• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

What caliber for a new custom bolt gun?

Poorboyr

shooter
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Ohio
I had my mind dead set on a 308 build, but I ended up picking up a FN in 308. So I'm debating if I should still go 308 or something like a 6.5 Creedmore. The rifle will be used for long distance shooting and PRS. Just a few questions, what would the barrel life be on a 6.5 Creedmore or 260. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Go something more competitive than 308, be it creed or 260 or dasher (even more so provided you reload). All three of those would be surprising to see not go 2500 rounds. There are some that are shorter of course but for the most part 2500 is a reasonable expectation.

How custom are you intending on going?

6.5 Creedmoor would be a good choice for your uses. No need for another .308. If you don't handload you can find relatively inexpensive ammo and if you do then plenty of component choices.

Barrel life depends on how you hoot it but figure 2500-3500 is a good average range.

If you reload I'd say go 260, a very forgiving cartridge and easy to load for. If you're limited to factory ammo, 6.5 creedmore. 2500 rounds is a reasonable expectation of barrel life in either one if you don't run hot loads. I definately would not recommend another 308. While fun to shoot and reload for, it's not even close to being in the same league as the abovery choices for long range and/or competition.

I do reload, but not near enough. I've heard good things about the 6.5x47 lapua, but there isn't much factory ammo. Does anyone run that?

I will throw the 6.5x47 into the ring. Seems to be more accurate than my .260, but that could just be in my head (my smith is adamant that the 6.5x47 is inherently more accurate). 130 Hybrids @ 2950 will blow your .308 out of the water in terms of ballistics. Great brass life too. Excellent Lapua brass that requires no prepping. It's one of my favorite rifles.

If you don't reload, 6.5 Creed.

Out of the PRS 6.5's, the Creedmoor is the best option.

I also recommend starting out with 6.5 Creedmoor. You can easily reload or get very good factory ammo for it. I was told the barrel life is around 2000 to 2500. Mine is currently at 1,200 and going strong.

I started on a .308. Got a 6.5mm a year amd a half ago and love it.

260 Rem or 6.5 Creed are both good choices.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I just made the switch from .308 to 6.5x47. So far it's been a very good decision. Redding dies, Lapua brass, Berger or Hornady pills. Small primers though and the flash holes are small at 1.5mm, so you might need some new tools. Recoil is significantly less, but you'll see that with any 6.5 platform. A joy to shoot compared to the .308.

If you're going to handload I would go 6.5x47 unless you want to run the small primer 6.5CM Lapua Brass then I'd go that route. The new SRP 6.5CM is going to be hard to beat. If you don't want to reload it's 6.5CM for sure

I started with the 308 and added the 6.5 CM. Would definitely recommend the 6.5 CM. Good luck.

Barrels for these guns aren't something you have to live with for the rest of your life, I'd say go for the Creedmoor, you can use factory ammo or load your own for it, and when you wear it out, you can choose to get another 6.5CM, or you may find that another caliber tickles your fancy, or that you have increased the amount you handload, and want to try 6.5x47/.260/6mm etc...

I always recommend 6.5CM because it fits the bill perfectly for anyone who isn't %100 sure yet. Not only can you find factory ammo AND handloading components easily, it has the performance to satisfy anyone from the lowly beginner, to the top PRS champions.

For PRS, 6mm and 6.5mm are very popular. 6.5CM and 260 REM are both great and very similar. They both have great factory ammo available (PRIME makes both). 260 REM can push the pills a little faster, but it's not much.

Regardless of what route you take, if you plan on shooting PRS, you'll end up needing a new barrel sooner than you'd like (depending on how many matches you shoot, and your practice regimen) , so you won't be married to whatever you choose.

If you like barrel life, go with a 6.5 flavor. The 6's are very nice but barrel burners, so you have to be prepared for that. They are all very close in ballistics for the 6.5's. Each case has its own short falls. With the 47's most run them hot with compressed loads, I find them to be a bit finicky, but very good shooters. The creed is the new kid on the block, compared to the others. The case was actually designed to fix the bad points of the 260. I prefer the case volume for the 6.5 creed over the 47's, but you had to work the brass to get the same accuracy as the 47's. With Lapua on the shelves now, I think it would be a toss up. If you are thinking about shooting the new 147's, the creed gets a bonus point since it will not crowd the case as much.

The creed is very easy to load for.

The 47's will not be that magical round any longer.

I did not see in any of your posts if you reloaded or not. If your not already set up for rolling your own, buy a creed.

Thanks for all the considerations. I do reload, just not enough. I think I'm leaning towards the 6.5 creedmoor.

If you handload and can handload to precision tollarances I would say go 6.5x47

if you want to be able to use factory ammo. 6 or 6.5 creed. 6 is softer. 6.5 more barrel life