• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What barrel for 6mm creed

smokinbobf4

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
I am currently acquiring parts for my first diy build. I have a mpa acc chassis and tt special trigger on the way. Big horn origin in hand. What is a a good Prefit barrel that won’t brake the bank and doesn’t have a big lead time? I am new to choosing my own barrel so a bit of help would be appreciated. Also I am thinking medium or heavy palma but not really set on that. Gun is for shooting steel and maybe some prairie dogs on occasion so weight is not a concern. Thanks!

funny, i was just going to ask the same thing for an ar10 build...

Depends... do you want Button, or cut?

Keystone Accuracy can do a Green Mountain Barrel ( button ) for $400-ish... or a Kreiger Cut rifle for $600-ish.
Johns turn around is FAST!

StraightJacket does my Proof barrels for $599. Shouldered, chambered, threaded, shipped.... but it takes 6-8 weeks.

LRI is a great option, as well.

Bartlein, Krieger, Proof, Brux, Hawk Hill...etc... close your eyes, point to a name and go. They will all shoot.

I don’t know a ton about cut vs button, but seems to be most people say they hold the same accuracy

Depends... do you want Button, or cut?

Keystone Accuracy can do a Green Mountain Barrel ( button ) for $400-ish... or a Kreiger Cut rifle for $600-ish.
Johns turn around is FAST!

StraightJacket does my Proof barrels for $599. Shouldered, chambered, threaded, shipped.... but it takes 6-8 weeks.

LRI is a great option, as well.

Bartlein, Krieger, Proof, Brux, Hawk Hill...etc... close your eyes, point to a name and go. They will all shoot.

What does a button barrel mean?

Altus recently started carrying Proof pre-fit barrels for Bighorn actions. They have a Proof Research Comp contour, cut rifle, 26", 6 mm Creedmoor in stock for $479. (at the time of this posting)

Altus Origin Link

Buy it today, have it in hand by the weekend. Don't think anyone can beat that price or delivery time.

Reactions: reubenski
I am currently acquiring parts for my first diy build. I have a mpa acc chassis and tt special trigger on the way. Big horn origin in hand. What is a a good Prefit barrel that won’t brake the bank and doesn’t have a big lead time? I am new to choosing my own barrel so a bit of help would be appreciated. Also I am thinking medium or heavy palma but not really set on that. Gun is for shooting steel and maybe some prairie dogs on occasion so weight is not a concern. Thanks!
I'd recommend a Criterion, I have one in 6 Creed and it's shooting 1/4" groups at 200.
I think it's a heavy Palma

Northland shooters supply. The offer Shilen and Criterion prefits. Both will shoot very well. And you can’t beat their customer service

Bartlein, krieger, hawk hill, rock creek, any single point cut barrel will shoot well. Call mile high and talk to Fritz he will spin you up a hammer for that origin action.

Northland shooters supply. The offer Shilen and Criterion prefits. Both will shoot very well. And you can’t beat their customer service
I’ve had three Shilen’s from them.
Great barrels and great service.

Recently I got a cut Brux from Keystone.
Great barrel and great service but the difference in machine work was noticeable and cost substantially more.

I’ll definitely buy more cut and button barrels.

From the sounds of it you can’t really go wrong with any of the main brands. I really wanted to go Bartlein but they seem to be a bit more than I would like to spend.

Altus recently started carrying Proof pre-fit barrels for Bighorn actions. They have a Proof Research Comp contour, cut rifle, 26", 6 mm Creedmoor in stock for $479. (at the time of this posting)

Altus Origin Link

Buy it today, have it in hand by the weekend. Don't think anyone can beat that price or delivery time.

like I said I don’t know a ton about barrels, but all I hear about proof is their light weight carbon barrels. I assume there steel barrels are good also just don’t hear of them as much as others. Seems like a good price however.

like I said I don’t know a ton about barrels, but all I hear about proof is their light weight carbon barrels. I assume there steel barrels are good also just don’t hear of them as much as others. Seems like a good price however.
Proof steel barrels are GTG.

Their SS barrels are superb. Cut rifled, hand lapped, and top quality machining. They're among the highest quality barrels you can buy.

Reactions: nrspence

Altus Origin Link

Proof barrels and their prefits are awesome. My Savage prefit on a Nucleus in 6 cm is my match rifle.
20191127_081836.jpg