• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What AR .308 is the best to buy...................

Bullseyelr

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2009
VA
What AR .308 is the best to buy....I am looking to buy an AR in .308 and use it for long range..(well 300-700 yards) and put a leuppy M4 on it. I dont know to go with Armalite, (pricey) or a RRA LAR-8, or a DPMS....does anyone know which one brand offers the best AFFORDABLE configuration (20 in. barrel) with the best accuracy / group? I am expecting groups like my bolt guns and I know I am not going to get it.... but I want close to it. Thanks for all your input.

Re: What AR .308 is the best to buy...................

I would prefer Armalight for my choice. I've owned two of them (Still own one ) And I love them. I have killed many deer with the 20"......Fantastic accuracy. They have no bad issues, as reliable as one would hope for. The mags are alittle higher priced if you want more of them but I would rather have a great rifle with no issues. Tried and true.......Hard to beat in my opinion.....
SmokeRolls

They are all good. I can't think of one - DPMS, RRA, Armalite - that is "bad".

As far as accuracy goes I would expect 1" or better with decent ammo.

Do you want cheap, reliability or quality? Hard to have all three. Out of the three you mentioned, I would go with Armalite, but thats just my preference.

I would go with POF, real accurate, got a groundhog at 357 the other day and a deer at a shade under 500.

Sub .75" accuracy for 5 shots.

-dan

edit: this is what i mean. . .

I had 3 different Armalite rifles. All were custom rifles but would never run more then 20 rounds without stove piping or completely locking up.

I would recommend you stay away from armalite rifles.

LWRC REPR, Larue OBR, POF, DPMS all are fine makers of rifles.

I have the DPMS LR and I am very happy with it, the accuracy of my gas guns are at the heels of my bolt guns(and closing fast).
Check out the thread with all of the pictures of the semi autos.http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=721751&page=1 That is what I did before I got mine, I was on the verg of an Armalite, but I was able to get the DPMS and save a few bucks.
This thing is accurate as hell out of the box, I did add an RRA two stage trigger and polished the feed ramps, as well as hung some toys on it.
I don't feel like a second rate citizen because I went DPMS, My groups prove that I made a good decision.
SScott

i have and will continue to back JD machine tech's 308 upper and lower combos they are REALLY nice, i say buy a set and send em to gap and let them work their magic, thats what i'm doin
laugh.gif

Describe "affordable"...

For out-of-the-box, I went Armalite and don't regret it a bit. It's been solid and dependable since day one. For a custom rig, I'd look really hard at GAP.

Need to shoot prone from the left shoulder, then the Armalite is not going to be good choice as its forward assist will slam into your lip upon firing and perhaps knock out a tooth or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need to shoot prone from the left shoulder, then the Armalite is not going to be good choice as its forward assist will slam into your lip upon firing and perhaps knock out a tooth or two. </div></div>

Mine (AR10A4) doesn't have a forward assist Sterling, though I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
laugh.gif

I have had two Armalite AR 10's for 10 plus years. Both have been reliable and extremely accurate. Both shoot sub MOA in my clumsy hands.

I also have several piston driven 7.62s of various brands. Several of them are mag/feeding sensitive and they are certainly much more expensive than a DI AR.

Based on my experience - non with either DPMS or RRA 7.62's, I'd go with the Armalite unless things have changed with them over the years.

I also have a bunch of new in wrap high cap mags for the Armalite, if you need any.

First off, what is your budget? We can all take stabs at "guessing" what may or may not be the best choice for you, but knowing how much you want to spend on your rifle, mounts/rings, optics, bipod, etc., etc. will go a long way toward pinpointing the best options out there.

Second, what are your expectations with a 308 gas gun in terms of accuracy? Are you talking 1.5MOA, 1MOA, sub-MOA?

I will tell you that if you are "wanting groups like [your] bolt guns" that it is possible, BUT you need to throw the "affordable" idea out the window and concentrate on quality components for a custom build. It is tough to get a reliable (100%), highly accurate rifle out of the box from the factory unless you definition of "accurate" is MOA or so.

As long as your skill set is where it should be, and you are running decent ammo, a custom gas gun can put you into the sub-MOA accuracy range without much difficulty. While there are factory rifles capable of the same, there are diminishing returns to spending the kind of money on a factory rifle when you can go custom for not much more money.

If you are going factory, wanting sub-MOA accuracy, reliability, etc., then the POF P-308 20" SPR is an excellent option, but not a cheap one.

Again, let us know what you want to spend and folks here may be able to get you closer to a specific rifle/platform to consider.

Affordable to me would be $1300.00-$1500.00 for just the rifle..no optics. I will get that next. I would like sub MOA out of it using my hand loads. I just wanted to know what peoples opnions are as far as DPMS, RRA, ARMALITE or whatever brands are out ther....and the pro's / con's with them..and accuracy they are getting.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullseyelr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Affordable to me would be $1300.00-$1500.00 for just the rifle..no optics. I will get that next. I would like sub MOA out of it using my hand loads. I just wanted to know what peoples opnions are as far as DPMS, RRA, ARMALITE or whatever brands are out ther....and the pro's / con's with them..and accuracy they are getting.
Thanks </div></div>

This one is like mine though the scope in the photo is likely far better than the one on mine
laugh.gif
I was out the door for $1,200.00 as I recall but that was two years ago: a very different time in many ways...

It gets the 1.5 MOA as advertised. It is the thinnest barrel profile of their line and has the collapsible stock, thus an atypical long range rig. But I do love it so!

When the commies are beaten into submision and I begin to have discretionary income again, I will add a 10T upper and a better stock. Dare I say a GAP or Noveske?

Time and some good fortune will tell.

AR10A4_CAR20large.jpg

Maybe something like:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=162923156

and then stick a different gas block and a free-floating handguard on it, along with a trigger upgrade. That would put you in the ~1300 dollar range. Armalite makes a great rifle too, only reason I don't like them is that mags cost a bit too much imo. DPMS can take C-Products and Magpul, both of which aren't expensive.

If you really want group size and don't care what it weighs, there are factory bull barreled DPMS and RRA models out there which shoot well, but considering how much my 20" bull 223 weights I am willing to bet a 24 or 26" bull 308 AR is a fat pig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had 3 different Armalite rifles. All were <span style="color: #FF0000">custom</span> rifles but would never run more then 20 rounds without stove piping or completely locking up.</div></div>
I'm sure yours were more accurate than mine due to the custom work you had done but are you sure that it was not the "custom" work that caused the malfunctioning and not just the brand.?
SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had 3 different Armalite rifles. All were custom rifles but would never run more then 20 rounds without stove piping or completely locking up.

I would recommend you stay away from armalite rifles.

LWRC REPR, Larue OBR, POF, DPMS all are fine makers of rifles. </div></div>

I have to wonder who was building your AR10's for you....and why you kept buying from them if they didn't run.

Honestly I am NOT a gunsmith. I am a guy who can bolt together parts. I built my AR10 in my garage using a smattering of Armalite, Magpul, Badger, and Noveske parts (all were top-quality, no compromises). It was about as simple as you can get. I dumped some Militec1 in it and ran 100 rounds rapid fire through it without so much as a hiccup. Now I have built an AR or two before, so I knew what areas to pay attention to and what not to. I just don't see how you can say "stay away" from all AR10's because you had a couple customs that someone screwed the pooch on.

As I previously said, I went Armalite. A plain old AR10A4B, no forward assist, A2 stock and handguards, out the door for $1099. Added a Sightron SIIB 4-14x44 mildot and a Harris BRM-S and away I went. Shot it that way for the first year while learning, learning, learning. 168gr FGMM shoots MOA, with handloads I'd expect better if you do your job.

This year I replaced the A2 components with Armalite's "cheapie" FF tube kit (80 bucks) and a Magpul PRS stock. After I shoot the barrel out, I'll drop the bucks on a Rock or something. In the meantime, more ammo and learning, learning, learning...

FNAR Just add optics and bipod.Sub m.o.a. and runs without a hicup. Heavy Barrel is my choice.
Scot

I just bought an AR10T with a 16 inch match stainless barrel last week, and love it. This is my second Armalite, but I wouldnt hesitate to buy DPMS if my local guys carried them. I shot a 1 MOA group at 400 yards with it so I am very happy.

pix958704671.jpg

I like the RRA for the fact you can use FN clips with them. The only drawback is the lower is not compatable with DPMS or any of the rest of the MIL spec'ed AR uppers.

I just shot my JP LRP07 this past week. It's pricey but the sucker is awesome! I'm not a great rifle shooter and my groups were consistent 3/4" MOA at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdavis78102</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the RRA for the fact you can use FN clips with them. The only drawback is the lower is not compatable with DPMS or any of the rest of the MIL spec'ed AR uppers. </div></div>
Man, I hate being that guy, but this is something that bugs me; "Clips" are things that go in a little girls hair.

"Magazines" is the word you are looking for. Or "mags".

Or even "stripper clips" if you are talking about a platform that uses them.

Yeah...I'm grouchy after a bad day
mad.gif

I have only built AR308s with DPMS parts, and they are shooters. Not quite bolt gun accuracy, but they are not that far off at all. All that you have listed should be good to go, I just prefer the DPMS.

Has anybody shot the 26 inch RRA 308 HB I held one the other day at my local dealer and liked the whole fit and feel but wanted to hold off untill I heard some reviews.

You want 20 inches, accuracy, affordability and reliability? And you want to shoot distance? The choice is easy... Armalite AR10T

Great Lothar Walther barrel, great fit and finish and I've seen a couple in the for sale section here and arfcom lately.

You wont regret it.

AR10-T, you may pay a bit more, but you will add a lot less. I hate when someone says, buy this and send it to... Buy the 10-T and shoot the barrel out, then put a Noves on it. If you don't shoot less than MOA with good ammo, just keep practicing.

I love my DPMS LRT-SASS. With Gold Metal Match ammo I get consistent .75 MOA out of the box. Very good price to quality ratio IMHO.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sterling Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Need to shoot prone from the left shoulder, then the Armalite is not going to be good choice as its forward assist will slam into your lip upon firing and perhaps knock out a tooth or two. </div></div>

OMG, Sterling, when did they start making them like that?
Do they make any without the FA?

And whatever happened to Eagle Arms? Armalite used to sell AR-10s with stainless barrels for < $1,000 through Eagle Arms.

I have an old Armalite Ar-10 that started out as a carbine. I had Armalite replace that barrel with an Eagle stainless tube and install a float tube. I finally got a scope mounted on it and took it out last week for the first time. Shot a mid 190 at 600 with it. It is a hammer and I've never had a hiccup out of it.

Re: What AR .308 is the best to buy...............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had 3 different Armalite rifles. All were <span style="color: #FF0000">custom</span> rifles but would never run more then 20 rounds without stove piping or completely locking up.</div></div>
I'm sure yours were more accurate than mine due to the custom work you had done but are you sure that it was not the "custom" work that caused the malfunctioning and not just the brand.?
SmokeRolls
</div></div>

I had two Armalites (at two different time periods) sent off to JP Rifles, who are pretty well known for their competition AR work. All they had done were new barrels and gas blocks. everything else was stock. They did fine for awhile, then I was replacing mags and extractors weekly. They always would jam, even with the factory 20" barrel. I found them unreliable and thats just me, deal with it.

The "custom" work you speak of was done by a well known company (JP Rifles) that seems to only work on these semi auto platforms.... I have 4 different Armalites, all at different times, some were upgraded, and some were not at all. I even had a 14.5" upper come from Noveske built for a Armalite lower, guess what happened? Never would feed or extract. I wasnt going to keep paying for $55.00 mags hoping that was the issue.

If your going to buy one factory off the shelf I still support DPMS, for the money they are great. I had a SASS model and it always ran flawlessly. If you want to spend more go to the top tier like GAP, Larue, LWRC, POF and so on.

on mag prices:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/187.php

19.95 20 rd armalite mags, just got mine the other day and used in competition all functioned no FTFs.

granted if you have to buy from armalite, the mag pack special is like a $45 mag.

anyways, armalite mag specials happen all the time seems like you have been able to buy 20 and 25 round mags for $20 since December.

Or you could go DPMS/POF style and get perfect PMAGS for less then $20.

JMO.
-dan

I have not had one feeding problem at all out of the new PMAGS for the LR308. Part of the reason I went with the DPMS is that it seemed easier to get parts that would work in it as compared to the Armalite and finding parts for it.

"Best" comes with many people's persons preference.

That being said DPMS style if you call it that is more a standard then the new modified armalite rifles. Does not mean it has to be a DPMS by name many compatible uppers and lowers. Does not mean one better than the other.

have to call B.S. n that quote I have shot from the left shoulder all my lie and have never had that happen to me. Right now I have a
armalte super sass 308 and a bushmster 223 wth a 24" barrel and 2 m4's with no missing teeth!

I don't think you need a 20" barrel for the accuracy you seek. A DPMS SASS with an 18" barrel can shoot .5 moa out of the box (if you're a good trigger of course) although you're looking at $1900 and change. Even when I'm having a bad day I can shoot 1 moa with it.

Personally, I'd save up a little extra coin and get a loaded platform from the start. Just using DPMS as an example (there are other good brands)a SASS is loaded except for the optic. If you go with a less equipped model, by the time you finish adding crap to it (and you know you're gonna) you'd have more $$ spent than if you went all the way in the 1st place on a crate gun.

I know they cost more but my stoner SR-25 shoots like a house a fire. We shoot alot of reactive targets out to 850 yrds and I run right with the bolt guns. hope this helps.

Does anyone have any feed back on th LWRC REPR?

I recently got an LR-308 (well - finished it - built the lower and bought a complete 24" upper). I have been surprised by this thing. It's an honest MOA gun with the BH 168 grain rounds I've fed it. No, the key wasn't staked well (easy enough to fix), and it is a bit long for my tastes, but it is a shooter. I'm using both the fulton armory mags (which are likely just DPMS) and Magpul. Both work well.

I stuck an old Leupold 3.5-10x40 tactical mil dot (old school with the 1" tube - this thing was the shit 15 years ago
wink.gif
) on it in medium rings. I have 35 moa of travel left on the scope. I haven't chrono'd the ammo, but I imagine I can get out to 800-1000 with it (maybe have to hold over - but I don't have a 1k range anyway).

I really wish the bbl was 4" shorter, but it's lighter than I thought it would be and this thing can really lay down accurate fire fast. I'm gonna restake the key, and shoot the piss out of it. If it's reliable, I'll make it a work gun.

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

You'll want a sloped base to get some elevation to 1,000 -- you may run out at 850 (if you need 36 MOA from 100 to 1,000).

Your Leupold is more than good enough to get to 1,000 if you use 175s or 180s. The 168 starts to go trans-sonic at 850 out of a 24-25 incher at Camp Perry in the summer.

DPMS LR 308, have someone shorten and recontour the barrel as it is a bit heavy

or just buy the Remington R25 with pimp camo
Basically a DPMS but with remington name on it and a medium contour barrel.

there might be a problem with military calibers and military type rifles with civilians. The commercial browning in 30-06 might serve his needs without problems.