• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What binos do you use/recommend for hunting?

threetrees

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Tirol
I'm thinking of getting binos with a range finder already included ... but i'm undecided on the magnification and objective size.

either 8x40 (-> leica or, more likely, the new swaro)
or 8x56 (-> here only the swaro comes close; or zeiss?)

Well. let's hear what you lads and lasses use out there.

Re: What binos do you use/recommend for hunting?

Zeiss Classic 10x40

8x50 swaro with a 8x30 laser guide.

I am looking at that new LRF bino swaro combo too but will have to save for a couple years first...

I use the Nikon 12X42 Monarchs, absolutely love them, my brother uses the 12X50's and his are even better. For quicker and more frequent observation I use my Swaro Laser guide.

interesting to see that most of you use (for our area) rather low-diameter objectives. here a Yx56 is more common. also, magnification usually hardly exceeds 10x

Got some Minox this year and have really been impressed with them.

I carry my binos and rangefinder separately. I have a set of early 2000's Zeiss Conquest 12x45's and a mid 90's Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 rangefinder.

I've got the Leicas and absolutely love them. I do a lot of hunting on a ranch where being absolutely sure of what you are looking at is critical, and I've never been disappointed with my Leicas. Dad has the Swaros, and the weight difference is noticeable without any return in better clarity.

It all depends on how far you will be glassing... I have had many binos in the past and I really like 10x or 12x binos, for me 8x is just not enough. My opinion is Swarovski is the clearest (I have not had them against the Nikon EDG, which I understand is pretty much a tie), Pentax DCF ED will compare very close to the Swaro SLC's for a lot less $$$, I used to have a pair of Zeiss but they broke and Zeiss customer service leaves a lot to be desired so will not buy again nor recommend, Leica Geovids are awesome but get the ED version they are a close second to Swaro in clarity (I used a pair and loved them and these will probably be my next purchase). I understand that Swaro is coming out with the all in one bino/rangefinder pretty soon but the $$$ is going to be high.

For $, I would get the Geovids over the Swaro and put $1k in my pocket for the 5% difference.

Just picked up Redfield because side by side comparison with Leupold was brighter, at about half the price (10x40 $149 vs $299), and Leupold Rx-lll.

I use Swarovski 10X42 and Swaro rangefinder, love the glass. Its expensive but once you get them you wont regret it. Buy once cry once. Though going to cry again soon placed my order with Euro optic a month ago for the new Swaro Ranges 10X42 been waiting for Swaro to release that for a while now. IMO they make one of the top binos on the market.

Agreed on the "buy once, cry once". I've had my Swaro 10 X 42s for a number of years and they have been worth the price.