• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bullets are your favorite for target .308 WIN

saleen308

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2009
Katy, TX
Do you all use a FMJ bullet or something else? So far my rifle seems to like 125gr and 150gr bullets. I don't always have the greatest selection at BP for bullets but, can normally find something in the weight I'm looking for.

Is there a good place to buy in large quanities to save some $$$$

Re: What bullets are your favorite for target .308 WIN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

my favorite is the 155gr Lapua scenar... </div></div>

Mine too......best I have found so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 260rem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

my favorite is the 155gr Lapua scenar... </div></div>

Mine too......best I have found so far. </div></div>

Mine too. I will also add the 178 AMAX is great if you want the rifle to be a dual purpose long range/hunting rig.

Depends on what you want to do, what range you shoot and what gun (barrel length, twist). It makes a difference when asking the ubiquitous "whats best" question. Having said that, for 800 yds and less my favs in order are: 168 AMAX, 175 SMK, 178 AMAX.

I never asked "whats best". The subject line says what is <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Y</span>OUR</span> favorite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Y</span>OUR</span> favorite. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">178 AMAX</span></span>

168 sierra match hollow point here. 168 Amax is my second.

I started off making a load for a 155gr scenar and got good results and liked it. I just picked up some 168gr VLDs and 175gr berger BT LRs. First load with the 175grs all sub-MOA absolutely love em. Will definitely be my Long range load for my .308.

155 scenar or 175/178. If you are wanting to shoot past 600-800 you will not like the 168s.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 scenar or 175/178. If you are wanting to shoot past 600-800 you will not like the 168s.

Josh</div></div>

I've been interesting in testing out a 168gr VLD, if you could get em around 2750+ i think they would retain enough energy to do pretty decent @ 1000. Unless it's something else that's effecting the 168s ability to lose stability @ 1000 other than it's BC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 scenar or 175/178. If you are wanting to shoot past 600-800 you will not like the 168s.

Josh</div></div>

I've been interesting in testing out a 168gr VLD, if you could get em around 2750+ i think they would retain enough energy to do pretty decent @ 1000. Unless it's something else that's effecting the 168s ability to lose stability @ 1000 other than it's BC. </div></div>

I should have specified. Above someone pointed out the 168 SMK. That one will not get you to 1000. The 168 VLD may, but it is just an affect of form factor vs the G7 standard. The 155 scenar has a hollow nose which allows it to be much longer and sleeker at a lower mass. However, the 168 does not and is hindered by having a poor form factor along with its lower weight. The 175 is better in both respects.

Josh

155 scenar and 175smk. 168-175 vld Berger's when I can find a deal on them... The newer berger 175 long range BT has my attention, but at midways .50 cents a bullet + shipping, its not worth it.

I wish Berger would make a 250, 500 or 1000ct box with a substantial discount.

Ah i see. I do like the 175s also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never asked "whats best". The subject line says what is <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Y</span>OUR</span> favorite. </div></div>

You are correct. Sorry, I'm so used to seeing the "what's best" Q. However, favorite for X application still applies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">155 scenar or 175/178. If you are wanting to shoot past 600-800 you will not like the 168s.

Josh</div></div>

I've been interesting in testing out a 168gr VLD, if you could get em around 2750+ i think they would retain enough energy to do pretty decent @ 1000. Unless it's something else that's effecting the 168s ability to lose stability @ 1000 other than it's BC. </div></div>

I should have specified. Above someone pointed out the 168 SMK. That one will not get you to 1000. The 168 VLD may, but it is just an affect of form factor vs the G7 standard. The 155 scenar has a hollow nose which allows it to be much longer and sleeker at a lower mass. However, the 168 does not and is hindered by having a poor form factor along with its lower weight. The 175 is better in both respects.

Josh </div></div>

It is my understanding that it is the boat angle that causes the instability (13 degrees=too steep). But it likely is a combo of several factors. It ultimately depends on altitude, temp and baro pressure when launched at 308 velocities and where the transonic zone will be. If you live at a high enough altitude it will work fine. I have had similar problems with 155 a-max as well and it shares the steep boat tail @ 13.5 degrees. As long as it remains supersonic, its fine. No worries with 168 VLD bergers, super or sub-sonic in my experience.

I use the Lapua Scenar 155 and the 175 smk.

Im also looking at trying out the Lapua 185 D46... its an FMJBT

Something tells me it will be a screamer of a round.

Can't find a really good load for 155 Scenars (very picky bullet for me) so i mainly shoot 185 Scenars and 170 Lockbase (interval of almost .8gr of powder shoots below way below moa in my rifle) and still struggle with 155 load (i can get them to group at top charge - 47-48gr of N540 but still not consistent enough).

178gr amax... hands down. Run them out into the lands....

I worked up a load for a friend's rifle last night.... he couldn't get it to shoot under .5"... first ladder yesterday produced .31" ( even the groups that weren't producing were better than his best groups before)... but, we're going to find a higher accuracy node... that load was 42.6gr of varget and oal was at 3.02 ( kissing the lands ) he wasn't showing pressure at all so, we're going one node higher and calling it good.

He's got an PSS with a mcmillan a5 stock that isn't even bedded yet. Can't wait for him to bed the damned thing. The Lord only knows what it will do once he gets rid of that factory barrel.

Out of my TRG22 the Scenars 155 grs are very accurate, 1/3 MOA at 300 meters if I do my part. I am having great results also with the Scenar 185 grs and 44 grs of Vihtavuori N150.

Currently shooting the 155's. The 175's are good too.

168 Amax as most on my shooting is 600 and under. I want one round and one load to do it all and as I hunt pigs and whitetail the 168 is heavy enough for good dependable effect.

Oh in 600 yard F-Tr I dont load real hot so the 155 skinneys wouldnt be a big advantage for me.

Looks like I'm the odd duck, using the 180SMK. I chose it based on BC, and wanting the heaviest bullet I could launch at 2500fps or better. My theory is that gravity is easy to account for and wind isn't - so get the heaviest highest BC bullet you can reasonably launch.

At a recent match, my horizontal spread was much nicer than any of the other 308s there shooting most all of the other bullets mentioned here.

I like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: saleen308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you all use a FMJ bullet or something else? So far my rifle seems to like 125gr and 150gr bullets. I don't always have the greatest selection at BP for bullets but, can normally find something in the weight I'm looking for.

Is there a good place to buy in large quanities to save some $$$$ </div></div>

Many folks doing their own loading for .308 seem to like boattailed match hollow points or ballistic tipped boattailed match bullets around 155-178 grains. What people seem to end up with seems to be a matter of luck, barrel twist and what you come across first that gets you under 1/2MOA which most folks seem to think is good enough.

I like 168 grain AMAX bullets out to 1,000 yards which the 168 grain SMKs do not seem to be able to match both with MV's of 2,750fps. Out to 800 maybe a tad more the 168SMKs and 168AMAXs seem to be about equal but once the distance is much past 800 yards the 168AMAX's better BC seems to make just enough difference to get them to 1,000 yards. On a low wind day I like the AMAX168s out to 1,000 yards.

In the next heavier weight range I have had slightly better accuracy results using 175 grain SMKs than 178 grain AMAX bullets but for the most part they are very close. I'll be testing some of the newer Hornady 178 grain match bullets in the next few weeks to see if they can dethrone the 178SMKs or not. On paper at least the new 178 grain Hornady match are a better bullet but this remains to be seen in the field.

I'm shooting a tired Remington factory barrel with a 1 in 12 twist and I cannot get anything heavier than the 178's to work well. I have tried SMK190s and SMK200s but saw too many pressure issues to get them moving fast enough to work well so I gave up and stuck with conventional wisdom using 178's as the heaviest bullets I shoot in my old .308.

Hope this helps!

178 AMAX
175 Berger VLD
175 SMK or Nosler Custom Competition
155 Lapua Scenar

Tried some Hornady factory loads with 168 BTHP's that shot pretty well too, other than those I haven't messed with too many 168 loads.

My 10 twist rifle likes the Berger 185 BTLR. They are better (for me, anyway) than the 175 SMK's that I had previously been shooting. Expensive, though.

My Tikka T3 Tactical loves the 168gr A-Max with 44.5 Varget. I have had good results to 900 yds with that load with 4 of 5 @ 800 yds when I set up the afternoon stage at Woodys match in NC a couple weeks back. I have not tweaked agood 178 A Max for the Tikka and it hates 175 SMK's. My new AR 10 build seems to like the 175 SMK's best so far. Both ae 1:11.25 twist

Old favorite: 190 gr SMK

Becoming my new favorite: 208 gr A max

With RE-17, I'm getting over 2600 fps, but accuracy is at 2510 fps with 47.5 gr RE-17... Still haven't shot a group over 0.360 MOA with this combo.

I like Nosler Ballistic Tips. Mainly because I can use the same loads for hunting, etc., with no changes.

My SPS has a fondness for 168gr A-Max's. They group well and will work for 700 yards, which is as far as I have available to shoot right now.

I'm able to wring best accuracy out of my PBR with 155 Scenars. That makes them my favorites.

175 SMK is my choice for both performance and economy.
.25 MOA accuracy out to 500 yards and .5 MOA out to 1K.

The new BTHP Match bullets from Hornady sound promising though.
It doesn't hurt that they are less expensive either.
My only issue with Hornady is availability at times.
(They are a victim of their own success.)

For good pricing in bulk, I look at Powder Valley, Natchez Shooters Supplies, & Midsouth Shooters Supply.

I rock the 208 AMAX over 51.2 gr of Reloder 17 in Win brass and a Wolf primer at a lovely 3.060" COAL... its a very solid .4MOA load. Kicks ass and takes names way down range too. saleen308, you aren't that far from Baileys in S Houston. or from me in all reality.

No one shoots the 155 SMK 2156? I started out with the Lapua 155's and they shot excellent but price per grin the sierra's don't suck. I can also run them a little faster before showing pressure than the Lapua's, not that it matters that much since I've seen my best groups with the Lapua's. But banging steel the Sierra's work well with 47grns of Varget for me.

I tired the smk155's and my gun didn't like them.

the bullet weight that you want is largely based off of the twist ratio of your barrel because generally heavier bullets are longer and therefore need tighter twists to optimally stabilize them before they leave the barrel. my .308 has a 1:12 twist ratio and it loves 168 SMKs

mine is a 1:10 twist so it likes the 178, but i still wanted to give the 155s a try.

For Target My Rifle favors .308 BIB 134gr FB out to 300

I have shot virtually every target type bullet in .308w, for me there is none other than the 155gr Scenar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I rock the 208 AMAX over 51.2 gr of Reloder 17 in Win brass and a Wolf primer at a lovely 3.060" COAL... its a very solid .4MOA load. Kicks ass and takes names way down range too. saleen308, you aren't that far from Baileys in S Houston. or from me in all reality.</div></div>

51 grains?! That must be screaming. I am at 47gr, and happy with 2650 fps I get but now......

Didn't think you could get that much into a 308 case.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gpz750</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mine is a 1:10 twist so it likes the 178, but i still wanted to give the 155s a try.</div></div>

My 10 twist did not like the Berger 155.5's. The bullet was hard pressed to hold 2 minutes at 600 yards. With a 26" barrel and 46.5 grs. of Varget, they chronoed at 2950. I liked the flatter trajectory, but that's all. 10 Twist is much too fast for this bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chanonry</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: drunkhumpinmonkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I rock the 208 AMAX over 51.2 gr of Reloder 17 in Win brass and a Wolf primer at a lovely 3.060" COAL... its a very solid .4MOA load. Kicks ass and takes names way down range too. saleen308, you aren't that far from Baileys in S Houston. or from me in all reality.</div></div>

51 grains?! That must be screaming. I am at 47gr, and happy with 2650 fps I get but now......

Didn't think you could get that much into a 308 case. </div></div>

Maybe at 3.060" OAL, but I can't do it at 3.006"... At 3.026" I am in the lands, so no go fo rme.