• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes What bases will work with Seekins rings?

rem300wm

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
southeastern montana
I want to set up my Leupold with Seekins rings. I was going to use Weaver pic bases two remington rifles. One a long action and the other a short action. I can't find anyone with weaver pic rails in stock. I would like to keep cost to a minimum but like the idea of a recoil lug as my long action is a .300 wm. I have heard there may be problems with some less expensive bases and the Seekins rings matching up properly. Any suggestions?

Re: What bases will work with Seekins rings?

I have mic'ed Seekins bases (comparing them out of curiosity to Badger) and found them to be very precise. I also got some info on picatinny specs and could see why there is variation among manufacturers because (as Glen Seekins explained to me) the spec itself is a little loose. You would have no problem running Seekins, Badger or similar quality bases because those guys understand the engineering and do great machining.

Also, while you clearly mentioned "Weaver pic(atinny)" bases, some people might not realize that what is commonly known as a Weaver base is not entirely interchangeable with a picatinny base. (Although Weaver does make picatinny bases). http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=12631...The_Difference_ has a good explanation.

Thanks for the info. I have never set anything up like this so it is all new to me. And your answer goes right to the root of my question. I was hoping to avoid the additional expense of Seekins or Badger Ordinance. I know a good shooter who has the Weaver Seekins set up and is satisfied with it. Was just wondering if anyone else had tried something different.

Wow, we sure have a lot of guys from MT on here. We need to organize a group shoot.
wink.gif

Back to the question... I have an EGW base, which would be considered budget, and have NO problem with the Seekins. And I might add, for a "budget" base, it's held perfect zero with a 2 lb.+ Vortex Razor on top of a 300WM. I have no problems recommending EGW.

Jon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do yourself a favor and get both the base and rings from seekins. </div></div> Well, that's what I've done but truth is any high-quality rail from a manufacturer that understands the picatinny spec will work well.