• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Strangedays

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2009
    Tacoma Washington
    I have been looking for a good camp axe to take backpacking and weekend camp trips. I was looking at the E45E Estwing and was just curious if anyone has used it and if there are any other ones worth looking at that won't break the bank. Thanks

Re: What Camp Axe

+2 for Gransfors...they are incredible axes, for the normal person you will probably never notice the difference, but for exp people, these are leaps and bounds above the rest. Grew up in a logging town (where they use axes regularly) and this was the preferred tool above all else.

Reactions: MSTN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barlowrs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+2 for Gransfors...they are incredible axes, for the normal person you will probably never notice the difference, but for exp people, these are leaps and bounds above the rest. Grew up in a logging town (where they use axes regularly) and this was the preferred tool above all else. </div></div>
    I am looking for one that has a bit longer handle but the reviews on these looks great. Maybe I will just go with the normal hatchet style and buy the Gransfors. Thanks everyone

Strangedays,

Hatches are a waste of time and energy. I learned that a long, long time ago in Boy Scouts.

I have an Estwing camp axe that's, I guess, about 26" long or so. Good leverage and packs well in a canoe, truck or anything else.

Never heard of teh Gransfors, but then I'm not from a serious logging area of the country.

Fiskars axes(they also make Gerber's axes) are inexpensive, sharp, and handle business as well. I've never had a problem with mine.

Reactions: thejeep

I have and use a Hunters axe with a 19" handle and a felling axe with a 31" handle. I will say again that they have amazing steel. Each one is stamped with the forgers name so they are accountable.

I have been thinking of their Scandinavian Model since it has a 25" handle and a slightly larger head. Would probably replace both of the ones I currently have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barlowrs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+2 for Gransfors...they are incredible axes, for the normal person you will probably never notice the difference, but for exp people, these are leaps and bounds above the rest. Grew up in a logging town (where they use axes regularly) and this was the preferred tool above all else. </div></div>
    I am looking for one that has a bit longer handle but the reviews on these looks great. Maybe I will just go with the normal hatchet style and buy the Gransfors. Thanks everyone</div></div>

They acutally make all kinds of falling axes, hatchets, etc. Not just the one posted. Here is a site that sells quite a few:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/gransfors-bruks-axes.aspx

So here is the question I have. Both have the same reviews all 5 star comments. What makes it worth spending $200+ compared to the estwing for $40 shipped? I know with gun stuff you get what you pay for but again I know why it cost what it does. I am much more ignorant on axes
    smile.gif

Like comparing a ruger to a AI. Sure both are will shoot a bullet and tons of people are just fine shooting rugers.

The quality of steel will hold a edge and get to razor sharp fairly easy. Plus they are a work of art. And I'm sure either will work for you. As pounding tent pegs will be allot easier with the eastwig. My axe falls in the same category as my knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbuck88</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like comparing a ruger to a AI. Sure both are will shoot a bullet and tons of people are just fine shooting rugers.

The quality of steel will hold a edge and get to razor sharp fairly easy. Plus they are a work of art. And I'm sure either will work for you. As pounding tent pegs will be allot easier with the eastwig. My axe falls in the same category as my knife. </div></div>
    Well put. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fiskars axes(they also make Gerber's axes) are inexpensive, sharp, and handle business as well. I've never had a problem with mine. </div></div>
    I also have the Fiskars7850X7.......14"... hand axe....good steel,good balance.... used it for a week up in the Boundry Waters.... 3 times a day.... not a problem with it and a pleasure to use...20$ from Amazon....
    bill larson

I can't see the reasoning behind spending so much $$$ for a camp axe. A nice knife, gun, tent, etc... absolutely because you won't plan on damaging those items intentionally, but an axe is built to be used, beat up, and worked over.

Another thing that about the functional art axes is that they all have wedged wood handles - which are prettier, but suck in durability compared to a molded composite or alloy handle. Forgemaker's name or not, most of those $40.00 composite handled axes have lifetime guarantees.

To have something that I'm going to use & use without concise effort towards it's condition or care beyond keeping it sharp, the Eastwing, Gerber and/or Fiskars axes are priced accordingly.

Sharpening an axe is easy enough,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see the reasoning behind spending so much $$$ for a camp axe. A nice knife, gun, tent, etc... absolutely because you won't plan on damaging those items intentionally, but an axe is built to be used, beat up, and worked over.

Another thing that about the functional art axes is that they all have wedged wood handles - which are prettier, but suck in durability compared to a molded composite or alloy handle. Forgemaker's name or not, most of those $40.00 composite handled axes have lifetime guarantees.

To have something that I'm going to use & use without concise effort towards it's condition or care beyond keeping it sharp, the Eastwing, Gerber and/or Fiskars axes are priced accordingly.

Sharpening an axe is easy enough, </div></div>
    I agree. I think I will save the money and buy both the estwing and the fiskars. Both have liftetime warrantees and both have handles that look better for what I need than a wood handle. I will get one shorter for longer hikes and the longer one for around camp. Thanks for all the comments.

i don't see the concern with wood handles. i have 2 axes, 1 shovel, 2 pickax ... all of them from the time when my grandfather built his house. so they are like 60 years old now. and i only managed to tear of handle of a pickax when i was digging out the root of a dwarf-pine.

in my hand, i prefer wood. when we do some work in winter, wood is just tons better in my hand. especially because it doesn't drain the heat from my hand.

besides, i can get a fresh wood handle in tons of places within 10km.

what i use: a husqvarna camping axe. mine just doesn't look as nice anymore
    wink.gif

campingaxt-6092d6be.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't see the reasoning behind spending so much $$$ for a camp axe. A nice knife, gun, tent, etc... absolutely because you won't plan on damaging those items intentionally, but an axe is built to be used, beat up, and worked over.

Sharpening an axe is easy enough, </div></div>
    I agree. I think I will save the money and buy both the estwing and the fiskars. Both have liftetime warrantees and both have handles that look better for what I need than a wood handle. I will get one shorter for longer hikes and the longer one for around camp. Thanks for all the comments. </div></div>

I'd rather get a $5 knife from the bargain bin and have a quality axe. or trade in a 1911 for a used hi point. knives, gun, axes are not created equal. its about the quality of the steel.

food for thought: wood baseball bats are more durable than metal bats......a metal bat would dent immediately in major league baseball. Not all woods are created equal.

gransfors bruks!

Edge geometry,steel quality are just two reasons.The Estwings and Fiskers are clumsy at best for real wood work.They are fine for small jobs but cut a bunch with one and you'll be very unimpressed.Wood handles last forever if you hit what your swinging at.

As said above a good axe is worth more then damb near anything else in the woods.

And if you just can't bring yourself to get the best.A fair bit behind but still better then the other choices are Wetterling and Snow & Nealy.

Gransfors or Wetterlings (exact same construction) for me.
    I can see no difference between the two except in someone's mind.

Both are superb woodsmans tools that are way beyond a Fiscars.
    The Fiscars can be made sharp, but the steel is garbage and will not keep that razor edge for more than a few minutes..at best.

Until you try an axe like this there is no describing how well it works in the woods.
    The Silky Saw is another almost unheard of woodsman tools that has to be used to be appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus Christ, you aint' cuttin down the Pacific Northwest, just some freakin campfire wood!!! </div></div>

Yeah what are we thinking?

People pay $200 plus for a small skinning knife.All your doing is skinning a little deer.

3k for scopes ....Jesus your just shooting at a target.

4k for rifles ....hell a Marlin is $300 at Walmart its just shooting a bullet.

It's ok if you don't need or want the performance of a good axe.But some use them for more then a" little campfire wood".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus Christ, you aint' cuttin down the Pacific Northwest, just some freakin campfire wood!!! </div></div>

While you live in temperature controlled GA dry with dry wood and twigs all over the place, I live in one of the wettest, sometimes coldest, unforgiving environments on earth.
    You wouldn't last one night in the pissing/freezing rain.

I can also spend time in remote hunting camps every year 17 hours drive and a bush plane flight from civilization. If the weather turns bad (not that you would even remotely understand what that means) I am stranded, the plane is not coming, and NOBODY is coming to help me.
    The last time this happened I spent 2 1/2 weeks waiting for a plane...No biggy I am always prepared.

They strap what is left of guys like you to the bottom of the plane...The smell and all...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus Christ, you aint' cuttin down the Pacific Northwest, just some freakin campfire wood!!! </div></div>

While you live in temperature controlled GA dry with dry wood and twigs all over the place, I live in one of the wettest, sometimes coldest, unforgiving environments on earth.

I can also spend time in remote hunting camps every year 17 hours drive and a bush plane flight from civilization. If the weather turns bad (not that you would even remotely understand what that means) I am stranded, the plane is not coming, and NOBODY is coming to help me.
    The last time this happened I spent 2 1/2 weeks waiting for a plane...No biggy I am always prepared.

They strap what is left of guys like you to the bottom of the plane...The smell and all...
    </div></div>
    tumblr_lngsublstK1qm38sio1_250.jpg

Yeah bro, all because you bought a several hundred dollar axe. Badass in every endeavor huh? So, basically its buy a Fiskars for a weekend camping trip and you'll end up fucking dead!! Ever been to Idaho?

And metal bats aren't used in the majors because every connection would be a greater risk of injury to the infields because the ball would be traveling faster. Nothing more to it than that. Baseballs dent aluminum bats but not wooden ones?! Last I checked, if you hit metal against wood, wood looses....wait isn't that what the fuck all of this hatchet talk boils down to anyway - metal busting wood's ass?!?!

You think someone who wants to get a simple camp axe is going to need a $300.00+ axe? You think that wood is a better material for a guy likely to miss and hit his handle? You think a an argument about cutting deer with a knife belongs in a, "which camp axe should I buy" thread?!!

Did you all miss the part about weekend camping trips and backpacking? Ever hear of the term overkill?

WTF brand of axe cost 300+ bucks? I got GB scadinavian forest axe for a little over a hundred bucks and worth every penny if you know how to use and maintain it, but be warned of letting friends borrow it and coming back with chips in the edge and handle. but i think a fiskars will do most people just fine.

IIRC my Wetterlings was 70 bucks. The Gransfors is a bit more.
    The gerber/Fiscars is what $40.00?
    So for a bit more money do you get 5 times the axe?
    I think so.
    You certainly get an axe for a lifetime.

Use the Gransfors side by side with the Gerber and tell us the extra money is wasted.
    The Gransfor will look after camping trips in Idaho and will be there if you really need it.

Yah, I've been to Idaho...Stick to the flatlands or you will die!
    smile.gif

I guess I need an explanation as to why a difference of 2-3 on the RC hardness scale makes a Wetterlings SO much better than a composite handled Fiskars that costs less and has a lifetime warranty. So, with a $40 axe, you get an axe for a lifetime - as you put it.

Granted, I am assuming that most are capable of sharpening an axe if necessary and if I planned on doing more that chopping some firewood, I'd forego all this hatchet/axe BS and take a chainsaw.

So, with that said, it seems to me that there are simply those who find some sort of high line purity in a "hand forged" wooden handled axe verses a shitty "production forged" composite handled axe.

Cool, so you've got a nicer axe than the next guy by your standard. I'm fine with that - just like I'm fine with my uncle clowning on my .308 because it isn't a traditional high figured wood stocked rifle with a Leupold riding on it. I'll say the same here that I say to him, "It's kept you mad long enough to make me like it even more".

The point here is that there are different views on intended use, value for dollar, durability, and tools to fit the need. Everything has it's place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jesus Christ, you aint' cuttin down the Pacific Northwest, just some freakin campfire wood!!! </div></div>

</div></div>
    tumblr_lngsublstK1qm38sio1_250.jpg

Yeah bro, all because you bought a several hundred dollar axe. Badass in every endeavor huh? So, basically its buy a Fiskars for a weekend camping trip and you'll end up fucking dead!! Ever been to Idaho?

And metal bats aren't used in the majors because every connection would be a greater risk of injury to the infields because the ball would be traveling faster. Nothing more to it than that. Baseballs dent aluminum bats but not wooden ones?! Last I checked, if you hit metal against wood, wood looses....wait isn't that what the fuck all of this hatchet talk boils down to anyway - metal busting wood's ass?!?!

You think someone who wants to get a simple camp axe is going to need a $300.00+ axe? You think that wood is a better material for a guy likely to miss and hit his handle? You think a an argument about cutting deer with a knife belongs in a, "which camp axe should I buy" thread?!!

Did you all miss the part about weekend camping trips and backpacking? Ever hear of the term overkill?
    </div></div>

what a jackass......misses the point of all three posts he is trying to insult. no need to even try to explain it....... not enough marbles to understand it.

Really, Cameron, so much drama ...

2gvna1e.gif

Omnivore Bladeworks recon scout tomahawk. Best sharp edged item I ever took backpacking. Here's a couple of pics for ya:

hawk with sheath:
    DSC_7301.JPG

sheath retention system:
    DSC_7303.JPG

DSC_7304.JPG

Out of the sheath:
    DSC_7305.JPG

using the top edge to shape a spearpoint for a shelter leg:
    DSC_7309.JPG

3" of hardwood in two hits:
    DSC_7310.JPG

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wintermute</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Omnivore Bladeworks recon scout tomahawk. Best sharp edged item I ever took backpacking. Here's a couple of pics for ya:

hawk with sheath:
    DSC_7301.JPG

sheath retention system:
    DSC_7303.JPG

DSC_7304.JPG

Out of the sheath:
    DSC_7305.JPG

using the top edge to shape a spearpoint for a shelter leg:
    DSC_7309.JPG

3" of hardwood in two hits:
    DSC_7310.JPG

--Wintermute </div></div>
    I like the looks of this one, the para cord handle and looks like it eats right through vine maple
    smile.gif

Wintermute,
    My buddy has one of those...Quite the piece of hardware!
    It is the sharpest axe I have ever handled.
    I made the unfortunate mistake of letting the handle slip down like you might a grab a hatchet....Stupid hurts...and took a trip to the hospital!!

The Scout might be the ultimate CQB weapon...That thing is plain frightening with its lethal capability!

Yeah, all the sharp edges take some getting used to...I've used mine to shape pegs, chop down 1' diameter trees, etc... and it's still shaving sharp. I haven't even had to touch it up. They really are amazingly well designed tools. As a weapon, I can tell you I absolutely wouldn't want to be anywhere near the receiving end of one.

--Wintermute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what a jackass......misses the point of all three posts he is trying to insult. no need to even try to explain it....... not enough marbles to understand it. </div></div>

Who is the jackass? You're posting boils down to "well, I'm going to assume you spend money to have top of the line shit for every other aspect of use I'm going to haphazardly list ...and then I'll clown you for it".

Then you post the dumbest shit ever written about baseball bats of all things, <span style="font-style: italic">and THEN </span> you do a 180 and state you'd take a bin knife but you must have a good axe....you're all over the place. and not even adhering to your own logic.

Have_4e929f_260461.jpg

...and you're the guy claiming that I'm mentally challenged and a jackass. I think you're proving my points very well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what a jackass......misses the point of all three posts he is trying to insult. no need to even try to explain it....... not enough marbles to understand it. </div></div>

Who is the jackass? You're posting boils down to "well, I'm going to assume you spend money to have top of the line shit for every other aspect of use I'm going to haphazardly list ...and then I'll clown you for it".

Then you post the dumbest shit ever written about baseball bats of all things, <span style="font-style: italic">and THEN </span> you do a 180 and state you'd take a bin knife but you must have a good axe....you're all over the place. and not even adhering to your own logic.

Have_4e929f_260461.jpg

...and you're the guy claiming that I'm mentally challenged and a jackass. I think you're proving my points very well.

</div></div>

Did you just quote something that was not actually said? LOL
    You must have been absent the day we learned how to use quotes in 2nd grade.

My reference to baseball bats was to make the point that wood can be very durable. Pretty simple to understand.

Wintermute.....thanks for sharing the Omnivore Bladeworks. Seems like a good option to consider depending on the type of camp work a guy is looking to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">I'd rather get a $5 knife from the bargain binand have a quality axe. or trade in a 1911 for a used hi point. knives, gun, axes are not created equal. its about the quality of the steel.</span>

food for thought: <span style="font-weight: bold">wood baseball bats are more durable than metal bats</span>......<span style="color: #CC0000">a metal bat would dent immediately in major league baseball</span>. Not all woods are created equal.</div></div>

In your first post on this topic, you make an attempt at a point (though no attempt whatsoever at correct punctuation, pluralization, or composition) but fail to make any sense.

In paragraph two, you make an absurd assertion and then follow it up with with more non-sequitur comparative babble. This is the only format you seem to follow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what a jackass......misses the point of all three posts he is trying to insult. no need to even try to explain it....... not enough marbles to understand it.</div></div>

Again with the writing...though, to be fair you learned how to do all this in second grade, so, maybe you're just rusty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you just quote something that was not actually said? LOL
    You must have been absent the day we learned how to use quotes in 2nd grade.

My reference to baseball bats was to make the point that wood can be very durable. Pretty simple to understand.</div></div>

Quote something? No. Put something into quotations as if someone <span style="font-style: italic">were</span> speaking within the context of my writing? Yes.

<span style="font-style: italic">To quote means to repeat the exact words of another with the acknowledgement of the source.
    A quotation is a phrase or a sentence from a book or a speech that reflects the author's profound thoughts.

Often the words quote and quotation are used as substitutes for each other. Quote is a verb and Quotation is a noun. So, in effect, you quote a quotation.</span>

See, you would be correct if you had some semblance of a grasp on reading comprehension and/or grammar, but you're incorrectly applying your limited understanding of what I write (and writing in general) to this instance.

I think we're done here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wintermute.....thanks for sharing the Omnivore Bladeworks. Seems like a good option to consider depending on the type of camp work a guy is looking to do. </div></div>

No problem. I spent a few years trying out different hatchets, large knives, axes, etc... for camping and backpacking in the pacific northwest. Large knives had worked well for me in dryer areas with smaller trees (like southern california). I found out really quickly that up here you need something with more mechanical advantage. Tried a few hatchets and they were all too heavy or too single use. Found Jared's stuff (Omnivore Bladeworks) and decided to give the recon a shot and it's the best thing I've found. Honestly I couldn't find a flaw with it. It's lightweight yet built very solid, holds a perfect edge, is very multi-use, is easy to carry and deploy, and it gives a great mechanical advantage. It goes with me on every trip backpacking or just driving out to camp.

--Wintermute

DSC_7305.JPG

Very nice looking hawk & there are some interesting knife designs (SERE) that would seem to work well for batoning on the Omnivore site too. What is the largest diameter piece of that you have chopped through with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the largest diameter piece of that you have chopped through with it? </div></div>

1 foot diameter standing alder
    smile.gif

--Wintermute

Wow, who knew axes could get some complex

so complex or that 2 grown ass men would argue over baseball bats?lol kelly perfect double bit axe for me circa 1960s vintage,gerber camp hatchet.

All over a damn 100 dollar axe. Funny you dont see people arguing over a overpriced 300 dollar knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtask</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess I need an explanation as to why a difference of 2-3 on the RC hardness scale makes a Wetterlings SO much better than a composite handled Fiskars that costs less and has a lifetime warranty. So, with a $40 axe, you get an axe for a lifetime - as you put it.

</div></div>

I missed this.

The steel used in the good axes may be harder, but it is of completely different hand forged (tougher) construction.
    If you ever get the chance have a look at a Gransfors or Wetterlings then compare it to the Gerber. What you will see is the leading edge is so much thinner (less than 1/2 thickness) giving the axe deep cutting/bite ability with minimal effort yet the edge stays razor sharp for hundreds of time longer than the Gerber.
    FWIW expect the Gerber to go dull on your first tree...they are that soft.
    Swinging both axes into hardwood for minutes makes anyone a believer...Worth all the money and then some.