• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are my rechambering options for a .300 win mag AW?

Mr_Happyface

Huge Dork
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
Batting around the idea of selling my .308 AW and getting a .300 win mag in order to stretch my range out to 1500-1800.

I don't have any experience with that cartridge but just looking at my options for future growth, I'm seeing the .300 has a base diameter of .513".

What would be the diameter of the bolt face on that rifle? What calibers could I potentially switch this rifle to without swapping anything aside from the barrel?

264 Win Mag
Win Short Mag series fits very well in the long actions
7mm Rem Mag
300 Win Mag
338 Win Mag
300 H&H mag
375 H&H
264 Wby Mag
7 Wby Mag
300 Wby Mag
340 Wby Mag
7 Rem Ultra Mag
300 Rem Ultra Mag
338 Rem Ultra Mag
338 Edge (338/300 RUM)
7mm, 30, 338, 375, 416, 404 Dakota
404 Jeffreys
Gunwerks 7mm LRM

This is a partial list.

If you want to get similar or better ballistics, the 7mm Rem Mag with the 180 hybrids will be very good, or you could step up to the 338 Edge. There's plenty on the Edge on the Hide, just search. I believe guys run 28-30" barrels fairly regularly with those.

Last edited:
Mr_Happyface,

7 Rem Mag and 264 Win Mag share the .532 bolt face and basic cartridge length. I have an AI AWM in 300 WM and have considered the 7 Rem Mag as my first alternate caliber choice if I go with a different caliber.

Darin

I have an AI AWSM that I had Mile High rebarrel to 7mm Rem Mag last year. I am shooting the Berger 180 Hybrids. I am very happy with it.

Nice, That's kind of what I was thinking about doing.

I'd probably just sell the .300 barrel right off the bat and buy a different caliber, 7mm Rem Mag looks pretty good but I started reading about that 7mm LRM and that looks even better.

What type of range and barrel life could I expect with that cartridge?

Nice, That's kind of what I was thinking about doing.

I'd probably just sell the .300 barrel right off the bat and buy a different caliber, 7mm Rem Mag looks pretty good but I started reading about that 7mm LRM and that looks even better.

What type of range and barrel life could I expect with that cartridge?

I bought the AWM used from a member on this board and he has another 300 WM AWM that has over 50k rounds through it and he thought a barrel would be good for over 2500 rounds, give or take. I usually don't push cartridges to the max so I hope to get more. Bought it for shooting at distances past what my 6.5 Creedmoor will do and also to shoot wild pigs at distance.

Darin