• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What barrel contours are you using?

triceratops3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2010
Northern VA
I was looking at rebarreling my savage and I have no clue what barrel contour to get.

I'm looking to make a target rifle. I will be using it on the bench most of the time but also hopefully I'll get to shoot a few competitions at thunder valley. I was looking for a barrel around 24-26" for and was looking at kreiger barrels, but not set on a manufacturer yet.

I don't know how much barrel will be too much. Like I think a heavier barrel such as an MTU would be nice for extended shooting sessions but will it be way too much barrel and way too heavy? (even though I wont be lugging it through any mountains) Maybe a light varmint or standard palma would be nice.

What are you guys using and what would you recommend?

If you would like any more info to make a more educated suggestion just ask. Thanks.

Re: What barrel contours are you using?

Medium palma seems to be very popular around here for what you're considering. I have an MTU from Krieger, and it's just thicker than is needed.

If you wish to retain the Savage barrel nut, then something like a MTU contour is out of the question - the chamber end is much too large in diameter. You'll need to stay at 1.06" at the chamber for the small-shank receivers. If you ditch the nut, then you can bring the chamber diameter all the way out to the receiver diameter if that's what you wish.

My Savage rifles wear Shilen varmint contours - the aforementioned chamber dimension, tapering to 0.800" at the muzzle. It seems like a pretty good compromise.

A lot of barrel companies make pre-fiitted Savage barrels. They usually come in a sporter, heavy sporter, varmint, or bull contour.

I barreled my 1st Savage with a bull contour (similar to MTU) and I regretted it. Made the gun heavy and hard to use in different positions.

I'm putting a varmint contour (similar a standard palma contour) to a on my new build.

I'd recommend getting a Criterion barrel (CBI). They're the button rifling division of Krieger. Contact Jim (NSS) on savageshooters forum. He's really great to deal with, and these barrel very good and very affordable.

Jay

thanks for the feed back so far guys. and rob i was looking through some custom google results and found the thread you gave the link to but it didn't work, not sure why though. Thanks.

300 WM target rifle.....Kreiger #9 Heavy Target billed to me a #9 MTU

308 Win. target rifle.....Bartlein #7 MTU
260 Rem. target rifle.....Bartlein #7 MTU

The Kreiger #9 Target and Bartlein #7 Target are fairly similar in diameter and contour.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/Contours-c1246-wp3382.htm

http://bartleinbarrels.com/contours.htm

I perfer heavy barrels and overall heavy rifles for long range target shooting. Weight is my friend for these kind of rifles and I have no problem toting a heavy rifle around.

mine is this many...

4279365319_651cb80e6e_b.jpg

thats a #7 savage contour, looks like this

6159140100_8f31969082_b.jpg

Bench gun??

I really like the look of that savage you got Axeman.

Yes it will primarily be a bench gun.

Here's my 2 Savage's
First is a Shilen barrel. Small shank bull contour @ 28"
Second is a Douglas barrel. Large shank varmint contour @ 26"
DSCN0045.jpg

Untitled_Panorama2-1.jpg

Check out the barrel I have on my new GAP .308. It is an Obermeyer AMU Plus, 1:11 twist, Stainless Steel, 5R barrel without any fluting. The barrel is 1.25" at the breech end. It remains 1.25" for about 3 inches then tapers 0.007" per inch. I got a 25 inch barrel, finished length on the rifle is 23 inches. The rifle shoots like a laser but it was also assembled by G.A. Precision.
DSCN1137.jpg

I like med. Palma but had good luck with #7. I'm running a MTU right now. The thing is a chunk and makes the rifle heavy but it’s manageable.

.308 Win Bartlein #7 MTU.
18.5'' from action face

1.25'' at the base - tapers to 1'' at the muzzle

Another vote for medium Palma. If you want lighter...then light palma...

Only way to fly

My GAP build (due in 1-2 months) will have a modified MTU contour - 1.25" at breech for 5" and then tapers to 1" at 30". I was not concerned with weight as it is on a 338LM and won't be carried far.

MTU and AMU are both the perfect stiffness and weight for me. My latest is a mtu which is not overly heavy.

Gladius contour, basically a Remington Varmint/PSS contour but .900 at the muzzle instead of .860
P1020481.jpg

Have a 300wsm with a Kreiger #10 MTU being built and a Rem 260 with a Kreiger #17 Heavy Varmint in the holding pattern.

Several with AMU/MTU contours, and fluted to reduce the weight a little. Got a new build coming with an unfluted medium palma 26", will see how that does.

26" MTU contour...will probably go with a #7 or Medium Palma contour next time around

1.25" no taper on my Badger/Beanland and heavy varmint on my Stolle/Dowling. Both manageable offhand with 18" barrels. My next barrel will be a med varmint.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at rebarreling my savage and I have no clue what barrel contour to get.

I'm looking to make a target rifle. I will be using it on the bench most of the time but also hopefully I'll get to shoot a few competitions at thunder valley. I was looking for a barrel around 24-26" for and was looking at kreiger barrels, but not set on a manufacturer yet.

I don't know how much barrel will be too much. Like I think a heavier barrel such as an MTU would be nice for extended shooting sessions but will it be way too much barrel and way too heavy? (even though I wont be lugging it through any mountains) Maybe a light varmint or standard palma would be nice.

If you would like any more info to make a more educated suggestion just ask. Thanks.
</div></div>

For my bolt rifles I use a "cannon" style contour. No one offers this contour that I know of you would have to have it turned from a blank. What caliber are you using?
Lee

This was a Light Varmint from Shilen
IMG_5494.jpg

Now I have a Heavy Varmint from Hart.
I like both, but the LV is lighter for sure.
fskvw.jpg

Reactions: javy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lee S. Forsberg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at rebarreling my savage and I have no clue what barrel contour to get.

</div></div>

For my bolt rifles I use a "cannon" style contour. No one offers this contour that I know of you would have to have it turned from a blank. What caliber are you using?
Lee </div></div>

I think I decided I'm going to rebarrel to 6.5 creedmoor.

And I was looking around and I found Northland Shooter Supply has Shilen Stainless Steel Select Match barrel for around $350 and I'm looking at getting the one they have that is 6.5 Creedmoor bull barrel contour thats 28" long.