• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are these two rifles

dsnipe

1/4 moa all day long, if I do my part!
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2009
Rio Rancho NM
Grandfather passed away and I was given a few rifles. These two rifles I have no idea what they are let alone what caliber they are. Rifle #1 has no writing whatsoever on it. Has numbers on bolt and receiver and that's it. Relatively short rifle and seems to be in good shape. Here are pics of rifle one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    816.1 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Rifle 2 is pretty similar but has extremely long barrel and does have some writing on receiver. Here are pics of rifle 2. Thanks in advance for any insight. I know nothing about old guns.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    876.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Swedish Mausers...beautiful old world craftsmanship......designed for lower pressure loads.....design glitch... cock on closing makes them clumsy to operate

Last edited:
First looks like a Swede M38 and the other looks line an M93 both should be 6.5mm Swedish.

you chopped off the end of the barrel on the first so it's just stab in the dark.

Oh Bill there isn't much game in the world you can't take with the 6.5 ..........

Yeah sorry about that. In that pic u can see the front sight and barrel stops right there. It's a short guy. Anyhow thank you all for the info. I will throughly inspect them and clean them and see how they shoot. Thanks again everyone.

Sorry about your loss but nice rifles! Get them cleaned up and pass them along to your grandchildren with some good stories of their Great Great Grandfather.

Yeah that's my plan. I have several high end custom guns but these few guns are my prize processions now. Thanks buddy.

Swedish Mausers...beautiful old world craftsmanship......designed for lower pressure loads.....design glitch... cock on closing makes them clumsy to operate

That is not an opinion I share. Between cock-on-close and cock-on-open, I've found the former to be much faster and less clumsy. The cock-on-close is one major reason the Enfield is generally considered the best bolt action rifle of WWI and WWII. ("The Germans built a great hunting rifle, The Americans built a great target rifle. ....The British built a great battle rifle") I've read that phrase several times over. The other of course is the ten round mag.

And yes, those are Swedes. Designed for modern smokeless powders of the day. There had to be more leeway in the loads back then as the cases were larger than those of today (6.5Swede vs. 5.56 NATO), so ultimate pressure was a capper. Also, the 6.5 bullet is inherently more efficient than the .30 of similar weight and therefore did not need to be loaded any hotter than it was.

I do agree those are some of the best Mauser actioned rifles you can get.

The first rifle appears to be a Spanish Model 1916... the original caliber would be 7X57, although some were manufactured in 7.62 for the Guardia Civil.

The second rifle is a Model 1896 Swedish Mauser.

Good Day,
Dan M is correct. The first rifle is not a Swedish M38 and is indeed a Spanish Model M1916 Short Rifle. Most were manufactured at the Oviedo factory in Spain for the Spanish Army and like Dan mentioned, many were converted to use the 7.62x 51 NATO round. They typically have a polished turned down bolt, 5 round magazine, fixed side support and sling swivel. Here is an article that gives some more history and proper load selection.
https://www.gunandgame.com/attachments/gam1916_article-gif.56915/
Your rifle has a beautiful stock. Your grandfather left you a solid rifle.

Does your Swedish m/96 have what appears to be a boxed SA on the left side of the banner stamp?
Regards,
Michael

A .308 bullet should fail to completely penetrate the muzzle, a 6.5 should not.

Greg