• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What base to use.

jakim0423

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2014
I am about to recieve my new rifle it is a .375 Cheytac built on a Stiller Tac 408 action 30" barrel and an XLR chassis. I just recived my new NF ATACR scope and rings but wonder what base to put under it. I was thinking a 40moa base. Is that to much? I am just gettining into long range so the thought of anything over 1200yds is not practical at this point but I do not want to be limited on my equipment after once my skill level increases. I have also purchased a new vectronix range finder so the distance should not be an issue. The load I plan to start with is 132.5gn of Retumbo federal 215 primer ( not easy to find ) and the 350grn SMK bullet. This I am guessing to be at about 3050fps, so is a 40moa base the right choice. Thanks in advance for your input.

Get a 20 MOA nightforce with 8-40 screws. I would think that stiller would have the tac408 opened to those bigger screws instead of the 6-48. Just get something steel and Picatinny on a round that large. If you want to be safe for 1500+ go 30 MOA. With the 375 cheytac (I owned one in a similar setup by Lawton in a McRee chassis) I never shot it under 500 yards again after I got my load developed and sighted at 100.

You won't need 40 MOA until you go over 1500 with that NF scope you have. And with what you have in that setup, if you absolutely NEED a 40 MOA base in the future, it's only $120-150 more for a new base.

Last edited:
Check with Murphy Precision. If you want a 32 moa base, he is the man. He will do it
in Ti if you want to dump a few extra $. Plus, all the weight you'll save!

Like I said I am new to long range but if my calculations are correct with the NF and a 40moa base I can have a 100 yard zero and have adjustment to go as far as the caliber capable of. Plus at 12-1500 yards I would be in the mechanical zero area of the scope. All comments are welcome.

Scope should have 120 moa /2= 60 moa centered. 40 moa base should leave you 20 moa to play with. 40 moa base would be lowest I would go. Put a 40 moa on and forget about, just make sure to realize the objective will be closer to the barrel vs a 20 moa base (angle of scope) so varies with ring height. You mention you already have the rings(low or med or highs), bases can be custom made to your needed height/ thickness.

Last edited:
Not sure what the rings are. The guy building my rifle is supplying them with the scope I also bought from him.