• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what bottom metal inlet is this

1shot2kill

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2008
north dakota
looks different than typical inlet for factory remy bottom metal
wk1to9.jpg

Re: what bottom metal inlet is this

As the seller stated it was not factory. I am guessing either the older Williams Tactical floorplate or perhaps Badger M4. I had first chance on it but passed because of not wanting to spend a chunk for bottom metal I didn't have and couldn't use the heavy barrel channel. A great deal if you can figure out what it is inletted for or have it on hand.

It's an M40A1 blank inletted for the M40A1 trigger guard, which is a cut down modified Winchester Model 70 steel two piece trigger guard/floorplate set. Check with GA Precision about availablty for one of these.

D'Oh, missed that one! Screaming deal on that stock...

It looks very close to a Williams inlet, but as said, impossible to verify without trying one in there or checking dimensions.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's an M40A1 blank inletted for the M40A1 trigger guard, which is a cut down modified Winchester Model 70 steel two piece trigger guard/floorplate set. Check with GA Precision about availablty for one of these. </div></div>

Dick if that is true where is the embedded escutcheon nut to retain TG with another screw at the front? Not saying you are incorrect just don't look right but I have been wrong in the past!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's an M40A1 blank inletted for the M40A1 trigger guard, which is a cut down modified Winchester Model 70 steel two piece trigger guard/floorplate set. Check with GA Precision about availablty for one of these. </div></div>

Dick if that is true where is the embedded escutcheon nut to retain TG with another screw at the front? Not saying you are incorrect just don't look right but I have been wrong in the past!</div></div>

Pretty sure the new stocks don't come with the 'escutcheon' installed in them from McM directly. They do the inlet, but the threaded section needs to be installed by the end user. The return stocks I have seen have all had that already in them, but it doesn't seem like it would be difficult at all to put one in.

DD

Guess that very well could be. I was referring to the return stocks. Guess I thought if you ordered an M40A1 with M40A1 bottom metal inlet that was a given but I should be smart enough not to 'assume' things!

Very good snag on that stock I saw it posted last night with no responses

Nope, we don't install the little escutcheon for the trigger guard front screw because we don't know where whoever makes up these trigger guard sets will drill that hole or what size thread they will use on the screw. This part is up to the smith building the rifle.

Alright, even though you just barely beat me to buying it, I'll chime in. You got one sweet deal on that stock!

Get ahold of member TacticalStocks here on the hide ASAP. He did have a very small supply of the old Williams M40 style bottom metal that will fit that inlet. It was manufactured as one piece especially to keep you from screwing around with the Winchester metal that takes a fair amount of work with installing an escutcheon and the like. Just be aware, like with fitting the Winchester metal that you will have to modify your trigger for it to work. It's a small job on the mill, maybe take you fifteen minutes.

I hope he still has a few pieces left, it will make your life much easier.

Here is a pic of the metal you are looking for on the right.

2qtvmlx.jpg

Thanks for explaining that Dick.

Down side to the Win type and the Williams Tactical is you cannot easily fit a Jewel trigger. That and barrel channel was the deal breaker for me. Sure wished I could find an armfull I can use for what this sold for. Would be almost like Christmas
smile.gif

Guys
I know I have a few remaining- I need to see which Short Action variants - I think there is one w/o tactical latch and maybe a finger +/- of a handful of the tactical latch ones.

PM replied to as well

john

No way to tell the age of the stock, looks like current production. Could have been last month or last year or 5 years ago. Someone probably ordered it to build an M40A1 replica and then decided not to spend that much money.