• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes what bases/rings to use?

cooperjd

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
alexandria, VA
folks,
quick question.

i recently purchased a remington 700 bdl, .338 RUM, and will top it with a minox za5 3-15x42 that i have laying around.

my question is this. this will be a hunting rig, with "long range" to me being 4-500 yards. (chip shots to some of you). anyway, this rifle will not have a brake on it, and i need something tough enough to withstand the recoil and hunting abuse. what do y'all suggest?

would aluminum be tough enough? or do i need to step up to steel?

thank you for your recommendation.

Re: what bases/rings to use?

I like Alloy myself for the rings but I prefer a Steel base. There are a lot of good makers our there.

Nightforce
Badger
Seekins
Leupold MK4 Alloy rings are nice.

Mike @ CST

Seekings, badger, Nightforce you can't go wrong. I ended up going with seekings for my 700 as I saw endless recommendations for them and I couldn't be happier. A lot of people do get away with cheaper options just fine however. I just like to know I have a great product.

I have bases made by Weaver, Near, PRI, Nightforce, Farrell, with rings from Nightforce, TPS, EGW, Burris, and Leupold. I have yet to have any fail in field conditions, and all have been 100% reliable.

If being used on a hunting rig and you are looking to keep light and simple, Game Reaper makes some very nice and lightweight one piece units. Have had a few pair of them mounted on some very heavy recoil rifles and never had a problem. Great Product for hunting.

Please bear with me on this somewhat long-winded and circuitous explanation to your comments on steel vs. AL

Keep in mind that I like steel bases myself under certain conditions, although the steel alloy that the particular piece is made from may or may not be any stronger than the high alloy AL many of the top tier ring makers use. It's also tough to beat AL 7075T6 or 7078T6xxx in what is known as "specific strength".

Specific strength is actually a very useful value to know for evaluating 2 competing materials.

In simplified terms, let's say you have a known load that you need to carry with a certain part. Just for argument's sake, let's say it is 500lbs.

Now, it's straightforward to calculate the geometry necessary to carry that load for any specific material.

Let's look at what that part weighs though.

So let's compare 4340 that is heat treated to have a failure tensile stress of 215ksi. This is pretty common in aerospace for a steel that is still strong, hard, and retains toughness. IE, it's not so hard and so strong that it becomes brittle and becomes prone to cracking during use.

Compare that to 7075 T651 at a failure tensile stress at 93ksi, again, this is relatively common stuff.

Now, if you were to take the same geometry and cut one from 7075T6 and the other from 4340 the steel would be abut 3x's heavier, but only about 2.2x's stronger.

So let's make something where the strength is equivalent. That means, change the geometry of the parts to where you thicken certain parts of the AL and thin out certain parts of the steel so that they can both equally carry that same 500lbs.

Which one weighs more?

In this comparison, the 4340 weighs more because it is 3x's more dense yet only 2.2x's stronger.

Same case with certain scope rings, the high alloy AL rings can be made to the same strength but in an overall lighter design than corresponding, high quality steel rings.

So, in the end, it's a question of "What alloy steel with what heat treat conditions" vs. "What alloy AL with what solution treatment conditions" do you REALLY want to compare?

My personal choice for a while now has been the various stuff built by American Rifle Co. It's made out of 7075, they're very tough, very nicely machined, they repeat well, have excellent grip properties, etc. Pound for pound, they're stronger than the competing steel designs and I've personally seen them last for thousands of rounds on a braked 338LM Imp. and several hundred rounds on a Barret M99 without the scope slipping in the rings.

All in all, an extremely well made and well engineered product.

thank you for your responses. and bohem, that was a great writeup, i certainly don't mind long winded
wink.gif
thank you.