• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"WHAT BUGS ME" is a hit with the kids

mtcur3

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
I chopped the stock on one of my Savage FV-SRs, spray painted it tan, added an old Tasco 4-16, a Harris bi-pod and suppressor and invited a group of boys (6-10 yo) over after church on Sunday. They got a thorough safety in-doc first and foremost. These were new shooters, so I started them from prone with a rear bag at 25 yards in order to give them a greater chance of success. I had eight boys, so to keep things moving I had them shoot five rounds each for score. They did several rounds and scores ranged from 10 pts to 40 pts. They all had a great time and I was very happy to see them getting into the competition, but at the same time encouraging each other when a good hit was made.

Later that afternoon a friend with a private range invited me and my wife over to run another rifle intro for a group of girls and boys. He set up 30 balloons of various sizes at 50 yards and we brought some steel and set it up at the 25 yard mark. The kids got their safety brief and shot rimfire from the bench, seated and offhand, using the above mentioned Savage, a CZ Scout and a couple of Savage Rascals. Some of the kids started off a bit hesitant, but all of them ended up very enthusiastic.

It was good for me too. Taking a 6 year old who has never shot before and getting them on target can be challenging. Some of them get it intuitively, while others can be a chore. I have to say though, the big smile when they start getting hits makes it all worthwhile. We're going to try and make this a monthly shoot and see where it goes. I'll try and get some photos to post next time.

This is good. Kudos to you for becoming involved.

Thank you,
Mr.Smith

This is exactly how we can keep the next generations excited and interested. Thanks for doing this. I know from personal experience how rewarding this can be.

Congrats on your efforts to introduce kids to shooting. This is very important and most important is they get good safety habits and have lots of fun by seeing success on their first outing.