• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What backpack/equipment do you use?

broberson

Private
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Austin, TX
I'm a newbie to the forum and to precision shooting. I'm looking to purchase a backpack for competitions and I'm curious what everyone uses for a pack and what equipment you carry with you during the event. My neighbor and mentor carries a 3 day assault BVS from Mystery Ranch, but it's hella expensive. I was looking to stay around $150-200 if possible. He also says he packs rain gear and a change of clothes. Any advice on what you've found useful is appreciated. Nice to be here.

Eberlestock has some options for you. May have to pay a little more money but will last you a lifetime. I love mine of 10 years very well made

Eberlestock has some options for you. May have to pay a little more money but will last you a lifetime. I love mine of 10 years very well made

10 years says a lot. I like their options, I'll keep them in mind. Haven't quite made up my mind yet. What do you pack with you at competitions?

Reactions: ballistic1
I built one using a molle vest with their Tactical weapons carrier on the back very comfortable. The vest you can set up any way you want. I added a small
Molle back onto the carrier. I can fit any thing I need for the day. If you can find the camelbak delta tactical vest eBay that what I use. You can pick one up for less than $120. Best part about the vest it can carry 102oz of water on hot summer days.

Last edited:
Reactions: broberson
Don't get too hung up on packs, Eberlestock packs are popular, I've used three of them over the years, in addition to Eagle 3 day packs, Camelback packs, even an old ALICE pack. The key thing is that it doesn't have to be huge because chances are you're going to want to fill that thing up. About 2,000 cubic inches is ideal for me since it's enough room to fit the gear I want with some extra room left over for snivel or rain gear. Side compression straps are nice since it allows you to strap tripods or other gear to the side. This is one thing I hate about my Eberlestock Gunslinger II, too many freaking straps but the internal organization is amazing so I keep it around.

As a baseline I pack the following

Mags
Ammo
TAB Rear Bag
Armageddon Gear Game Changer
Armageddon Gear Fat Bag
Homemade dope older
Painter's tape (rolled around 1/2" PVS pipe with cord run through and taped to Sharpie)
Sharpie
Kestrel 5700
Leica LRF
First Aid Kit
Multitool
Otis Cleaning Kit
Armageddon Gear sling
Knee pad
Sunscreen
Ear pro
Eye pro

Optional/Match Dependent (This stuff will usually ride in the vehicle)

Tripod
Shooting Saddle
QD Tripod Mount
Convenience Bag (2 one gallon zip locks, Dry Hands, foamy ear plugs, zip ties, duct tape, 10' 550 cord, hand wipes)

I only pack wet weather gear if it's calling for rain or if it looks like it's going to be muddy and I remember to pack them. I don't typically pack extra clothes but I have taken extra clothes but kept them in the vehicle for later, extra shoes too. Food, water, snacks that stuff is up to you, generally I'll take a couple bottles of water and some Clif bars and do ok for the whole day.

Similar list for me. I have used Eberlestock packs and think that they are way too heavy. I currently use a Kifaru Spike Camp and love it.
That said, Im considering going back to a modular SAR pack that I've used for days at a time. It's the most comfortable pack I've ever worn.
Price is right too. I can exchange modules for different times of the year and desired volume.
http://www.coaxsher.com/Wildland-Fire-Pack-p/fs102.htm

Similar list to what's listed above. I've been using an Eberlesrock Gunslinger 2 which is perfect size wise. Everything fits well and not enough room for extra i don't need

That being said. I'm switching to an operator to try. Not because of the extra size. I'm not going to carry any more. But the way the pockets are laid out I can get in and out easier without digging around. Ammo bottom by itself. Top has support bags. Outside pockets tripod in one on side. Electronics in another outside pocket. Mags and stuff in another. Brass in it's own. Wallet and keys and phone in another.

I'm 6' 230#. Done enough that I don't mind carrying a little more weight in a bigger pack of it's more convenient. It's not like I'm shooting Mammoth every weekend...not a far wall from truck to firing lines

You don't have to spend a ton of money or have a big pack with a ton of stuff. My match backpack is a 5.11 Rush 12. Holds everything I need for a match, whether one day or two day. My match loadout is pretty similar to Trigger Monkey's and fits fine.

TAD Gear Fast Pack Litespeed
-Ammo (~120rds for a big match)
-Spare 10rd & 5rd Mag
-Leica LRF Binos
-Kestrel 5700 AB
-Sunblock
-Clif Bar
-Meds (Excedrin, Ibuprofen, Imodium)
-Spare Batteries for Kestrel, LRF, Earpro
-Wiebad Tac Pack
-Warhorse Saracen Bag
-Tripod
-Rifle & Sling

Reactions: J.Boney and tnc
Same as above. Tried 2 different Eberlestock before settling on the Tad Gear. Both of the Eberlestock were way too big and heavy

Lots of lightly used high end packs in the PX section here.

Keep your eyes peeled and you may be able to get a mystery ranch or Estock that someone just decided they didn't like the color on or what not at a pretty good discount.