• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What caliber??

22_250

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 20, 2010
Midland, TX
I know that caliber choice is going to invoke many opinions but that is basically what I am looking for, a second opnion. I have shot a 22-250 for years and love the round but in the past 2 years I have not been able to find factory loaded ammo (other than varmint rounds). So I am looking for a new caliber for long range hunting, but my question is what would be a round that will be fairly easy to aquire factory loads for long term? I was orginally thinking of the NATO 7.62 X 51 because even if the anti-gun government radicals restrict other rounds NATO could still be aquired. Suggestions???

Re: What caliber??

gun fever,

Learn to reload, learn to stockpile components in times of plenty, and never be prisoner to the whims and dictates of the legislators, or what a factory my offer over the counter.

That said, if you refuse to reload, buy what is popular over the course of years: 223, 243, 270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H. Excepting the current shortages of ammo, you are likely to find fodder in any of those calibers, in most places rifles are shot, or game is hunted.

Bob

You know guys, this attitude that is going around suck, I have been here for almost two years, and this "search for yourself" is getting old fast. This guy asked a good question, thank you for the guys who answered him promptly, now to the question asked, I like the 243 or the 308, the can handle most critters and there is a bunch factory ammo, but I agree with 338, you need to start reloading, that way it opens more doors for you. I would love to do the 6 x 47, I feel it would be a great fit for your hunting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You know guys, this attitude that is going around suck, I have been here for almost two years, and this "search for yourself" is getting old fast. This guy asked a good question, thank you for the guys who answered him promptly, now to the question asked, I like the 243 or the 308, the can handle most critters and there is a bunch factory ammo, but I agree with 338, you need to start reloading, that way it opens more doors for you. I would love to do the 6 x 47, I feel it would be a great fit for your hunting. </div></div>

I was thinking that we see an awful lot of these threads and that perhaps it might be an idea to have someone write an article on what calibres are out there and make it a sticky at the top of the sub-forum. At least that way people have a good start point to work from.

Unless of course there is another forum or thread that has this information that might be linked / stickied?

I don't have the knowledge (still stuck on .22lr, 223 Rem and 308 Win factory ammo) but there seems to be alot of blokes on this site who know their poop and could put a basic outline together.

Just a thought.

Have you saved all that 22-250 brass over the years?
As others have said, learn to reload. Rolling your own can be fun and its very rewarding.

Alaska-

I've answered this question 4 times in the last 2 weeks. If you use that search engine I posted it will pop up the answers immediately.

There's a point to how many times you can answer a question knowing that the answer is literally in a similarly titled thread only 17 threads lower on the page.

Engin-

That's a good idea on a sticky, I'll PM a mod and see if they'll sticky it assuming that I write it.

For hunting, .30-'06. For longer distances, .30-'06.

I expect to be long dead before this chambering becomes widely unavailable.

Of course, I'm 64 and have a bum ticker, too...

These days, for shooters; maybe that's not such a terrible liability...

Some of the crap I see on the horizon, maybe I'm not so eager to be around for...

+1 on keeping the 22-250 and start reloading. The 22-250 can be a very versitile cartridge if reloaded.

The reason all the factory ammo you can find for the 22-250 is varmint ammo is it is a varmint round not a long range round. the twist on factory rifles if you are lucky is faster than a 12 twist but most are only 12 twist barrels so you are limited to 55gr poly tipped projectiles or 60gr flat based projectiles all have a relatively low BC so you would actualy be better with a 223 8 twist factory rifle and shoot 75-77gr match ammo. if it is for hunting bigger animals than P Dogs a 308 is very versatile and lots of match and factory ammo available for it. if you have shot out the barrel get a 9 twist fitted to the 250 and learn to reload then start launching 80gr A Max's through the rifle i would also have it rechambered to 22-250AI if i did that but i personaly would step up to a 6mm for varmints or slightly larger game chamber for a 6.5 creedmore and you have awsome match ammo and it is a great hunting cartrige aswell.

You just have to specify what you want to shoot and what the distances you are happy to shoot to.

now be realistic aswell just dont jump from 200 yards with a 22-250 and thing a rebarrel will have you shooting 1000 yards without more equiptment a better scope perhaps and lots of practice and that is where reloading comes in.

Listen to the Marine two posts up. when the world has eroded to a smoking ash heap, you'll still be able to find three things: cockroaches, Cher, and 30-06 rounds...

nothing wrong with the old 06 but more 308 is made these days but the thread starter has not even come back stating what he wants to use the rifle for. the advantage with the 308 is you can buy match or hunting ammo in nearly every country and gunshop the world over the 30-06 is a great cartrige but if he has shot out his 22-250 he can rebarrel to the 308.

We realy need some more info from the guy asking the question. but i dont expect much a 22-250 is a varmint round and he is complaining because factory ammo is made for varmint shooting.

What does he want to do with it.

the thing with the 30-06 is you can take nearly any animal on earth with various factory offerings and the light magnum loads bring it up to where it should be loaded above factory 308 loads.