• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What are your thoughts on this set-up?

00Buck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2007
Canada
I'm looking to get into the 22lr shooting and wondering what you think of the set-up I'm considering.

Savage Mark II BTVS with Bushnell 3200 10x scope.

CZ 452 Varmint with Bushnell 3200 10x scope.

I realize these two rifles are very close accuracy wise but what are your thoughts on th scope? I'm not sure about the no paralax adjustment and wondering if I should just go with a Tasco 2.5-10x42 instead? Anybody using the 3200 on a rimfire? How much will the lack of paralax adjustment affect the shooting inside 100yards?

Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts you may have.

Re: What are your thoughts?

I use the Bushnell 10x on my Ruger. It all depends on what kind of shooting you want to use the rifle for. If you use your rifle for plinking/varmiting, you would be better off with variable power scope. The 10x works good for 100 yards but closer than that it's not that easy to focuse on your target.

I won't buy them anymore without parralex adjustments. My favorite right now is the Nikon Buck Master 6X18 mil dot with side focus. They are bright/clear with good repeatable tracking and a lifetime warranty for $299. Regards

I'v shot both, and I have the Tasco 6-24X42 on several rifles, including a Savage MKII and a 10/22. What I consider pivotal in deciding, for a .22LR, is the Tasco's ability to focus down to 15yd. For $80, c'mon...

Greg

Re: What are your thoughts on this set-up?

thanks for the advice folks.

I should also mention that I will usually be shooting anywhere from 50 yards and up if that makes any difference.

Buckmaster variables have 50yd min. parallax adjustment. Bushnell 3200/4200 4- 6- variables focus down to 10 yds, IIRC. Weaver has good glass with 10yd+ min. (V16, V24, possibly others) parallax adjustment and one of their scopes is a rebadged Simmons (4-14X44?) which is supposed to be very good for the money (especially with the Simmons name, as opposed to Weaver). Some of the older, Japanese made Tascos were decent, and the Super Sniper has a good following, but the newer, Chinese, scopes well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 00Buck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to get into the 22lr shooting and wondering what you think of the set-up I'm considering.

Savage Mark II BTVS with Bushnell 3200 10x scope.

CZ 452 Varmint with Bushnell 3200 10x scope.

I realize these two rifles are very close accuracy wise but what are your thoughts on th scope? I'm not sure about the no paralax adjustment and wondering if I should just go with a Tasco 2.5-10x42 instead? Anybody using the 3200 on a rimfire? How much will the lack of paralax adjustment affect the shooting inside 100yards?

Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts you may have.

</div></div>

I have a CZ452 american cut at the factory to 16" and threaded 1/2unf threads. So I got the 1/2x20 to 1/2x28 tpi adapter and threade protector. I also have the Elite 3200 10x scope on my setup. For 50 yards you will be fine. The parallax does not make that much of a difference if you are silhouette shooting or just plinking. If you are benchrest competing then it will make a difference since the parallax will pull your shot around +/- 1/2" at 50 yards in all directions from your center point of aim depending on where your head is positioned on your rifle. Just don't expect the sight to focus well at 25 yards. At 50 yards its ok and then at 100 and beyond it fine. By the way I use this setup to hunt squirrels too.

Hope this helps

Gene

what type of shooting are you going to do, plinking, silhouette,target, hunting?
that would help in scope selection

1+ on Buckmaster with mil dots. It's clear and tracks. Like to have one of the new 6-18. Have older Simmons that's clear and tracks.

Evidently I got lucky because my Nikon Buckmaster is excellent at 25 yds. That is where I test ammo.

I wouldn't spend money on a scope for a .22 that wont adjust for parallax down to about 20 yds. It makes a big difference with the higher power scopes, (which are fun with a .22 because you can see your shot hit either varmint or paper.)
My low dollar scope of choice is the Bushnell Legend 5-15 mil dot.
SScott

My recommendation is the Savage, then, the savings over the CZ should be spent on the scope. I think the WOTAC's are great for the money, side parallax focus, and they'll focus in close, definately inside 25y, glass is clear, and the newest ones have 2 settings on the focus ring to mark the reticule increments in Mils or MOA. I'm thinking of selling my gen 2 for the new gen 3!

Branden

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jp_colt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you going to do, plinking, silhouette,target, hunting?
that would help in scope selection </div></div>

Mainly for target shooting from 50 yards up to about 200 if possible. I won't be using it for hunting much.

Thanks for all the help folks, keep it coming!