• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What blast for stainless barreled action?

KPK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Oklahoma
Hey guys I'm having a rifle built, but don't know if I want it aluminum oxide blasted or bead, etc? It's a Surgeon action and rock barrel. Will aluminum oxide screw up the lettering, etc. on the barrel and action?

Re: What blast for stainless barreled action?

What are you trying to coat it in? I would recommend 120 grit aluminum oxide if you are going to duracoat it

I want to leave it stainless. I know it's not tacticool but I like the look!

Bead blast will polish, giving it a luminous look. Oxide, lets say 120 grit will give it that dull matte finish.

Bead blasting will hold up much better against scuffs and scratches showing, where oxide finish will show everything.

If you decide to go oxide for the matte finish, you can oil the barreled action down really good directly after blasting. This will help it from not being so prone to scuffs showing up, plus it really softens the look.