• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What base and rings?

novakorp

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
Hey guys...Please help the newbie...

I bought a Rem 700 SPS in 308, hogue rubber stock, 20 inch barrel...I have scores of shotguns, semi rifles and handguns but this is my first bolt gun. Questions about this rifle...

1. Is it a long or short action? I think short but I dont know how to tell.
2.Best base and rings? I was thinking of leupold 1 piece w/leupold rings but please advise.
3. What MOA for a base? Rifle will be used out to about 5-600 yards given my current skill level probably with a Leupold or similarly priced scope w/ Mildot Rec..
I ran a search on all of these topics but couldnt find exactly what I was looking for...any ideas?

Re: What base and rings?

1. Short Action
2. Subjective... Ive used EGW to Badger...Leupold are GTG
3. Almost any scope will get you to 600 with a 0moa base... 20 is better(better to have and not need, than to needand not have) Leupolds have plenty of travel.

YMMV,
Julian

1) It is a short action
2) This depends on who you ask. Seekins, Badger, TPS, and Near all make good products.
3)This depends on your scope. But truth be told out to 600 yards you shouldn't NEED a canted base.

a .308 would make it a short action. What is your price range for the base and the rings? And what is your price range for the scope?

Agree with J above. You sound like my brother, a shotgun guy.

Appreciate the honesty with your questions. Welcome. There is a wide and varied crowd here, and with a location hint, probably some members near enough to help more.

Thanks for the info guys...Yes, I am truly a newbie when it comes to bolt guns and long range shooting. I wouldnt consider myself a shotgun guy per say. Most of my collection consists of a little bit of everything....several shotguns and several self built and purchased AR's, M-1's, Glocks and S&W pistols and revolvers...I just have a love of firearms and have had since I was very young (Im 33). I have complete respect for someone who can hit their target out to 1000 yards or meters, but I have no practical use for this distance of shooting in my area (Central Iowa). I would prefer to focus on the 5-600 yard mark as this is where I do most of my shooting. I think I will go with the 20 MOA base just in case I do decide to take it out further. As for what I can afford....One thing I took from reading alot on this site is "buy what I can afford and shoot the piss out of it"...I have spent about $550 on the rifle...base and rings I can spend a couple of hundred....for the scope I plan on staying around a grand or under.. I have had good luck with Leupold stuff....any opinions on Leupold? I know its not as high end as some of the stuff you guys carry, but I think it would be best for me to stay in the realm of affordable equipment until my skill level improves.

I would say just buy Seekins base and rings, they are one of the best, right next to Badger Ordnance I believe. If I were you, I would wait for a Vortex Viper PST thats coming out in a couple months. Vortex is known for their customer service and good scopes for the best prices. Many people have liked Leupold but lately they have been getting some crap for their scopes. I have a Vortex Viper 4-12x40 that I love and it serves me well. Although I do like this scope, I think im going to sell it to replace it with the new Vortex Viper PST.

FWIW- I've got NEAR MFG bases and rings on several of my rifles (from rems to weatherby's) and it allows me the ability to switch glass from gun to gun with good repeatability.
And Richard's a great guy to do business with-