What are NRL .22 folks using for scopes?

DFOOSKING

SoDak Cat
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2009
    Iceshack Village, Buttfuck Nowhere
    The NRL has a club locator. Just type in your location and a search radius.

Addresses are supplied along the bottom.

The NRL22 has like 3 facebook groups that cover general info and match info. And there is usually local level facebook page/group for every club. 👍

☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Iowa clubs👇

Screenshot_20221005-192151_Chrome.jpg

lash

Swamp Rat
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2012
    Central Florida
    My understanding is NRL22 goes to 100yrds, not sure what you’d need much over 15x for, KYL .22” target is only shot at 50yrds as I recall

7389-D496-F6-E6-4728-9-F71-9-C16-AE1-AC427.jpg
    Many matches and venues have more than 100 yards and you will often see extra stages out to 300+ yards 18x is though, since 10-12x is the most used power for FOV advantages.
    3-4 moa is really small at 300yds and is hard to hit

AMHIK

M
    3-4 moa is plenty at 300 yards with calm or mild breezes/winds. When it gets gusty, scores tend to go down.

MCSO1357

Teaching the rookies to walk down the mountain
    Minuteman
  • Jul 9, 2008
    Iowa
    Do they have a regular NRL schedule? I'll have to look at a map and figure out where Nevada, Iowa is.
    Thanks for the info!(y)
    Nevada is approximately 1.5 hrs due west of Cedar Rapids on Hwy 30.

Reactions: sjmpcc022 and lash

6gunner

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Mar 6, 2017
    CO
    Have you had any issues with the 75yd min. parallax on that MK5? That's the only thing keeping me from buying one.
    I thought i was going to have issues. I’ve shot at targets down to 30 yards, they’re a little fuzzy but I can still hit them.

lash

Swamp Rat
    Minuteman
    Sep 28, 2012
    Central Florida
    I thought i was going to have issues. I’ve shot at targets down to 30 yards, they’re a little fuzzy but I can still hit them.
    Remember that, when shooting closer than normal parallax can be dialed, dial your power back to minimum and you’ll get better focus up close.

I was told that by someone many years ago and out has worked out well ever since.

RFutch

Yoohoo. I'll make you famous.
    Minuteman
  • Sep 28, 2010
    Georgia
    I used to use a 15x NXS with 50 yard parallax. I would dial back to 8x for the 25 yard targets and it was plenty and in focus.

sarcasmn

Private
    Banned !
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jan 22, 2008
    Georgia
    I have a B14R in a KRGBravo stock for NRL22 with an Athlon Midas Tac. I really like that scope and it keeps the rifle weight down for off hand stages.
    Now for PRSRIMFIRE I shoot a Vudoo in a KRG X-RAY stock with an Athlon Cronus Gen II. That rifle is much heavier and is a bitch off hand but great on a barricade
    I am not really a fan boy it’s just that I am 5’6” and most stocks have to long of a length of pull for me. KRG adjusts down to the 12.75 inches length of pull my short TRex arms require.
    I chose Athlon because of the price and the reticle. I checked a lot of scopes and with the LEO discount the Cronus was only 1300. That meant I got to buy groceries too.
    I have a Cronus on my 6.5 and in competition it’s not the scope that’s holding me back.
    I see a lot of Athlon Ares at my local 22 competitions.

Kahrhart63

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Nov 16, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    I think the tract toric is the best scope for money! I have the zco, Nightforce atacr, and the kahles on rimfires. The Tract isn’t far behind any of them. Only complaint is center dot a little small for my older eyes! Glass is great!!

beetroot

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Apr 10, 2018
    On a budget I think the Vortex Strike Eagle or PST Gen2 are the best value for money.
    I would say without a doubt the PST is the better option if it had a little more elevation available and capped windage, the glass is a definite improvement over the SE which in some cases helps.
    Both have good reticles, dial well, really good glass (for the price) with optical qualities that you want (good depth of field, forgiving eyebox) and both have some of the widest FOVs of any scope on the market.

If you want to jump up to the next price bracket I think the Burris XTR3 is the best option, although I've not used one yet it has the best combination of features and specs of anything in the $1000-$2000 range. Capped windage, reticle that makes sense, plenty of elevation, super wide FOV, race turret (a very cool option to have), and optical qualities that (are widely reported) to be just what you want (good enough resolution, forgivable eyebox, good depth of field, not too much CA).
    I would say the Razor Gen 2 is another good option but I prefer the idea of the Burris over the Razor due to super wide FOV.
    I'm not as keen on the Tract/Cronus/Delta Stryker (despite owning one) due to the narrow FOV.

Above $2000 all bets are off, choose a reticle that makes sense to you and make sure the scope has the features you need/like.
    If the XTR3 is in your budget then that's what I'd be doing.

NOTE: I'm a real stickler for FOV and make it one of the highest priorities when looking at optics, you may not care as much as I do.

Reactions: Tortuga and lash

BigDaddy0381

I see you too!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Nov 13, 2010
    Georgia
    element optics titan. its a great all around for the 22NRL matches.

J-Hon

Sergeant
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Nov 26, 2006
    Dry Ridge, Ky
    On a budget I think the Vortex Strike Eagle or PST Gen2 are the best value for money.

If you want to jump up to the next price bracket I think the Burris XTR3 is the best option,

NOTE: I'm a real stickler for FOV and make it one of the highest priorities when looking at optics, you may not care as much as I do.

Hugely agree with everything said in this post. Host a monthly 22 match, and ran the XTRIII 3-18 for over a year (just recently moved to the XTR Pro). I think FoV / Depth of Field / Eyebox are what really help from a competitive standpoint, and those are sorta the Burris' highlights. The Vortex scopes mentioned also are worthy of recognition.

I see more and more people shooting the Arkens, but I haven't spent enough time behind one to have a strong opinion.

adubeau

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Dec 16, 2019
    Peoples Republic Of Illinois
    Hugely agree with everything said in this post. Host a monthly 22 match, and ran the XTRIII 3-18 for over a year (just recently moved to the XTR Pro). I think FoV / Depth of Field / Eyebox are what really help from a competitive standpoint, and those are sorta the Burris' highlights. The Vortex scopes mentioned also are worthy of recognition.

I see more and more people shooting the Arkens, but I haven't spent enough time behind one to have a strong opinion.
    I have the same scope you have and it replaced an Arken sh4 GenII 6-24x50 - biggest reason for ditching it has very tight eye box, wasted too much time getting a sight picture. There are other things I had issues with not bad enough I would replace it with something else, if the eye box was like the Burris I would still be using it..

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
    Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I have the same scope you have and it replaced an Arken sh4 GenII 6-24x50 - biggest reason for ditching it has very tight eye box, wasted too much time getting a sight picture. There are other things I had issues with not bad enough I would replace it with something else, if the eye box was like the Burris I would still be using it..
    How tight is the eyebox on the SH4 and does the EP5 share the same issue? I’m looking for a replacement for my Ares BTR since I find it’s eyebox unforgiving at times but if the Arken is tight I’ll just save the coin for another piece of glass.

adubeau

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Dec 16, 2019
    Peoples Republic Of Illinois
    How tight is the eyebox on the SH4 and does the EP5 share the same issue? I’m looking for a replacement for my Ares BTR since I find it’s eyebox unforgiving at times but if the Arken is tight I’ll just save the coin for another piece of glass.
    I can't speak to the EP5 personally, but was told it was it was a little better than than the SH4.

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
    Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    Maybe I’ll risk it and see what’s up with one, worst case scenario I throw it on something else that needs glass