• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bushing do i need?

308skinner

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 23, 2006
    Indiana
    Im loading a 223 bolt. I measured what i have loaded now and they range between .246 and .247. Should i get the 245 or 246? Im loading win brass with 60vmax.

Re: What bushing do i need?

Bolt gun or autoloader?

I would go with .243 for autoloader and .244 for bolt gun.

.244 will give you 2 thou neck tension, perfect for a bolt gun.

This is how it pretty much works

1 thou neck tension if you are going to single load
    2 thou if you are going to load from a mag (bolt gun!)
    3 thou for autoloaders (such as AR15's)

you deduct the above number from the measurement you took from a loaded round and that number will give you the size of the bushing.

However, if you are loading molly bullets for a bolt gun, some people go with 3 thou neck tension because molly is slicker or some shit like that. I dont fuck with molly so not an issue for me.

No its not molly ill order me a 244 and 245 and try then both. Thanks USMCj.

.003 under neck diameter to begin .004 after four or five reloads unless you anneal. .001 under you will have bullets falling out of the case......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: criver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.003 under neck diameter to begin .004 after four or five reloads unless you anneal. .001 under you will have bullets falling out of the case...... </div></div>

I have quite a few friends who shoot BR (and BR only) that use bishings .001 under and I havent seen any of their bullets fall out. I go .002 under on mine, and you guessed it, no bullets falling out either! (or pushed in for that matter. And mine are mag fed!

.001 Neck tension is fine. I run alot of ammo via the mag with .001 neck tension. Never an issue what so ever.

FWIW, per the Redding instruction sheet I have in front of me-

To Determine Bushing Size
    The proper bushing size can be determined by measuring the outside neck diameter of your loaded cartridges with a precision micrometer. From this measurement, subtract .001". This allows for a small amount of brass spring back and created a proper press fit for the bullet.