• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What are your thoughts...

ponchair

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2007
Tempe, AZ
I just built an AR-10, did some load development this weekend. Very happy with the results, 1/2 inch groups @ 100. Couldn't be more impressed. I just have a little bit of a problem. I shot in a competition yesterday, 350 yards, 5 stages of 5 rounds, 25 rounds total. 4 out of the 5 stages, my first shot was a flyer at 11 o'clock, about 8 inches high and 8 inches to the left. The rest of my shots grouped within 3 inches or so at center mass. Basically I had 21 rounds center mass, and 4 rounds at 11 0'clock.

Am I seeing the typical shooter error here?

Re: What are your thoughts...

Yes sir all 4 flyers were within an inch and a half and the first shot of the stage.

The first shot is from a locked open bolt stripping a round off the mag, right?

Some weird loose scope issue that happens when you carry the gun around, but after the first shot it goes to a stable position when the recoil happens?

I've heard of the first shotout of a magazine having a slightly different POI due to the feed cycle from a locked open bolt being different than from a full cycle/post shot stroke- but that is more than I would expect.

Could the bullet be forced back into the case, or getting knocked around a bit on the 1st round loading stroke.

Put some rounds in the mag and the mag in the gun with the bolt locked back. Drop the bolt, extract the round. Drop the bolt again- shot this round and after the gun cycles, extract the round. Compare the rounds, are there any differences? Might have to do it a few times to see if there is a general difference.

You never saw anything in your load development?

I did not see any indications of bullets being pushed back when I did load developments. Very good thought, I was considering that as well.

I imagine it's more me than anything. I will have to go back out and do the exact same thing. And see if maybe i was just jerking or not following through correctly.

Had this problem with my Rock River LAR-8 the first shot of a 5 round group would be high and slightly to the right. 4 shots in .6" and the first out about 1" from that group.

I would load the mag use the mag release and start shooting. Bam forst shot high next 4 in a cluster.

I discovered that if I pull the charging handle fully to the rear release the bolt on the first round amazingly all 5 shots in a nice cluster. .400-.550"

This process solved my problem

Bouncy, bouncy. . . . . I'm sorry what was the question?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock1985</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bouncy, bouncy. . . . . I'm sorry what was the question? </div></div>

LMAO...
cool.gif

When this happens to me, its me.
Its me whether the cause is a scruffy feed ramp, chamber, or bolt face that needs polished, mag lips that need adjustment, or neck tension thats too light for a big chassis AR bcg kinetic energy. The problem is still me if the trigger sucks, or doesn't suck and I just can't shoot the freakn gun, or I'm shooting my cheap buddy's Lr-308 that he's scoped with $100.00 optics that perform like $100.00 optics.
My big chassis is taking some practice to learn to shoot as well as my bolt gun. Thats still me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag for the avatar! </div></div>

Shay Laren... id actually pay to watch her get dressed