• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What AR .308 is the best to buy...................

Re: What AR .308 is the best to buy...................

Lots to choose from anymore. My AR10T has about 2500 rounds through it, is still sub moa, functions flawlessly, has no FA and has never had a need for one. I've never really sweated mag prices but if you do, M14 mags work in both my AR10's and IIRC the last ones I bought were $10 a piece. The last 2nd gen Armalite mags I got were 5 for $150. Fit and finish on all AR10's I've seen is excellent as is upper to lower fit and in my experience, it stays that way.

okie

i would do a POF !
laugh.gif
pof pof

I have an Armalite on the way. Still waiting on a barrel though.

Also look at what upgrades you want to get, because they only make some parts for armalite that they do not make for DPMS style and same the other way

I am hearing Rock River 308 autoloader is shooting pretty good - about 1.5 moa. The best part is it can be found in the mid-1000 range.

Northland's right, a lot of parts are not interchangeable between manufacture like the ar-15 is. As far as the best ar .308 to buy, I think your better off piecing one together. Thats what I did because I couldn't find one that I was content with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get GAP or Medesha or Sabreco to build one. </div></div>

I have a GAP AR10 and 2 Saberco 6mmAR's. All are very high quality and never miss a beat. This would be my suggestion as well.

Hope this helps,
Trilogymac

I've had no problems with my RRA LAR-8.

Obviously I am a wee bit biased, but I would say it really depends on what you want to do with the gun.

A lot of the guns do not do well suppressed. They may be fine for a short string but will have issues over a larger amount of rounds since the majority of guns are seriously overgassed, and the can makes it worse.

.308 guns are not as plug and playas their 5.56mm cousins, tighter tolerances, and no real TDP (outside of the Army M110) so you cannot mix and match.

My GF bought me a DPMS LR308 24" HB SS (slick side no forward assist)through "RGuns"three Christmas ago for less than $1000 (rifle+s&h+$25FFL Fee). Within three months I fitted it with a Geissele trigger,ambi-safety,ambi palm shelf ergo grip,Badger gen2 tac latch, Leupold M4 4.5-14 LRT w/TSR"W" steel rings and Versapod. The only loaded ammo I fired was M118LR during the break in period.Since then tried several bullet weights(155-178)and powders. SMK&NOS 168gr with Varget/H4895 seem to be the best combo for this rifle. My best 5 shot groups in a 5 group string (25rds) was 1.4" to 2.1" @ 300yds. Brass was Lapua loaded with Forster Dies. I use this rifle for stand hunting with 165gr Hornady SP with slight elavation change. I am left eye dominate and shoot right and left with no issues with this rifle. I am satisfied with this rifle as it is the most accurate out of the box semi I've ever owned. The list includes Colt AR15, 2 M14s, 3 FALS, 5 M1 Garands and many surplus semi rifles.Good luck with your choice of AR10 style of rifle.

FNAR The Other Ar 308
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody shot the 26 inch RRA 308 HB I held one the other day at my local dealer and liked the whole fit and feel but wanted to hold off untill I heard some reviews. </div></div>
I got the Rock River Arms LAR-8 varmint .308 26" bull and put a 100 rnd of various hardware store ammo thru it while gathering my parts and pieces. Nice groups from .7moa to 1.5moa but I suspected it could be better.

I put a magpul PRS stock and tac grip on it. I gave it a S&B PMII scope 5-25x56 with badger rail and rings. I got a lead sled and some fed gold gold metal match 175gr. I shot at my range, 100m and had two 3-shot groups right at .5moa. It is a heavy pig, but I love it so...

For the record, I wanted a DPMS first, but found the RRA in-stock first so I got it.

I will post gun and target pictures soon.

I think this should be a pole.
A vote would show better results.

I vote DPMS, the panther 24" is a great buy, with an upgrade to an A3 upper and a full fluted barrel.
You can order from DPMS the .308 with all sorts of goodies.
Worth a look.

Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this should be a pole. </div></div>

Pole's prefer their nationality to be capitalized. You could poll them on it if you doubt me.

I have a REPR. I only have about 100 rounds through it, so we are just getting to know each other. Here are my impressions:

The CMag magazine does not work in it properly. Failure to feeds primarily, and double feeds. I contacted LWRC and they are aware of the issue and will fix it. My 2 Mag Pul magazines work fine - no problems with these.

Fit and finish are flawless.
Left side charging handle is a great idea. No reciprocating, it aids in the operability of the rifle. I can see this feature becoming a standard on high power AR's - its a smart idea. Think about operating the bolt without moving your head - like a bolt action.
There is a right side bolt release too.
The gas switch block makes shooting it supressed pretty amazing, very very mild recoil. THe gas spray to the face is already pretty minimal due to the piston system
The piston system keeps the receiver pretty clean and with the coated bolt carier fouling just wipes off.

Accuracy - I have not had a good day at the range to evauate this, it was too windy both days and blowing the target around.
But I was able to produce 1 moa groups occasionally. More on this later.
It was very expensive at 3600.00.
When you hold an LWRC in your hands immediately you become aware that you are holding a better made weapon, not a beater.

So far I am happy with this, but with that price I better be. I am certain that LWRC will take care of the magazine issue promptly. I will report on that too.

I am so impressed with the REPR, I ordered a LWRC M6A3, it should arrive at my dealer by this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ramiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> there might be a problem with military calibers and military type rifles with civilians. The commercial browning in 30-06 might serve his needs without problems. </div></div>

The OP is in the United States, and not in New Jerseystan or Kaliforniastan so that is not an issue...Yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WWG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta989</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anybody shot the 26 inch RRA 308 HB I held one the other day at my local dealer and liked the whole fit and feel but wanted to hold off untill I heard some reviews. </div></div>
I got the Rock River Arms LAR-8 varmint .308 26" bull and put a 100 rnd of various hardware store ammo thru it while gathering my parts and pieces. Nice groups from .7moa to 1.5moa but I suspected it could be better.

I put a magpul PRS stock and tac grip on it. I gave it a S&B PMII scope 5-25x56 with badger rail and rings. I got a lead sled and some fed gold gold metal match 175gr. I shot at my range, 100m and had two 3-shot groups right at .5moa. It is a heavy pig, but I love it so...

For the record, I wanted a DPMS first, but found the RRA in-stock first so I got it.

I will post gun and target pictures soon. </div></div>
Pics are up!
rra1.jpg

rra2.jpg

target1.jpg

target2.jpg

I really like my Armalite AR-10A4F. Fell in love with it all over once I free floated the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a REPR. I only have about 100 rounds through it, so we are just getting to know each other. Here are my impressions:

The CMag magazine does not work in it properly. Failure to feeds primarily, and double feeds. I contacted LWRC and they are aware of the issue and will fix it. My 2 Mag Pul magazines work fine - no problems with these.

It was very expensive at 3600.00.
When you hold an LWRC in your hands immediately you become aware that you are holding a better made weapon, not a beater.

So far I am happy with this, but with that price I better be. I am certain that LWRC will take care of the magazine issue promptly. I will report on that too.

I am so impressed with the REPR, I ordered a LWRC M6A3, it should arrive at my dealer by this weekend.</div></div>

Had my REPR for a couple weeks. I had a flawless 10 rounds before I sold it for just a little under what I paid. I've decided to let LWRC get the problems worked out and order an OBR.

My LWRC M6A2 has been flawless.

OP, I've owned a DPMS AP4 in .308 Hard to beat DPMS for the price.

Re: What AR .308 is the best to buy...............

Go DPMS, no problem feeding through PMAGs and alot of them come .5moa from the factory, switch out the trigger to a geiselle, put on the hardware and optic of your choice and roll with it.

WWG, that is a beautiful rifle.
I'd really like to know what scope you have on it.

Gorgeous...
Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ramiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> there might be a problem with military calibers and military type rifles with civilians. The commercial browning in 30-06 might serve his needs without problems. </div></div>

The OP is in the United States, and not in New Jerseystan or Kaliforniastan so that is not an issue...Yet. </div></div>

Contrary to popular belief, we can own cool guns in Cali too.

I love my 308 AR.

DPMS!!!!!!!!! You can't go wrong. I think the same about an out of the box Rem 700 LTR. Sure you can find a more accurate rifle but only about 1/2 MOA more accurate for more the twice the price. It's the same with an AR10. DPMS' are affordable and very very accurate. They're SASS actually kicked Knight's ass in the government contract test on accuracy. DPMS just didn't have the turnaround that Knight has. I've shot a lot of AR10s I only own one make for this very reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS!!!!!!!!! You can't go wrong. I think the same about an out of the box Rem 700 LTR. Sure you can find a more accurate rifle but only about 1/2 MOA more accurate for more the twice the price. It's the same with an AR10. DPMS' are affordable and very very accurate. They're SASS actually kicked Knight's ass in the government contract test on accuracy. DPMS just didn't have the turnaround that Knight has. I've shot a lot of AR10s I only own one make for this very reason.</div></div>

dude, there is one M110 SASS, it beat the other competitors in accuracy and reliability.
Please don't pass out junk info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS!!!!!!!!! You can't go wrong. I think the same about an out of the box Rem 700 LTR. Sure you can find a more accurate rifle but only about 1/2 MOA more accurate for more the twice the price. It's the same with an AR10. DPMS' are affordable and very very accurate. They're SASS actually kicked Knight's ass in the government contract test on accuracy. DPMS just didn't have the turnaround that Knight has. I've shot a lot of AR10s I only own one make for this very reason.</div></div>

dude, there is one M110 SASS, it beat the other competitors in accuracy and reliability.

</div></div>

+1

If DPMS wasn't the cheapest out there I don't think anyone would be buying them.

In all fairness, one might do well to consider who Mr. Boland's employer is, and how that might affect his opinion. Just my 2 cents.

Yep he's paid to say that and I'm paid to win. Don't get me wrong Knight makes great product. Just my opinion that for the money I'd rather spend the extra money on their UNS system or another high end top dollar optic, that's were the real diff is.

The AR10 is just that an AR. You can't expect headshots at 1000yds with any AR10 make. Multiple threats at 0-600 meters right? Isn't that the reason for the tools creation as a sniper option. So if all a top dollar model will give me is a slightly tighter group and or a few more mechanical options, then I'm buying the DPMS cus it will kill just as good for less. Oh, and did i mention I can get mags for a DPMS much cheaper. And for some reason other makes are using DPMS mags apposed to the other. Why. Cus Joe the Plumber buys DPMS. I don't have a dog in the fight just a dollar.

Again scopes... totally diff situation. Bad glass can cost you your life or in our work you mates. I spend my cash where it matters.

I can also find mags for cheaper like my new MagPul ones

There are certainly plenty of companies that make excellent 308 AR platforms, and I have no doubt that there were specific reasons for KAC getting the military contract. The simple fact is that for what it costs to buy the baseline rifles in the higher end, you could build an equally or more accurate rifle with more accessories for an equivalent amount. I think it's more practical to spend the difference or less in the little bit of equipment it takes to make the less expensive gun outperform the other. It's nothing against the manufacturer, it's all about what I'm gonna get outta my buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS!!!!!!!!! You can't go wrong. I think the same about an out of the box Rem 700 LTR. Sure you can find a more accurate rifle but only about 1/2 MOA more accurate for more the twice the price. It's the same with an AR10. DPMS' are affordable and very very accurate. They're SASS actually kicked Knight's ass in the government contract test on accuracy. DPMS just didn't have the turnaround that Knight has. I've shot a lot of AR10s I only own one make for this very reason.</div></div>

</div></div>

Agreed. There is one M110 SASS and for what it costs it had better perform. And yes, I have spent $$$ for other sticks, AI, GAP, McMillan. For the money the DPMS LR-308 is one hell of a nice package.

How about getting us a NICE price on KNIGHT'S ARMAMENT?
sleep.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have a dog in the fight just a dollar.
</div></div>

Exactly. That's why I built on the DPMS platform. I got a good deal on parts that do what I want them to do.

Mine works great, just under 700 rounds through it since february and I'm sure it won't disappoint me at the range tomorrow either.

Lots of good companies out there with lots of good parts for every budget, figure out what you need, spend wisely, and put the rest towards ammo and fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sure you can find a more accu!rate rifle but only about 1/2 MOA more accurate for more the twice the price. .</div></div>

Come on brother! Do you know what it takes to turn a 1 moa rifle into one that shoots .5 moa? That .5 moa costs a lot of coin if you dont smith them yourself. .5 moa is 5" @ 1K and thats if you are talented enough to work wind, elevation and temperature PERFECTLY which I dont personally know and have never seen anyone that can. "Twice the price" might be only a starting point to get .5 moa taken off a rifle.
smile.gif
And after you've done that....shoot it for five years and a few thousand rounds and see how its doin then?

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sure you can find a more accu!rate rifle but only about 1/2 MOA more accurate for more the twice the price. .</div></div>

Come on brother! Do you know what it takes to turn a 1 moa rifle into one that shoots .5 moa? That .5 moa costs a lot of coin if you dont smith them yourself. .5 moa is 5" @ 1K and thats if you are talented enough to work wind, elevation and temperature PERFECTLY which I dont personally know and have never seen anyone that can. "Twice the price" might be only a starting point to get .5 moa taken off a rifle.
smile.gif
And after you've done that....shoot it for five years and a few thousand rounds and see how its doin then?

okie
</div></div>

An excellent point! I'd love to be a witness to ANYONE shooting 5" @ 1K with a KAC or anything similar. I think the argument still remains bang vs. buck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new 308 LMT is to release in August is certainly worth a look. </div></div>Supposedly some have shipped already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new 308 LMT is to release in August is certainly worth a look. </div></div>Supposedly some have shipped already. </div></div>

I think the brits already have a few in their army. Pics I saw looked like very nice rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nihonjin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamf911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The new 308 LMT is to release in August is certainly worth a look. </div></div>Supposedly some have shipped already. </div></div>

I think the brits already have a few in their army. Pics I saw looked like very nice rifles. </div></div>Nice. I meant being shipped to civilians, though. Supposedly a member on ARFCOM already has one via his local gun shop. No pics yet, though. MSTN states they are expecting their shipment late this month.

Just got the LWRC REPR with the 18" barrel. I mounted an Nightforce NXS 5.5x22x50 scope. I have put 100 rounds thru it in the last two weeks on the 100 yard range and its shooting tight.

Going to try and get out on a longer range next weekend and really put it thru the paces.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SHAKAZULU</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sure you can find a more accu!rate rifle but only about 1/2 MOA more accurate for more the twice the price. .</div></div>

smile.gif

okie
</div></div>

Well bro.... Like i said the AR10 is an AR, not a 1K tool. You're right about the worth of a .5 moa stick, but only if you need it. In my opinion and again just my 2cent, if I need an AR10 I need <span style="font-weight: bold">ADEQUATE</span> accuracy. What i need more is five to ten more adequate rounds in a few seconds. Adequate is the word otherwise I'd be using my real stick. If i need an adequate bolt gun then I'll use my $700 LTR. If I need to takeout Billy Bad Ass at 1.5K, I'll spend some cash and buy a .5moa stick. Its all about priority and practicality. What you need when you need it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mean And Unseen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WWG, that is a beautiful rifle.
I'd really like to know what scope you have on it.

Gorgeous...
Cheers. </div></div>
Thanks MeanUnseen,

That would be a S&B PMII 5-25x56, .1mil adj, FFP illum p4fine, 2 turn, CCW turrets set on 22moa badger 249-25 rail and 306-75 rings. Seems to be true .1 mil clicks at different ranges and returns to zero fine. I like it.

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think this should be a pole. </div></div>

Pole's prefer their nationality to be capitalized. You could poll them on it if you doubt me.</div></div> LOL you gotta respect that kind of wit!!

My Noveske N6 outperforms my MK11 in terms of accuracy. I've never reproduced anything resembling the test target (.4). I've had nothing but problems with the Mk11. Kevin B. although he works for KAC is good to deal with. I wish the product was as likable.

Does anyone know if RRA sells their uppers separately? I currently have a LAR-8 with a 26" barrel and it just is heavy as a pig. Want to swap out the upper for something more along the lines of a 16" barrel.

Don't know if they're actually available or not, but they do list them for sale on their website in various configurations.

I have a plain old Armalite AR10 20" and flat top with an old Redfield scope that I picked up really cheap. It is pretty accurate and have not had a problem with it. Actually its been much more reliable than the m14s I use I am sure it would be more acurate with a match barrel. Other than that it has functioned flawlessly. I have not shot it for groups but only sighted it in and shot a deer at about 180 yds.

I've had an Armalite AR-10T with a Springfield 3rd generation 4-14X56 Scope on it. I've put a Magpul PRS on it and love it. I can shoot prairie dog sized rocks on my place at 800 & 900 yards with 168 gr AMax with Varget all day long at 2550 FPS. Armalite did it first and they stand behind their product. Mine is a 1999 model and when I purchased some 2nd generation magazines Armilite came through with the free parts up upgrade my rifle to like new. They took wonderful care of me and I'm sticking with them. My rifle is much like the SASS version without the fake suppressor.