• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

what caliber should i go with????

GSRswapandslow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina, Hudson (28638)
so...new job = new toys

i'm wanting to build another centerfire since i sold mine when i got laid off. i know this has been beat to death...but the vast majority of people have access to longer ranges than I do....so i'm looking at short/intermediate rounds

what i use it for:
popping steel and paper...groups are cool, but just on target is fine

200yd range at my disposal

400yds at bil's tree farm (we could get more..but that's cleared for the trees already)

if i feel in the mood...plugging some whistle pigs at 300-400yds and want to be humane

if i get the chance...i'd love to shoot farther. SUPPOSEDLY my best friend has a place to shoot 600-1000yds locally...although i haven't been taken there yet.

what i want:
fairly cheap to shoot if possible

EASY to obtain brass, bullets, powder, etc.. i'm not a reloader, yet, but i plan on buying a setup soon

manageable recoil...given what i'll use it for, this should be moot

easy to obtain bulk AND match ammo from most gunshops (or better yet...walmart, love me some walmart)

plenty of load data out there for various configurations of said round

factory barreled in said round...was looking at a savage setup since they seem to be the smartest money these days, but i've had remington for all my previous guns so might just get another

compatible with a 20" or shorter barrel

subsonic possibility...i know this is just in the load, but i figure some rounds work better sub than others...

short action

will load from a DBM

i think that's it...
now off the top of my head... .223 and .308 of course pop up...as they're obviously the most popular 2 rounds, but i keep seeing tons of rifles with 6.5mm and 6mm rounds....wasn't sure if there were better options out now.

so....anything?

Re: what caliber should i go with????

I bet you're going to hear .308 a million times

Lots of cartridges a immediately left out since you want a 20" barrel and want to make 1000yds.

Its great for the distances you described, and if you ever have a hankering for sub-sonic, you can swap out the barrel for a 300 whisper.

But since you're not big on reloading just yet, stay with easily attainable rounds.

Also, 243 is the easiest way into the 6mm realm, despite it being a barrel burner

ok....so let me rephrase..the 20" is a desire, not a MUST
i'll go up to 24" or 26" if it'll make one round do better than the other rounds.

the rifle's i'm looking at:
savage:
10 Precision Carbine
10 FCP-K
10 FP

remington:
sps tactical
sps varmit

any of those will HAVE to get a new stock...

the other choices are:
10 FCP HS Precision
700p

neither of these would really "need" work to shoot how i want...but are both larger initial investments to GET shooting. where as the others, while needing stocks, would still be shootable from the day i toss a scope on.

i mean, i know that's a wide assortment...but those are ones i've HAD my hands on, or have been lucky enough to shoot.

so...it pretty much looks like it'll be .308 or .223....
so should i just get the .308 so i don't regret it later....or keep the .223 and rebarrel to a better round later? will the bolt face really matter if i stay in the 6/6.5/30 cal range?

sorry for the noobish questions...i've just never had the disposable income to actually BUILD what i want, i've always settled.

Realistically it looks like 95% of your shooting will be in the 200yrd range, there for I'd get the .223.
I'd get the Savage in .223, it'll be far cheaper to change calibres once you decide to go bigger, you can pick up a used model 10 .308 barrel for around $125,then all you need is a mag box/follower ($20) bolt head ($40) & tools ($40).
other calibers.
.204 Remington

6.5x47 Lapua
These 3 calibres will use the same bolt head as the .308
Curt

Nah, I'd go .308 over the .223. On the rare occasions that you DO get out past 5-600 yds, you will be happy with the .308 decision. The .308 will do EVERYTHING the .223 will do, but it doesn't work as well the other way around.

I took my 308 Remington tactical to 1000 and back several times Monday. (Only mod to the rifle is a better stock) Shots under 500 are a piece of cake. Just my 2cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nah, I'd go .308 over the .223. On the rare occasions that you DO get out past 5-600 yds, you will be happy with the .308 decision. The .308 will do EVERYTHING the .223 will do, but it doesn't work as well the other way around. </div></div>

I dunno,
I watched a guy knock down LaRue's at 760 yds with a suppressed 223 a couple weekends ago at a local match..... If I hadn't personally seen it (repeatedly that day) I wouldn't have believed it...

If you went the savage route, you could always buy an off the shelf barrel/gauge/bolt head later as funds/distance permit.......

i WANTED to go with a 6.5x47L build....but brass is stupid expensive, along with loaded ammo.

i've always been told .308 is just a good all around round....but it seems like all the gun guys i hang around with all have custom loads(super rock chucker magnum, 300duncan, 338duncan, etc..) and all i get to hear about is how much it cost them to load...so i don't want to be another one of THOSE guys.

so maybe the savage hs? i might hold out to see if the AICS does come out for the savage....i really regret selling my last AICS to mark lammers...i never even got the build the rifle before my layoff
frown.gif

this is a no brainer savage in 223 mag fed 9 twist or 7 twist if you can find it. shoot the hell out of it in factory barrel and when your ready to start reloading get a new barrel and bolt face and magazine and you will be ready to rock. for plinking under 600yds it is really hard to beat the 6mmbr easy to reload for and crazy accurate.

i'v ben thinking of a .270 win my self i think it's a better cartridge than the .308 i'v had 3 308 rifles noting wrong with then im just wanting to try something else!

If you get the precision carbine, there is no need for another stock, or for that matter, any accu-stock Savage.
They are actually very good stocks. It is a pain in the ass getting it back on if you remove it (mostly technique) and they have a specific torque sequence you need to follow.

The ONLY cartridge that truly matches you wants/desires is the .308, the .223's you mentioned are 1-9 twist and won't stabilize the heavies although you can get way out there with the 69 grain loads.
The savage Hunter Max in .243 would be a very good way to go, but it will burn out the barrel.

FWIW, if yo really want a DBM, it is pretty much going to be a Savage.
Also, don't discount the HOWA varmint series, CZ varmint rifle and the Tikka

.308 is the only way to go. If you end up joining a gun range where you can get out to 600-1000 yards youll be glad you have a .308

K.I.S.S.

Get the gun that suits what you <span style="font-style: italic">have</span>, not the one that suits what you <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> get, distance-wise.

Then:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Savage Model 25 LV, Lightweight Varminter, .223 chambering. Put a Tasco VAR624X42M scope on it and see how long it takes for you to find its flaws. Guessin' it'll be awhile... Meanwhile, with simple mounts, you're out the door for under $900.

First we walk, then we run. The skills have to come first, or not a single penny of the costier purchase is spent for anything useful (except, maybe, talkin').

Greg
</div></div>

'Nuff said...

when i said DBM...i was meaning an aftermarket bottom metal, which would go with a new stock. sorry, i should have clarified that. I'm FINE with a hinged floor plate from the get go, I just don't want a single shot.

Remington 700 sps varmint .308 change the stock to HS ( you can buy one on ebay for a good deal.) Karsten cheek piece good base, rings and scope,(Leupold Mark 4) trigger job ( I like 2.5LB ). And shoot the barrel till it gives up then you will know what caliber and set up is good for you. ONLY!

Make sure you torque down the Stock, base, and rings to proper inch pounds..Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet you're going to hear .308 a million times </div></div>

Makes that a million +1. Would vote for 308. Relatively cheap ammo compared to other calibers that can reach 1K.

If I had no rifles, knowing what I know now, I would buy a highend Remington clone (like a Surgeon RSR etc.) in .308 Win, spend a shitload of money on a premium FFP scope, sign up for a rifle course, and shoot another shitload of ammunition, learning how to shoot. My second rifle would be the same action/stock/scope in .260 Remington. My third rifle...........well you get the idea.

Good luck

Jerry

savage:
10 Precision Carbine
I have shot one after buying mine and wished I went with the accustock and shorter barrel very nice for the price.

10 FP
Have once and put a choate tactical on it and it shoots nice (DBM added when stock changed- also have the parts to make another 2 mags but want to make them the 8 rd mags and don’t have $160 bucks… maybe xmas time)

10 FCP HS Precision
Have shot one of these as well and was impressed but not as much as with the 10 PC.

Dicks Sporting goods carries a version of the 10FP that has a fluted barrel, accutrigger, accustock (so they claim- never looked at it close enough to tell other than a sticker) and very cheap glass on it (3x9-40) for around $800 I think. If it is a accustock it might be something to look at…

I am also pretty new to precision shooting so my opinion is worth little compared to others but I looked at a lot of things when buying mine since I was/am on a tight budget. Savages are good rifles for the price in my opinion but then again the 700’s have lots of options in aftermarket parts (and the AICS stock option that savage doesn't). I think the accu trigger was a big selling point to me it is crisp and clean vs the 700 (stock) IMO. So for me I was looking for a shooter out of the box and Savage was my answer.

PS- Million +2 on the 308

my only fault with the savage...IS the accutrigger. i hate the blade, so much that i removed it on my mk2...

the only thing holding me back from a rem...is the face of the piss poor machining they tend to release. I was originally going just buy a rem tactical and restock it with an a5....but:
rem tactical $600 OTD
mcm a5 $600 and long wait
true rem action $500 package deal off here

that's $1700 for a stock that STILL needs bedding! Now, i'm not scared to put money at it....that's what i do best, but it's still gonna hurt to do that and spend that much to get a rifle that's still needs more work (trigger and bedding mostly) Where as...the savage mcmillian is like $1200 (at the EXPENSIVE dealer) and it's GTG, right? I mean, that's $500 and NO wait time..walk in, pay, walk out with my rifle in under 30min. And the $500 is a LONG way towards getting the Viper PST i'm thinking about..or will flat out buy the falcon menace i'll get if the pst's don't get better reviews.

over on SC...their review says the savage HS is a better gun from the get-go though....any insight into that? it's also cheaper...and i do like the 700p HS stocks..best friend has had a few...

you can find the savage mcmillan on gunbroker for $1000 all day long try it and you wont regret it.

used or new? if new...then i'm sure my gun lady will at least match it...I'll check it out. my only thing is i "read" that it wasn't a normal A5 stock...but a "cheaper variant" with no bedding block

new and mcmillans don't have bedding blocks that is hs precision. i have owned 3 and i think they are perfect starter rifle and they felt the same as every other non ajustable a5 i have handled and that is alot.

GSR: I handload and shoot 223 and 308. if you are not concerned with terminal ballistics (what do you need to humanely kill a whistle pig?) and are not going long, the 223 will be cheaper and might suit you better. 308 powder charges are almost 2x and the bullets are probably 10 cents more a pop.

of course, 30 caliber bullet holes are easier to see.

Enjoy!

REM 700P in .308 end of story!!! You may not care for groups but you'll love them when you get'm. The .308 cartridge is an unbeatable all purpose round that gives you a great combination of range and accuracy in a load that won't destroy your shoulder. You already said you wanted a good stock well this one has it. Last but not least it is a proven rifle with endless praises throughout hunderds of threads and reviews. Add in the low price for one of these "BAD BOYS" and there is nothing else to discuss. I have one and since buying it I know of 5 others both friends and people at the range that have purchased one since seeing mine.

Get a 5R in .308. By the time you half kill the barrel you will most likely want something else and know just what you need/want. .308 in the easiest to find. I do not consider the .223 an option. I don't think it going to get the job done.
The 5R is lighter and more manageable than the 700P. The 700P is a great gun but I'd rather be dragging anything else on a stalk or even climbing a tree. Imention this because you spoke of hunting. I also prefer the stainless advantage of the 5R over the ordinance grade steel used.

I load .308 for $.42 each and it shoots better than the $1'a pop FGMM.

hunting will ONLY be whistle pigs...and it's from a stationary positing right outside one of the cabin's on my BIL's land....so no real worries about weight. We took his dad's 70lb AI 300wm up there one day and took a few lol....little excessive for 300yds though, but since our 1000yd range shut it was getting dusty.

i'm going today to look at the rem's...i DOUGHT i find a 5r at any of our local shops...but i'm going to look at the 700t, savage mcmillain again, there's a kimber tactical i was told to check out, and i'll just have to see what other bolts they have. most of the shops locally are all hunting guns with pencil barrels...hard to find a nice bolt gun in stock like i like.

I'd say you want a Rem 700 PSS Tactical w/ 20" 308 barrel for ~$600 and plan on wanting a new stock (w/ DBM if it suits you) at some point. Most of your shooting inside 500 yds you could do it a bit cheaper with 223 but then if you DO get a chance for 800+ the 223 is likely to be frustrating, particularly since the factory barrels are only 1:9 twist. With a 308 you can still load ammo relatively inexpensively, or have a myriad of options to buy ammo, you'll be just fine out to 1000 yds of non-competitive shooting and inside 700 yds you'll never know the difference between a cheap little 308 155Scenar and a 6.5 140VLD costing twice as much per shot.

Personally I wouldn't spend the extra money on a 5r. I'm not a huge fan of the stock (if you are, then most of this probably doesn't apply) and ultimately the barrel is still a factory barrel and chamber. I personally don't see spending an extra $500 bucks to get a stock I'll still want to replace eventually and a factory barrel that I couldn't realistically expect to shoot significantly better. For the savings by getting a PSS instead you could almost afford to get pretty much any stock you wanted (the DBM will still cost you more, but that's the same for both as the 5R is just a BDL) OR get a Mike Rock blank off of the for sale forum and have someone give you a match chamber in a hand-lapped barrel.

10 FCP HS Precision and don't look back. An amazing rifle and can be found for under $900.

Stock already has aluminum pillars. The Accu-Trigger is amazing right out of the box.

well, i went looking for rifles today....and an FNX-9..and found neither. the 2 shops i went to didn't even HAVE a savage that WASN'T a youth model and anything but the 700 sps varmits in 22-250 and 223...and then the triangle barreled crap. The only decent rem was a sendero fluted...but in 300RUM.. so i'm just gonna save up the cash for EVERYTHING...and have my gun lady at Viliiage Pawn just order me the Savage McMillian in .308. Met a local smith (literally a mile from my house) that's going to pillar the stock and then glass bed it and the recoil lug. He's also gonna cut the barrel down for me...to 20", recrown it, put on a custom brake, and cerakote it...

thanks for ya'lls help deciding, after i get the stuff in...i'll just make a build thread, in the mean time....i have to choose what scope/rail/rings i'm going with!

308 is a great choice always, especially for a "one rifle." But if you are serious about wanting to go out to 1K yards, then a longer barrel is highly recommended. It also depends on what you are shooting at 1K. If it's just large steel plates ,then a 20" barrel may suffice.

if i do get to go to 1000...it'll be steel. If, after, the build happens and i feel like i want something more....then i'll handle it, but that'll be a good while lol

I love these sorts of threads. I can just take something from my own wish list.

25-06 with Savage Accutrigger from what I can tell you're asking. It's a popular wildcat round. Been around a long time.

+1 on the 25/06 great rifle I've used ruger m 77 and in process of building a match 25/06 now very light recoil with good range and accuracy.

For bolt-action precision rifle would go with 308win, for factory loads and amply reloading data.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone here using 6.5x55? </div></div>

That's my vote.

Get a Tikka T3 used or new in 6.5x55.

I was very impressed with a friends bone stock T3 when we were shooting steel out to 1000Y.He was doing everything I was doing with my high dollar custom in 6x47L.

The T3 actions are smoother than most actions.It has a detachable magazine system.Good trigger.A long action for seating bullets out farther.

6.5x55 shoots flat,doesn't blow in the wind much,gets good barrel life and has moderate recoil.Factory ammo is readily available