• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

what base rifle for a beginner?

drifter000

Private
Minuteman
Aug 30, 2011
Kentucky
I am just getting into rifle shooting for the first time in about 6 years. When i started out i had a mossberg 100atr 30-06. I am looking to buy a resonably priced rifle, that has the capability to be optimized down the road for reliable long range shooting. I am going with 30-06, because i am going to get into hunting. I would like to have one rifle that i can use here in ky for anything from White tail deer to ky elk and black bear. So, 30-06 looks good to me. I have been looking at the remington 700's, savage,ruger and the mossberg 100 atr. In everyones opinion, what would be a good economical rifle to start with? (under $1000)Thanks for any input.

Re: what base rifle for a beginner?

700 5R in 300win mag would work great. I know you said 30-06 but thought I would throw it out there.

I just recently bought a Savage 10FP in .308 for about $650.00. It is a very basic bolt rifle, but is made well. Very accurate for a rifle at that price, too.
Only complaint is that it is a little more difficult to find accessories for it compared to a Rem 700.

The kicker is the "bear" word... Rem 700 in .300 Mag sounds about right and leaves you a ton of options for upgraded, barrels, trigger, stocks, etc...

I'd recommend either a Remington or Savage that you can start out at a very resonable price. The Remington makes the 5R that gives exceptional accuracy for a factory rifle, or the Savage 10FP. There are plenty of aftermarket Savage products and can be cheaper than Remington products. If you get a Savage rifle and Vortex optic you can be near a $1000 or under if you buy used. Search the for sale section on here for rifles and optics. That can safe you a lot of money by purchasing a used rifle/optic. Use this search function to help refine your searches:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

Have you considered the 300 win mag over the 30-06? 300 win mag in the remmy sendero or 5R would be great choices. depends on how you handle recoil...it doesn't bother me at all and i have shot both a lot and they are great factory guns! since your looking for under $1,000 range you would have to look for a used one that would be the only downside. I would consider the 300 win mag becuase it will easily meet your hunting requirements and is also a great long range rig!

Good luck.

30-06 is a long action cartrage, not favored for practice of any volume. A short action cartridge, such as .308 in 1 in 10 twist barrel will support hunting ammo for any of the game mentioned and be a little better suited to high volume practice. Savage 110 and rem 700 action rifles are common starting points with opinions often favoring savage for initial quality/precision and rem for best platform for modifications. More important than the final choice of cartridge/rifle would be getting some fundamental rifle instruction and doing a lot of practicing with a 22 to build and then maintain skills. The savings over centerfire ammo allow a lot more practice.

For4 one thing, I am reasonbly certain he is talking black bear, not grizzly.

Not considering the fact that the Inuits use .22-250's and have been known to use the .22 hornet to take polar bears, the 30'06 is a fine choice.

Black bears are taken with handguns all the time.

Now, the bad news, no one makes a 30'06 meeting all of your requirements.
HOWEVER, you can get in touch with Savage and see if they will put a long range hunter together for you in 30'06, they do offer it in 25'06, they may be able to put a heavy '06 barrel on it for you.

The good news is that they offer the .300 WSM in the short action model 11 long range hunter. I think this will meet your immediate needs just fine, it is an excellent long range cartridge but it is a barrel burner.
Luckily, you can buy the tools and rebarrel it yourself, and if you handload, you can duplicate .308 loads for deer and '06 loads for elk and bear. will save a bit of barrel life.

Go with the .30-06. Get the 116 Stainless weather warrior. if you can find a used one, so much the better. Later...good aftermarket barrel, Rifle Basic trigger, then upgrade stock. You are there. JMHO

is there a big price difference in rounds between .300 wsm and 30-06? The recoil issues dont bother me much, i am used to shooting a 12 ga single shot that will rip your arm off lol

The kick on the 300's isn't as bad as some say. If you need you could always install a muzzle brake down the road.

What about Tikka T3? I've been eyeballing those at my local shop. A friend has one that he uses for hunting and likes it alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRB45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What about Tikka T3? I've been eyeballing those at my local shop. A friend has one that he uses for hunting and likes it alot. </div></div>

There is a lot to like about the T3's - accurate right out of the box, detachable mags, great triggers and now a fair amount of aftermarket add on's and replacements. Having said that I like Rem 700's too but the T3 is definitely worth considering.

My vote goes for the .308 SPS tactical or AAC version. You'll be just fine shooting 178g amax's. You'll want to upgrade the stock over time and maybe a few other items. However for $550-$600 it's hard to beat.

drifter when you say long range shooting do you mean taking long range hunting shots or long range precision shooting?

If it's for hunting I would go with the 30-06, 300WSM or 300WM, 7mmRM, 7WSM (or any other good hunting cartridge). Tikka, Savage, Remington all make nice rifles. A sporter/pencil barrel is not optimal for target shooting as it gets hot faster (3-4 shots) and will start to throw fliers so you'll have to wait longer between threads. A heavier/longer barrel will be better for target shooting but be not be optimal if you plan to do any distance walking with your rig. I'll also throw out that the Saavge Stevens 200 rifle for about $300 are a very good value and the factory barrels shoot surprisingly good. The barrel nut on the Savage allows you to switch barrels out with a few inexpensive tools to jump caliber and barrel size/shape as long as the bolt-head is the same size. Welcome back!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">drifter when you say long range shooting do you mean taking long range hunting shots or long range precision shooting? </div></div>
I am going to hunt with it,and may have to take a few long distance shots. But, more than likely, most of the shooting will be at targets, since gun season here in ky isnt very long. I was looking to find something that is a happy medium between the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it's for hunting I would go with the 30-06, 300WSM or 300WM, 7mmRM, 7WSM (or any other good hunting cartridge). Tikka, Savage, Remington all make nice rifles. A sporter/pencil barrel is not optimal for target shooting as it gets hot faster (3-4 shots) and will start to throw fliers so you'll have to wait longer between threads. A heavier/longer barrel will be better for target shooting but be not be optimal if you plan to do any distance walking with your rig. I'll also throw out that the Saavge Stevens 200 rifle for about $300 are a very good value and the factory barrels shoot surprisingly good. The barrel nut on the Savage allows you to switch barrels out with a few inexpensive tools to jump caliber and barrel size/shape as long as the bolt-head is the same size. Welcome back! </div></div>
Never thought about the ability to change barrels to use different rounds. Interesting. Thanks for the input.

there are many different guns you could go with but a important question is whats your budget

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">30-06 is a long action cartrage, not favored for practice of any volume. A short action cartridge, such as .308 in 1 in 10 twist barrel will support hunting ammo for any of the game mentioned and be a little better suited to high volume practice.</span> Savage 110 and rem 700 action rifles are common starting points with opinions often favoring savage for initial quality/precision and rem for best platform for modifications. More important than the final choice of cartridge/rifle would be getting some fundamental rifle instruction and doing a lot of practicing with a 22 to build and then maintain skills. The savings over centerfire ammo allow a lot more practice. </div></div>

George could you elaborate on this statement in red? I fail to see your logic here.
Not above being educated.

OP your choice of 30-06 is fine for anything that walks on legs in KY. Model 700 Remington would be my pick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are many different guns you could go with but a important question is whats your budget </div></div>
I need to keep the rifle and scope less than $1000. I can upgrade the stock and other items as time goes by. I just want to start out with a strong reliable platform.I think i may be leaning towards the rem 700. A little more expensive, but i think there are endless possibilities to upgrade this rifle from what i have seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

OP your choice of 30-06 is fine for anything that walks on legs in KY. Model 700 Remington would be my pick.</div></div>
I have shot the 30-06 before and while it kicks a little bit, it had enough umph to do damn near anything i want to do with it. I think i am leaning twards the 700 rem as well.

Since your looking at the 700, browse their website and find a suitable rifle for your needs http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/bolt-action-model-700.aspx Keep in mind that actual dealer prices are usually less than these suggested prices shown on manufacturers websites. My advise is to buy a rifle for what you need it for now, and then in the future, build or purchase something more suited for precision/target shooting if that's what you want to get into. Due to the weight, stock design, light trigger pull, ect, precision rifles aren't always the best tools as hunting rifles. You may be surprised and find the hunting rifle you pick is capable of the accuracy you need for your target shooting.

I am new to the rifle (non AR) platform and there is a learning curve. I am running a Remington SPS Tactical .308 with a 20" barrel and a Bell & Carlson J hook stock. It is a great gun for the money and shoots very well. I put a Super Sniper 3-9X42 mil dot on it and it rocks. However, I have been bitten by the bug and I want more and now daydream about a Sako TRG-22.... Ah

http://snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2755671#Post2755671

This rifle started life as my late father's 700BDL I purchased for his 56th birthday. He killed numerous coastal plains whitetails with this rifle never using more than one shot. Those that ran could be tracked by a blind man. It was a consistant 1minute rifle with the cheapest ammo of the day, Winchester 150gr Power Points.
If you later have it built as I have done the 30-06 is no slouch and gives no quarter in accuracy to any other 30 caliber providing it is built by a competent smith and has a proper match chamber. I do admit my choice was a tip of the hat to the old man.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For4 one thing, I am reasonbly certain he is talking black bear, not grizzly.

Not considering the fact that the Inuits use .22-250's and have been known to use the .22 hornet to take polar bears, the 30'06 is a fine choice.

Black bears are taken with handguns all the time.

Now, the bad news, no one makes a 30'06 meeting all of your requirements.
HOWEVER, you can get in touch with Savage and see if they will put a long range hunter together for you in 30'06, they do offer it in 25'06, they may be able to put a heavy '06 barrel on it for you.

The good news is that they offer the .300 WSM in the short action model 11 long range hunter. I think this will meet your immediate needs just fine, it is an excellent long range cartridge but it is a barrel burner.
Luckily, you can buy the tools and rebarrel it yourself, and if you handload, you can duplicate .308 loads for deer and '06 loads for elk and bear. will save a bit of barrel life. </div></div>

Call Effie at Savage Customer Service to order a custom assembly from existing pats inventory to meet your requirements if you decide to go Savage. BTW, my Savage 116 FHSAK in .30-06 consistently produces 0.6" 3-shot groups at 100 yds using IMR 4064 and Hornady 168gr A-MAX bullets, which are suitable for deer. I'd choose another bullet for black bear (PS-there are no griz's in Kentucky)...possibly Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition or the like.

A long action rifle is fine if you prefer...and 6.5x284 Norma, a very good long distance round does well in a long action...and IIRC, the head of the .294 case is rebated and works well in a .30-06 bolt face.

I prefer .308 Win for target work but have two bolt action .30-06s that may someday get re-barreled into other things more suitable for LR target use. One of my .308s may become a .260 or .284.

I have had excellent results with 3 Rem 700s a Savage 116 and a Win M70 Extreme Weather. I can recommend all three for a noob,,,and I'm kind of a noon at long range shooting myself, even though I've been shooting for 57 years (since I was 8).

FH

Good luck

hmmmm.... Given what I think you are asking, I would go with a Remington 700 in 30.06. Of course I also like vanilla ice cream. Seriously though, asking this type of question is always problematic as everyone here has different experiences and likes/dislikes. And, there is more than one right answer.

So, let me break down my reasoning a bit. Are there "better" options? Of course, but you've asked for the "one rifle" soltution. You stated you are set on 30.06. Great, for hunting, it'll get the job done on anything you mentioned, and it is a LA which gives you future flexibility. Why the Remington 700? Because they are like the small block 350 of rifle actions. Everyone everywhere makes something for it so you have great flexibility for future upgrades and it is well beyond proven. Finding a 'smith is a piece of cake and you can customize as your desire requires and your wallet permits.

Want 6.5-.284 on the same action? Easy. Want a .308? Done. Some branches of the military have done .308 on a long action for years. Feel like a .270? OK. Caliber modification options are too many to list.

Want an aftermarket trigger or stock? Take your pick. Everybody makes one (pretty much). Want to be able to sell it at some point? Guaranteed sale. Is it high end and super sexy or tacticool? Not really, but will it shoot? Most likely. If it doesn't, there are any number of gunsmiths who can make her sing for you.

Just my $0.02. YMMV. Listen to those who post as there are many here who know whereof they speak. Of course in the end, you'll be the one writing the check.

i just got a savage 10 5r i think its wonderful, i personal dont like the stock but its awesome, going to buy a rem 700r sps ill let you know

tikka t3. in my experience,so clearly supperior to every other mass produced rifle it's not woth discussing. triggers are great and don't require tweaking in my experience. rings can be a problem. they usually come with a set,but you never know if they will be med or lows. mounting options are available,however. my 6.5x55 often scares me because the groups i usually get are way better than my skill level produces in other guns. hunting versions in 30/06 well under 1K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">30-06 is a long action cartrage, not favored for practice of any volume. A short action cartridge, such as .308 in 1 in 10 twist barrel will support hunting ammo for any of the game mentioned and be a little better suited to high volume practice.</span> Savage 110 and rem 700 action rifles are common starting points with opinions often favoring savage for initial quality/precision and rem for best platform for modifications. More important than the final choice of cartridge/rifle would be getting some fundamental rifle instruction and doing a lot of practicing with a 22 to build and then maintain skills. The savings over centerfire ammo allow a lot more practice. </div></div>

George could you elaborate on this statement in red? I fail to see your logic here.
Not above being educated.

OP your choice of 30-06 is fine for anything that walks on legs in KY. Model 700 Remington would be my pick. </div></div>

since the military switched away from the garand(and therefor the 30-06 and any other cartridges requiring long actions) the price/availability of practice ammo makes these cartridges/rifles impractical for skill development. Since the OP called for a good solid platform for some hunting + skills development/long range shooting and the .308 is more than sufficient for the game mentioned, why go with 300 win mag, 30-06, 7mm mag etc. like some of these replies are suggesting. Why have the extra bolt travel, recoil, and ammo expense on a first or only rifle. For rifle #4 or 5, when you may have a chance at going past a 1000yds a high performance magnum is fun but for an only rifle some of the recommendations that have been made would be a poor choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drifter000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1shot2kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there are many different guns you could go with but a important question is whats your budget </div></div>
I need to keep the rifle and scope less than $1000. I can upgrade the stock and other items as time goes by. I just want to start out with a strong reliable platform.I think i may be leaning towards the rem 700. A little more expensive, but i think there are endless possibilities to upgrade this rifle from what i have seen. </div></div>

here is my recent project for a multi purpose bolt gun, position shooting, hunting, general practice total package under 1000

Rem 700 SPS varmint 26" 12 twist barrel $575 - 75 rebate
cut off 8"off the barrel and filed it square and smooth (no smith, no charge)
cut off about 4" from the forestock + replace swivel ( no flexing to touch the barrel now)
add 2" spacer for length of pull and build up comb with pipe insulation $ 2.00
0 moa 1 pc scope base $ 18
warne rings $24
nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 $270
homemade cuff/carry sling $24 in parts
midway soft case $ 25
reasonable weight to carry/shoot standing
does as well as 1moa with .35 reloads
3/4 moa with hunting loads that cost me around .50

I liked how this turned out so well that I recently sold my AIAE

George there is still plenty of great Lake City M-2 ball to be had at gunshows and on the internet. The 308 is a great cartridge. I agree that some of the recommendations are simply out in left field in relation to what the OP is asking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armorpl8chikn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George there is still plenty of great Lake City M-2 ball to be had at gunshows and on the internet. The 308 is a great cartridge. I agree that some of the recommendations are simply out in left field in relation to what the OP is asking. </div></div>

from what I understand the last of the surplus 30-06 rifles/ammo that came back from Greece are out there now, military 30-06 hasn't been made in any quantity for over 40 yrs and no other significant stockpiles exist, it will take a while for the supply to dwindle but after that the price of practice ammo will be prohibitive.

getting off the subject here, but from my experience .223 is the most practical centerfire practice cartridge because of the ease of range pick up loadable brass, very little steel case or berdan primed to cause problems and no sweat to find every last piece of brass since I always end up picking up more than I shoot. 762x39 and 308 brass have so few reloadable cases that it is not worth picking it up to look at

Another vote for the Tikka T3.

If you're not planning on doing a lot of work onto your rifle (truing, new trigger, new action, rebarreling) then definitely a Tikka.

The quality of a Tikka out of the box is really incredible. The bolt doesn't just slide out, it glides out, that's how smooth it is.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/775/products_id/411545950

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411545813

Alternately:

Buy any used Stevens 200 or Savage 110 in 30-06, 300WM or 7mmRM; should be dozens of them in pawn shops & gun store used racks all around KY for $300 or less. Or, you may be able to find a factory new rifle in a Wal-Mart for about $400.

If you don't care for the stock it comes with, buy a Boyd's FT Thumbhole stock or a Bell & Carlson Duramaxx...either should run you $100 or so.

A set of Burris Xtreme Tactical two-piece bases, a set of Signature Zee rings, and a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42 scope which gives you decent low-end field of view and decent high-end magnification for LR shooting for less than $250 new. Or, snag a Weaver 3-10 mil/mil when they go on sale for Midway for $300 which some folks would say is a far superior scope to the Burris for hunting & LR shooting.

Total investment: $800 or less, with the ability for you to start hunting and shooting LR now, with great ease in the future to upgrade as funds allow.

Good caliber choice. That was the caliber of my first hunting rifle. That gun kills elk really well. I would highly recommend a Savage or a Remington since you mention that you want to upgrade down the road. With Remington, a gunsmith is pretty much going to have to do your work for you, with Savage, if you are confident in your abilities, you can upgrade the components yourself. The Remington has more aftermarket support, the Savage does not have as much, but still has a fair amount. Since cost is an issue, I would lean toward a Savage or a Stevens (with a few upgrades). A Stevens is a Savage action with a really crappy stock, but it only costs $250 where I live. By the way, my stock Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag shoots 1/2" to sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards and I regularly shoot it to 1400 yards and beyond accurately. Use the money you save on a Savage to buy a good scope. Don't listen to people who tell you that the .30-06 is a bad long range or hunting round - it is a great cartridge and fills these rolls well. I shoot the 208 Amax in my .30-06 and where I shoot, they go subsonic right around 1900 yards - that's a long way. And yes, it will go that far accurately with the right load.

Getting a complete, decent setup for less than a grand will be a tough nut to crack.

Your choice of 30'06 is a good choice, however, your options are limited IF you intend on doing some precision shooting.

The .308 is more than enough for black bear and elk, you just need to pay attention to bullet selection.

May I suggest the following:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/280/products_id/44487

It is currently out of stock, but 445 plus about 50 for an EGW one piece base will leave you almost 500 for scope and rings.

A weaver grand slam tactical 3-10x can be had on sale for 300 bucks. It is an EXCELLENT scope add a decent set of rings like the burris xtr and you will have enough money left over for a harris bipod.

The Howa rifle is really dandy rifle, accurate and VERY well made. Bell and Carlson makes a very nice stock with an aluminum bedding block for about 230.

Another rifle to consider is the winchester stealth in .308 but that will leave you less for scope and rings. The winchester comes in an excellent stock that does not need replaced.