fired your Southwest Ammo 175g SMK ammo out of my 5-R/AICS rifle, it shot very well. The 175g SMKs seem to be seated a little bit long for Aries64's TacOps X-Ray 51 clearly engaging the lands and pulling bullets out of the case when unloading unfired rounds. I measured several loaded rounds and many showed a COAL well over 2.845" averaging about 2.815 or so with this batch. In any case the SW 175g SMKs all shot very well out of both the TacOps X-Ray 51 and 5-R/AICS rifles. If I didn't enjoy reloading my own so much while getting excellent results I would just have SWA do my loading for me.

EDITED: 5-R Milspec, Tubb SpeedLock, Huber 2-stage, PH5-25x56/Seekins, AICS 1.5

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5R in AICS 1.5. 168 SMK over 45.3 gr of Varget, Winchester brass, CCI BBR primers. 2.801 OAL.

1/2 moa out to 500. 1 moa or so at 800 (furthest I shoot)

It does the same with Hornady 168 Amax. If I wasn't reloading (or having ammo reloaded for me I should say) I'd be shooting Hornady. </div></div>

Have you tried slowing your 168g SMK load down a bit? I found that with my 24" 5-R shooting 168g SMKs over Varget worked better closer to 2,650-2,670fps which is a bit slow for a 168g SMK at 1,000 yards but very very good out to maybe 850 yards.

So I tried loading up some 168g A-MAXs over IMR4895 and found the same accuracy node but at 2,720-2,730fps which seems to shoot very well past 1,000 yards. The A-MAX bullets seem to go trans-sonic more gracefully than the SMK bullets do. For heavier bullets I'm liking the usual 175g SMK and the 178g Hornady Match bullets over RL-17. All of these loads used Winchester brass with Russian primers. Now I'm playing with a 208g A-MAX load at 2,450fps to see how well they work out past 1,200 yards in the real world.

I'm shooting at low desert altitude, figure 1,200ft elevation.

I shoot a 5R, 20" threaded barrel, Seekins base and rings with Weaver Tactical 3-15X50 EDMR.
168gr FGMM shoots just a little over 0.5, consistently. While I relaod 168 and 175, I can't be any happier with this off the shelf ammo.
The photo of two 3-shot groups is Federal Premium 165gr Barnes Triple-Shock. Factory ammo that I use for hunting.

IMG_0099.jpg

Only thing I'm seeing locally is Fedral Fusion 150gr, Fedral 180gr soft point, Winchester Super-X, Winchester power point 180gr. This was at gander. I plan on hitting up Dicks this weekend

My local Sportsmans Warrhouse sells FGMM for 22.99/box. I grabbed the last two boxes for my 5R. However, they also had some 7.62x51 FGMM. Does anyone here have experience with it?

I own a 5R and have put just about everything listed here through it. Mine loves Hornady match 168 BTHP & Federal GMM 168. I also likse shoo because they shoot just about the same and doesnt require much doping between. For the Federal I go to Wal Mart, yeah I know, but I ask them to order it for me and they usually will. It is also about five dollars cheaper than anywhere else I have seen. As for Hornady, just about anywhere else. Where I live, Sportsmans Warehouse is typically the least inexpensive.