• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What bottom metal is my stock inletted for?

Driftwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2009
Idaho, USA
I ordered a McM McHale stock from McMillan a couple of years ago. The photo below has a discription of the stock as taken from both my invoice and the stock itself. I asked that the stock be inletted for a Remington 700 BDL floorplate. While my bottom metal fits, and is functional, the inlet seems to be for another bottom metal. I hoping you can tell me what bottom metal I should get. I know its strictly cosmetic, but it bugs me, any help would be greatly appreciated.
BDLBottomMetalD.jpg

Re: What bottom metal is my stock inletted for?

McMillan is a stand up company. I shot a pm off to Dick Davis. I am not worried about it, I am more curious. I have been thinking of changing bottom metal anyway and so I thought if I could find the bottom metal it was inletted for that would be a good start. I am not back in the states very often, so its been one of those things that have been on the back burner. The rifle shoots great, I just wish it looked a little more finished. I have always had great customer service when dealing with McMillan.

It is inletted correctly for the BDL - they make the relief cuts for the straddle (hinge floorplate) to clear the stock since the McHale is a deeper stock than the specs for a BDL setup. (McHale was the stock for the PH M85 rifle which was a M98 variant that feed from M14 mags)

JB

I appreciate the information. The relief cuts don't seem as though they are needed. The bottom metal doesn't sit far enough down that it would catch the stock when opened. I was issued a McMillan M86 a few years back. I built this rifle to be a M86ish rifle. I don't remember there being a gap like that on the inlet of the M86. I can't say for certain as it was a few years ago, but I would think I would remember that. I will see if I can get a side picture that shows where the bottom metal sits. I considered filling it in with some expoxy. It's just never really been that high on my list of things to do during my time at home.

StillerBottomMetal.jpg

The picture really isn't very good, but its all I have at the moment. I wonder if there is a better bottom metal for this stock. I was thinking of switching to something like a motified Win 70 floor plate like is on the M40A1. The main thing I don't like about the current bottom metal / inlet is that the rifle doesn't look very finished.

I received a very polite response from Dick Davis stating that it is the correct inlet for the 700 BDL as was already mentioned. The cuts above are to allow the floorplate to open all the way without catching on the stock. He offered to try to tighten it up when I got home, but it hardly seems worth the effort. McMillan put the cuts there for a reason. I think I will just put a little paint on the in the recesses to try to match the stock a little better. I want to thank Mr.Davis for his response. It's just another example of McMillans excellent customer service.

I purchased a McHale stock for the same inlet (Rem 700 SA BDL) in the 90's and it has the same small gaps at the front edge of the floorplate. It is a M86ish build as well.

The front part of the floorplate inlet was also a little deeper than required for the thickness of the Rem BDL f/p, but once the pillars were trimmed and installed it all sat at the correct depth, albeit with the small gaps by the floorplate hinge. I think it is a deeper than normal stock in that area and if I remember correctly my smith made a magazine box that was a little longer than the standard BDL part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: njohn890</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I purchased a McHale stock for the same inlet (Rem 700 SA BDL) in the 90's and it has the same small gaps at the front edge of the floorplate. It is a M86ish build as well.

The front part of the floorplate inlet was also a little deeper than required for the thickness of the Rem BDL f/p, but once the pillars were trimmed and installed it all sat at the correct depth, albeit with the small gaps by the floorplate hinge. I think it is a deeper than normal stock in that area and if I remember correctly my smith made a magazine box that was a little longer than the standard BDL part. </div></div>

I'd be interested in seeing some photos of the final product and of the magazine box as well. It would seem like you could avoid inletting that area so deep and then just use two of the longer screws to tighten the action down. Granted the magazine box would need to be a bit taller, and that's one thing I don't have figured out yet.

I will be home next month. I will take some pictures of the stock then. It's really nothing that needs to be "fixed". I am sure a competent gunsmith could certainly make it look more "finished". The extra long inlet was made to allow the floorplate to open completely. I don't know if they are really needed or not. I will look into it more when I get home. I have considered inletting it for bottom metal with a larger floor plate or possibly a DBM system. I like the old HS Precision, but they haven't been available as much. I really don't think its worth a lot of effort to remedy. The rifle functions flawlessly, it has a minor cosmetic flaw that annoys me but I am really the only one that would notice it.As I mentioned Mr. Davis offered try to tighten it up if I wanted, I may just send it back to McMillan.