• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report What Ballistic Progam?

Re: What Ballistic Program?

It all sounds good, we need to take all this programs to the
field. JBM, Exbal, Ballistic Explorer, LoadBase and many other
have about the same number on drop tables up to and around 800
yards; once you get to around 1200 number start changing on all
of them but when I follow LoadBase 3.0 calculations is when I get
closer; and not to mention the fact that LoadBase is designed to
give you accurate drops even after the bullet has gone from super sonic to subsonic. Which I have not tested since the farthest I have shot my RUM IS 1800 yards at rocks and I refuse to use another ballistic program. Just my experience. I have probably owned and tested more ballistic applications than most and my choice goes for LoadBase 3.0 If you're happy with JBM or any other application, please don't let me ruin your day, be happy, I'm just expressing my experience. I just enjoy a powerful ballistic application that I trust and is right next to me in the heat and in the cold.
Good Day!

Re: What Ballistic Progam?

Quoted by Lindy

" The test of the validity of a computer model is whether it produces predictions which match real-world results.

My approach to accurate long-range predictions with a ballistic programs is to "tune" the program output to match my actual field shooting data at the longest range I can reliably reach with a given cartridge. "

+1
and as usual, explained very well and true !!!!!!

Lindy, You are correct about this. Read your write-up. But a Hand held device is a tool that can be used. I recently shot a match where the elevation was at 5000 altitude. I had my gun sited in at 1700 altitude. I used the Krestel and my program to figure where the first round would hit at 1000 yards. It wasn't exactly perfect but it gave me a faster second round shot to get closer.

I think most of the shooting at 600yds and under the program would not help. But shooting at 900yds and above. It gives you data on temp.alt. and variables. Field data is the best. 1st round hits at 1000 yards with no sighters is a hard thing to do for 80 percent of the people. Most people walk there shots to the middle.

I realize you are far more in tune with this than I. Maybe my thinking isn't correct. And maybe we are saying the same thing.

dar: I think we are on the same page.

I carry a PDA with ballistic programs in the field. However, those programs have been checked against long-range field data, and adjusted as necessary to produce the same predictions as the field data.

A program like that is very valuable when you have to go shoot in a substantially different environment than the one where you have gathered your field data.

I also carry a Density Altitude ballistic table as a backup, in case the PDA ceases to function.

Lindy,
I read once where you talked about the Density Altitude ballistic table. That is a good idea. Electronics do go down and a backup is being better prepared.

Angles are easy. Take whatever the dope is which your DA card tells you for the actual range to the target, and multiply that by the cosine of the angle to the target.

And the Mildot Master will do that for you, too, as well as measuring the angle.

I have 2 of the Mildot Master cards. I have been teaching my boy on mildots and range estimations. I think this is a good tool to learn at an early age. He is 14, sometimes have him shoot on 3 power to show him, it isn't the power magnification of the scope that makes a hit it is the shooter.

I just started with that. He has a problem with just use your range finder. Doesn't understand that you cannot rely electronics.