• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are the advantages of re barreling my 308 to 260

poposhemi

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2012
I have been considering the 260 for some time now. However locating brass seems problematic or must be resized. So I am wondering if it is really worth the change. I mostly shoot 100 or 500. There are plans for 1000 however those will be dedicated trips. Thanks

Advantage #1: Inverse math, as 260 > 308.

Seriously though, at 500 and in there isn't a HUGE advantage for the 6.5s; it exists, but really manifests itself further out.

Components are harder to find than 308, with loaded ammunition even harder to find...but one can find Lapua and Nosler/SSA 260 brass readily available at any number of places, or as you say, form from 7-08 or 243 or 308.

Reloading 260 is about the same cost as reloading 308, give or take a couple cents per round depending on the bullet chosen. If you put barrel life into the cost equation, 308 is a couple cents per round less expensive.

Last edited:
IMHO if you are under 1000 the the .308, .260 only starts to outshine the .308 past 1k.

What are the advantages of re barreling my 308 to 260

1) Flatter trajectory, 2) long billet flight before you teach transonic zone.

If you reload, the switch is a more feasible. What I mean by that is 260 availability. Can readily get 308 in match grade. If you so not reload, stock with 308.

If you shoot f-class, then you can only shoot I'm open. 308 allows you to shoot in FT/R

Barrel life is shorter in a 260 compared to a 308.

Having said all that, I'm building a 260. I prefer the ballistics in 260 over the 308 at 1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Brass is easy to find. Midway, PowderValley, etc etc all have it in stock.

The advantages are well documented, but to reiterate, you can expect less drop, less drift, less recoil, and supersonic range can be 10-30% greater (depends on bullet choice obviously). The cons are more expensive brass, slightly less barrel life, and slightly less energy at short range.

Brass is easy to find. Midway, PowderValley, etc etc all have it in stock.

The advantages are well documented, but to reiterate, you can expect less drop, less drift, less recoil, and supersonic range can be 10-30% greater (depends on bullet choice obviously). The cons are more expensive brass, slightly less barrel life, and slightly less energy at short range.

Thanks for the replys. I have had good results at 500 with 178 amax. Do you think it would be beneficial to do load development with 155gr . Or don't fix what isn't broken. Thanks again guys.

We call a 308 with fast 155's a "260 heavy" in these parts. Get them going fast enough, and they start to out-shine the 175's.

As mentioned, not a substantial advantage inside 500 yards, but the 260 pulls ahead by far at 800 and beyond.

155s in a .308 are a dream. Push them close to 3000fps and you're set. I'd stay with the .308 and load up some 155s.

How often will you realistically be going to 1000? If it becomes morefrequent than under 500 I would reconsider the switch

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

155s in a .308 are a dream. Push them close to 3000fps and you're set. I'd stay with the .308 and load up some 155s.

How often will you realistically be going to 1000? If it becomes morefrequent than under 500 I would reconsider the switch

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Time for some new reloads. Thanks again. Good shooting.

The one thing not mentioned so far is recoil. You can shoot a .260/6.5 without getting beat up as much, especially long strings of fire/range time.

Just a thought...